2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Creek behind the house is getting stupid high.  Starting to encroach the backyard, but hasn't broken the banks yet (into my yard at least). Though there may be a fence in the creek soon enough if this wind doesn't die down soon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Lots of clouds in Austin. Better head to HEB before the shelves are cleaned out.

The slight breeze blew some items out of my trash bin onto the curb. I’ve called emergency services and will post a gofundme link soon to help with my recovery

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Hate said:

We were at Lake Buchanan this weekend so we stopped at the HEB in Burnet to get some supplies in case we are without power for a day or two. The Woodlands is expected to do in the worst quadrant when the eye passes by.  It should be an interesting morning. 

Your place is in Tow...or maybe Shaw Island, right? The boy and I fished up there Saturday morning. Launched at Cedar Point and fished those coves down towards the LCRA cabins. The shallows are a minefield of floating and submerged debris, but it's good to see water in the lake. The Cedar Point ramp had been closed for almost a year. 

This eye has pegged east and is going to go right over the damn loop. 

Trying to upload video but apparently cell service is trash at the moment. 

Yup, family in the Missouri City area seem to have lost cell service about an hour ago.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It had been flirting with it the last hour or so, but looks like we now actually lost power in 77008. 

Still on in 77008 but it’s in the on/off for 30 seconds/on/off for 30 seconds cycle 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

More power flickers in Spring Branch but still have lights on. My neighbor's fence has half gotten ripped outta the ground and is wiggling in the direction of my garage so hope that stays put. My wife noticed our master bathroom vent fan was dripping water, getting pushed in through the exterior vent

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ain't no skirting with this bitch.  She's taking dead aim at downtown.

Good, I don’t want to go in the office tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, APMP said:
16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:
This eye has pegged east and is going to go right over the damn loop. 

Trying to upload video but apparently cell service is trash at the moment. 

Yup, family in the Missouri City area seem to have lost cell service about an hour ago.

You have other relatives. You’ll be fine..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Still on in 77008 but it’s in the on/off for 30 seconds/on/off for 30 seconds cycle 

Same. My wife said same was happening in the woodlands. Maybe it’s a whole citywide cycle thing and not indicative of downed lines.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Same here.  Our office sent out a note yesterday saying they expected the office to be open on Tuesday.  Fuck that shit.

I mean, the only question on going to the office is whether or not there’s power. It’ll be sunny by this evening. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Same. My wife said same was happening in the woodlands. Maybe it’s a whole citywide cycle thing and not indicative of downed lines.

I've definitely heard the occasional distant pop, followed by a brief dimming of my lights, so I'd bet there's a bit of oscillating happening as available voltage on the grid spikes up and down that causes the step down stations to skip offline

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, the only question on going to the office is whether or not there’s power. It’ll be sunny by this evening. 

My office was surrounded by scaffolding for ongoing window repairs from the derecho, who knows where that shit is going to wind up.  No telling how many trees could be down between my house and the office.

It's a little more involved than just power availability.

11 transmission lines down, per Lina.  Shocker. 

But Centerpoint figured out how to route around them after the Derecho, apparently. 4k more personnel joining the 2500 here for recovery efforts.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Beryl you fat cunt.  I live a couple miles east of i35 in Austin and we won’t see a drop of rain

waaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I live in central Texas and this hurricane missed me.

waaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Beryl you fat cunt.  I live a couple miles east of i35 in Austin and we won’t see a drop of rain

Told my friends in San Antonio who have been bitching about no rain that they moved out to the near desert on their own, more than welcome to move back to Houston if they want rain…

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Stay safe assholes. 

Even Greenspoint, who we all know is busy performing emergency brain surgery on 2 puppies at the same time right now. 

There will be documentaries about his heroism, much like the doctors who stayed at the NOLA hospitals after Katrina.

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

they expected the office to be open on Tuesday.

Yeah, the windows will be busted out.  Technically, it will be open.

• Hook 'Em 1

Had our first power flicker and heard a boom.  Generators running on the street behind me, but so far we're still up and running.

I don't have much confidence it's going to last much longer.  Still, I'm pretty happy with how long it has lasted.

• Hook 'Em 1