2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

12 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m a little bit biased though, my best friends dad was a lineman and bit the dust trying to fix an electric line when we were about 5 yrs old.  His stepdad after that was a pretty ok guy, but his first dad…. Let’s just say they didn’t shut down traffic for the funeral.  Should have.

People bitch about being inconvenienced after a disaster then scoff at the help. They are heroes for sure. The people bitching can EABOD.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

“They should stop whining.” -Sydney, probably. 

8 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Same here but don’t dare jokingly offer to grease their palms else Sydney will get uppity with you. 

lol. It’s hilarious how pathetically thin skinned you are…I call you a bitch and you strive to somehow transpose that suddenly I shit on first responders or folks doing hard as fuck work…meanwhile the irony is completely lost on you that you’re begging to be able to grease palms to get your power back because waaaaaaaaaah your life is hard. 

I trip and thank and offer line workers water and soda because they’re hit and working hard. You only think about yourself. 

5 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

People bitch about being inconvenienced after a disaster then scoff at the help. They are heroes for sure. The people bitching can EABOD.

Fudge thinks if you offer them a greasy wad of bills they should prioritize his shit. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I call you a bitch and you strive to somehow transpose that suddenly I shit on first responders or folks doing hard as fuck work

Maybe learn to read, dumbass

you’re begging to be able to grease palms to get your power back because waaaaaaaaaah your life is hard. 

I’m not begging for shit. It was a fucking joke, but being Mr Literal, you think it was serious?  Get over yourself. 

I trip and thank and offer line workers water and soda because they’re hit and working hard. You only think about yourself. 

Yeah, ok.  Tell you what,  scroll past my posts or put me on ignore. I don’t give a shit either way but I’m done with you.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I’m a little bit biased though, my best friends dad was a lineman and bit the dust trying to fix an electric line when we were about 5 yrs old.  His stepdad after that was a pretty ok guy, but his first dad…. Let’s just say they didn’t shut down traffic for the funeral.  Should have.

I assume it snowed….and the stretch down south couldn’t stand the strain

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Fudge thinks if you offer them a greasy wad of bills they should prioritize his shit. 

Call it free market capitalism if you will. Don’t like it, make a higher offer. 

that was a joke. Not literal just for clarification. Although you’re the only one that seems to think it was serious. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I assume it snowed….and the stretch down south couldn’t stand the strain

lol no.  He climbed a rotten pole to fix something during a storm, ended up on the ground dead.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Call it free market capitalism if you will. Don’t like it, make a higher offer. 

that was a joke. Not literal just for clarification. Although you’re the only one that seems to think it was serious. 

To paraphrase Se7en, what does it feel like to be SpyStud17, ShadowOperative2…do you know that you’re crazy?

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Just got word that the standby generator at where I’m staying crapped out with an error message. Fuck this shit.

Not kidding, check that there's oil and fuel in the generator. When Snowvid hit in 2021 a coworker just moved into his house with a generac equipped that never turned on, but for a few quarts of oil

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We’re going to love tomorrow when it gets back in the 90’s and all this moisture starts baking off. Can’t wait. 

Season 4 April GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Hook 'Em 1

We’re going to love tomorrow when it gets back in the 90’s and all this moisture starts baking off. Can’t wait. 

It’s already getting testy by a few in this thread. Can’t imagine what it will be like in another day or two with no power. Good luck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Wait til those tree trimmers start getting book deals and are too busy to cut down your trees.  You'll acknowledge them as first responder you plebes

I've noticed that nobody in Texas is calling for tree trimmers to be back to their home countries in the wake of this storm.  We're pulling some guys from our Mueller area project and taking them to Houston later this month to do what can be done over a weekend to help clear limbs.  Plus some trucks with some supplies from Aldi.  Not a game-changer, but thousands of folks doing stuff like this is what turns the tide.  Not government.  Meanwhile, look after your neighbor, help is on the way even if the helper looks different (or is fucking insane like me).  

