2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

You know the two sentiments aren’t mutually exclusive, right? Us bitching about getting nothing also means we’re upset y’all are having to go through this. It would’ve been better for the state as a whole if it made landfall almost anywhere else on the coast between Houston and Brownsville. Don’t take our complaints as diminishing the shit y’all are yet again dealing with.

Fuck off. Time and place. This is not the time nor the place.

• Hook 'Em 6

@SquishMitten Sure, of course. My counterpoint would be that there’s a rain thread as well where that bitching seems like fair game. Bitching about it on the hurricane thread while some of us are eating shit again and are trying to get updated news seems…unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Yeah, well, Brisket always manages to power through that, and you will too. 

It’s different when the house is shaking from something other than your own shitting, however. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I never understood the purpose of the alarms on UPS.  Yeah, I know I don't have power.  I'm sitting here in the fucking dark.

Probably to wake you up if power goes out in the night so you can make sure you’re topped off with gas, cut any non-essential power use, etc.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

That's a "Fuck you, Houston" path if I've ever seen one.

[CSB] I went to high school with Billy.  He was a big weather nerd back then too. [/CSB]

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

That's a "Fuck you, Houston" path if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, but it least it went over the Yucatan and weakened significantly first.  I know it sucks, but it coulda been worse.

This is gonna be a nasty season.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

@SquishMitten Sure, of course. My counterpoint would be that there’s a rain thread as well where that bitching seems like fair game. Bitching about it on the hurricane thread while some of us are eating shit again and are trying to get updated news seems…unnecessary. 

Fair enough. Hadn’t considered that point. My apologies. Lots of family and friends in Houston that I’m worried about, you being one of them. Hope y’all get through with minimal damage and not without power for too long.

Holla if you need anything. Supposed to be in court in Galveston on Thursday if anybody needs supplies and whatnot that can’t be found locally.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

East Texas about to get a hell of a douching 

then it all drains back through hou

We've been at Summer's Eve stage in northeast Texas for the past month (as far as June weather goes).  We now have 36 hours of flash flood warnings.  Hopefully, we can soak some of it up for you guys.  But the tree roots already have too much wiggle going on for my liking.

Edited by dcbc

Finally got a break in the rain and walked my dog, but it was still 30-40mph winds. About half of the exterior fencing in my neighborhood got K/O'd but I haven't seen any shingles on the ground so that's a good sign

• Hook 'Em 1

Power stayed out at 3 and then att cell service went to shit. The tree that was on my roof came off. Brazoria is a bit torn up. A few trees on houses and trailers. Quite a few small roads blocked. My tree feel on my fence, my neighbor lost her green house and I think her solar panels got a tree on them. The baseball field fence and some of the concessions look like they got trees on them too

We got 10” of rain from 8p to about 8a. I didn’t empty my gauge until then, but we definitely got a decent amount during the day before that. 

660AC82B-DB19-4286-B401-E51970D355C1.jpeg

85DADA5A-60AF-4593-8898-0E5921BBED28.jpeg

1855FD2F-9949-4754-90C3-C15BCEB09FE1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It amazes me that people are out driving in that shit. Unless they have elective procedures scheduled, of course.

Look man, I ain't gonna let no goddamn government-issued warning keep me from Chili's and SportClips!  

Hope y'all are doing okay.  Good lord, these streams of photos of downed trees.  I knew it'd be bad, but some of that shit could easily take out a house/car/person.  It's cold comfort, but in a few days/a week...you can prune oaks safely which you usually shouldn't do later in the hurricane season.  Not much wilt this time year despite being a way-too-fucking early hurricane.  We're going to look at a multi-family upgrade we're doing in Houston later this month.  I'm gonna bring a chainsaw and a few extra guys and just have 'em work on the units for a day and then we'll just make trouble chopping up limbs the other half of the weekend at same pay rate.  This has been a weird storm to say the least.  God bless.

12 minutes ago, Okie State said:

It amazes me that people are out driving in that shit. Unless they have elective procedures scheduled, of course.

Finding colon cancer > dying by flood. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They were repairing it and evidently were supposed to finish by this afternoon. I hope they got it fixed enough to take the length. We don't need to add a dam failure to the list of shit the region is facing.

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have read some stupid shit on this site, but cleaning up your driveway DURING a hurricane might win.

Unless he could no longer be cooped up with his wife. I understand his sentiment when dealing with my ex.

Maybe his wife told him to clean it up during a hurricane. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I have read some stupid shit on this site, but cleaning up your driveway DURING a hurricane might win.

Unless he could no longer be cooped up with his wife. I understand his sentiment when dealing with my ex.

Five minutes later another guy came riding down the street on his motorcycle. We’re still getting 40 mph gusts. I am surrounded by aggy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2