2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Very happy and blessed that I only intermittently lost power this morning and it’s been back on for good since 1030-11ish but quite baffled that Comcast kept the internet on whenever I had power this morning but as soon as the sun came out this afternoon it packed it in and went out… and Verizon cell service is 56k modem speed right now…oh well going little house on the prairie with a DVD player and bunny ears for the time being

3 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Very happy and blessed that I only intermittently lost power this morning and it’s been back on for good since 1030-11ish but quite baffled that Comcast kept the internet on whenever I had power this morning but as soon as the sun came out this afternoon it packed it in and went out… and Verizon cell service is 56k modem speed right now…oh well going little house on the prairie with a DVD player and bunny ears for the time being

Cell towers all over Houston are fucked up man. It’ll be that way for awhile. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Candlelight and OF have some damage.  I have seen more homes damaged on this one than during the derecho.  Cars and homes crunched by trees.   Woodcrest street homes got unlucky.    Candlelight Lane Park and FBMS have some damage.  Oak Forest Elm has mostly some limb damage, a little awning in the side of the school is damaged, and the shed on Oak Forest Blvd was pushed off its base a bit.   Kids did get a kick out of the port-a-potties blown down.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Internets just came back up on the far west side of town. Cellular appears to still be down.

Generator did well. I need an OTA antenna for the TV. I also have lost my hand crank radio. Need to replace that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Internets just came back up on the far west side of town. Cellular appears to still be down.

Generator did well. I need an OTA antenna for the TV. I also have lost my hand crank radio. Need to replace that.

The derecho was a wake up call for our hurricane prep. Hand crank radio is a godsend for info when cell phones start to crap out 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Having read Carlos Casteneda in the ‘70s, I would be worried that the possum is RDCanecutter in his Bruho form. 

You passed the test, mijo. Blessings will come to you in keeping with your kind heart.

It's thundering again here like it has for days when not raining. Not so much hurricane as normal wet hot jungle-rot season.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Cell towers all over Houston are fucked up man. It’ll be that way for awhile. 

I think that most cell towers have a battery backup that is only good for so many hours…

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I think that most cell towers have a battery backup that is only good for so many hours…

And the same with most of the internet providers switching boxes (or whatever they are called) while my fiber provider (Tachus) has Generacs on each of their neighborhood boxes…

55 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Just got cellular back about 10 mins ago.  Hope y’all got thru unscathed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

West side of town before the beltway and south of the Katy Fwy. Power went out in the morning and cell phone service and internet went out around noon. Finally was able to get service driving through Tanglewood. Just got word that the standby generator at where I’m staying crapped out with an error message. Fuck this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Grimas said:

Entergy just put out a statement it will be several days until they fully restore power. 

Hahahaha

i remember when Austin made a similar statement during one of our debacles.

More like several weeks if you’re lucky 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Okie State said:

You sure are asking a lot of the common clay of the new West.

Common clay driving a jacked up F350 almost killed someone in an Elantra because he had not a single bit of curiosity as to why people were stopped in the left 3 lanes of a 4 lane street.

• Rage+1 2

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Attn morons: intersections with dead traffic lights are all way stops, and work on a clockwise basis. When you get to the front of the line, look to your right. Those people get to go first. 

But if we all get there at the same time, and everyone is to the right of someone.... 

the hangover GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Common clay driving a jacked up F350 almost killed someone in an Elantra because he had not a single bit of curiosity as to why people were stopped in the left 3 lanes of a 4 lane street.

To be fair to the F350 guy, he was gonna buy some supplies to help out those in need but got distracted at the intersection flipping up his Oakleys on the most overcast day in Houston history to post a TikTok video about why the water was brown.  

We're trying to get some trucks from our Austin terminal out to y'all with supplies, but it's gonna take a few days to work out the supply chain.  A lot changed in the last 48 hours, and even if the floodwaters/bayous are favorable, we wanna help but don't wanna get in the way.  It's a lot of Aldi products.  But we're deferring to HEB since they can do this shit in their sleep.  One our domicile logistics higher-ups waited all day to speak with the State of Texas, but apparently they were busy partying overseas or some shit.  There isn't much this state can't fuck up from energy to preparedness, but it's always good to see regular Texans marshaling resources to help one another out.  All of humanity does it, actually.  But we got some really slick looking tractor-trailers ready to roll.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Did some work with Com Ed as a contractor way back in the day along I70 in Chicago. Great leadership, good dudes and you make money. No CR but the unions were awesome 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tree trimmers are first responder heroes now. Cool. 

They’ve always been the “first responders”, they just don’t get cool military toys and stuff. They do the job though.  I’d rather they get the prime spot at Home Depot over the fatass disabled vet that served, well, served, and I got the purple diabetes!

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They’ve always been the “first responders”, they just don’t get cool military toys and stuff. They do the job though.

Yeah I don't get his take. I teach my boys to be/look for the helpers. Those are the people of value in society. If shit needs to be done and a person does it, do we value them more or less bc of their 'status' or do we respect their value because they do the job? If everyone has a shit view like patio, we are doomed. Sadly we are here as a society.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Attn morons: intersections with dead traffic lights are all way stops, and work on a clockwise basis. When you get to the front of the line, look to your right. Those people get to go first. 

TIL who runs the TxDOT social media department

Screenshot-20240708-201339-Facebook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

They’ve always been the “first responders”, they just don’t get cool military toys and stuff. They do the job though.  I’d rather they get the prime spot at Home Depot over the fatass disabled vet that served, well, served, and I got the purple diabetes!

They should get some cerakoted Kleins and a picatinny rail for their chain saw. Then they could become Tactical Linemen and tree trimmers. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

They should get some cerakoted Kleins and a picatinny rail for their chain saw. Then they could become Tactical Linemen and tree trimmers. 

The guys that go out and try to fix shit in these conditions are heroes in my book, all I was saying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Yeah I don't get his take. I teach my boys to be/look for the helpers. Those are the people of value in society. If shit needs to be done and a person does it, do we value them more or less bc of their 'status' or do we respect their value because they do the job? If everyone has a shit view like patio, we are doomed. Sadly we are here as a society.

I’m a little bit biased though, my best friends dad was a lineman and bit the dust trying to fix an electric line when we were about 5 yrs old.  His stepdad after that was a pretty ok guy, but his first dad…. Let’s just say they didn’t shut down traffic for the funeral.  Should have.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man you are a whiny bitch. 

Ironic coming from the guy that loses his shit anytime someone dares challenge him on any damn thing going on several years now.

I’m not even upset, but would be more than happy to throw some cash at anyone that can get the power back on. I know they’re doing what they can, but consider it a bonus incentive.

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Fence on the left side of my backyard is down. Otherwise - we are fine. You?

Not a scratch.  Pool full of live oak but very lucky here.   My neighbors kids got hammered bad in PG and other in great wood. One lost a roof and other had tree come thru kitchen.  Saw everything near Frost got smoked bad; all the big pecans.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The guys that go out and try to fix shit in these conditions are heroes in my book, all I was saying.

Same here but don’t dare jokingly offer to grease their palms else Sydney will get uppity with you. 

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ironic coming from the guy that loses his shit anytime someone dares challenge him on any damn thing going on several years now.

I’m not even upset, but would be more than happy to throw some cash at anyone that can get the power back on. I know they’re doing what they can, but consider it a bonus incentive.

Challenge me on what shit? Recruiting? Sure don’t challenge me on that shit. 

But for a guy who claims to be egalitarian I find it hilarious you’re running out with a wad of bills begging for help.