• Hook 'Em 4

Just think before any power line company puts any pole in the ground, they have to do a "one call" to 811.  If there is pipeline within certain distance the pipeline owner's rep must be present before work can start.  We can't have power companies making holes in P/Ls carrying hydrocarbons now, can we?

9 minutes ago, Updawg said:

It’s already getting testy by a few in this thread. Can’t imagine what it will be like in another day or two with no power. Good luck

I will murder someone. I’m hot and I’m bored 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gallery Furniture shelter is open. Hot meals for all that want to stop by ….

28 minutes ago, Updawg said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Getting a bit tense in here.

It's understandable. Tensions are running high. If anyone needs some time out of the heat tomorrow or to recharge a phone, bathe in a pool, feel free to DM me. I also have a lot of imitation crab meat in my freezer that I need to get rid of. Rice U area. 

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Gallery Furniture shelter is open. Hot meals for all that want to stop by ….

That's really awesome of him.  Even if he does take a tax deduction on donating furniture to Joel Osteen's locked church.  

Nice to see a 73-year old merchant of Ottomans and Mattresses stepping up when I haven't heard a fucking peep from any statewide officials.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I've noticed that nobody in Texas is calling for tree trimmers to be back to their home countries in the wake of this storm.

My tree trimmer is a Cherokee. I dare you to say that to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Rain was pretty constant here for 12 hours or so. I took a little walk when it let up. Saw this on my walk. Here's some of the run-off. I assume this channel leads straight to Houston. If anyone in Central Texas wants to come figure out a way to divert it, have at it.

On a serious note, I hope all of you get the power back on soon. Despite how tame it was here, ours decided to go down for several hours for no apparent reason. As an example of how light the winds were, we had a water bottle sitting on a patio table in the backyard that must be related to the blue shed. That sucker hasn't moved an inch.

Edited by dcbc

Fuck me, 48 hours from now we have a 50/50 chance?

Serious question, can portable generators run indefinitely? I’ve got a Tri-fuel Firman plugged into my breaker box powering my fridge and fans. Never tried to run it anywhere near 3 days straight. I change the oil and shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Serious question, can portable generators run indefinitely? I’ve got a Tri-fuel Firman plugged into my breaker box powering my fridge and fans. Never tried to run it anywhere near 3 days straight. I change the oil and shit. 

I ran mine for all 8 days of the derecho.

Running my whole house on a 30A.

Just change the oil when the power comes back on. 

It's not a race engine.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I ran mine for 3 days or so straight after delta and the freeze with no problem. I changed it after each time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I've noticed that nobody in Texas is calling for tree trimmers to be back to their home countries in the wake of this storm.  We're pulling some guys from our Mueller area project and taking them to Houston later this month to do what can be done over a weekend to help clear limbs.  Plus some trucks with some supplies from Aldi.  Not a game-changer, but thousands of folks doing stuff like this is what turns the tide.  Not government.  Meanwhile, look after your neighbor, help is on the way even if the helper looks different (or is fucking insane like me).  

Let me know if you need any more help. I can hablar espanol and know how to use a chain saw.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes, but what if the chainsaw directions aren't written in Espanol?  

Also, I'm sure some counties have a plan in place for this---but we're trying to locate and haul massive amounts of tarps.  Not just for roofs, but to cover up downed limbs to dry up in the humidity so they can be easier to cut up and shredded.  I think we looked into this with some trucks after Harvey.  But they're harder to come by than you'd think given that nearly 2/3rds of tarps around the country aren't being used at any given time.  But it's hard to aggregate them and haul them to one spot.  We could do a few 53' loads of 'em but consolidating them and the fuel is the tricky part.  I mean FEMA is there for roofs, but you can't truly start clearing limbs and brush if the shit is gonna stay wet for a month.  Can't chip it or burn it.  Well, looks like I'll be up for another couple of hours looking down logistics rabbit holes.