2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

I think it’s time for me to pack up and move elsewhere. The energy capital… sheeeit.

Also, driving around here with lights being out is an adventure. Fucking morons just blasting through the intersection with not a fucking care in the world. They threw up some temporary stop signs at this intersection after someone didnt know how to handle a signal being out. 

IMG_4149.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Evacuated to Wimberly with the kiddos and camper. Been a great couple of days, hoping the power stays out in Galveston a few more days I can make a week out here. 

Saw this fine architectural masterpiece in Luling yesterday

IMG_2461.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Fuck me, 48 hours from now we have a 50/50 chance?

Serious question, can portable generators run indefinitely? I’ve got a Tri-fuel Firman plugged into my breaker box powering my fridge and fans. Never tried to run it anywhere near 3 days straight. I change the oil and shit. 

Firman is nice it should be able to constantly run as long as you have fuel. Keep it in the shade it will have less chance to overheat. You should get a 12000btu portable AC you can set in your house in a room to sleep in AC in the future as well. 

If it does overheat it will probably just shut off and you have will have to wait a little. 

I like running off propane in mine keeps the carburetor clean for when I ever do need to actually run it off gas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

“G-1”  - Generac needs more money
Anyone else I'd offer to send a tech over; but my guys in Houston are busy dealing with other issues for non psychos; all the generators I've installed are all working great or not needed- roughly 5 of 12 installations are still on generator and maybe 8 of 12 used the generator for at least 2 hrs. Goof, heights; Pearland, West end Galvatraz, Rice Military, memorial. All Generac. All good so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not kidding, check that there's oil and fuel in the generator. When Snowvid hit in 2021 a coworker just moved into his house with a generac equipped that never turned on, but for a few quarts of oil
Get annual service, they have a great app that tracks maintenence, any code errors that may develop- it will test run the unit montly and send you a report, if you bother to commission the unit and keep it linked to your phone. All my clients so far have been happy. I've had excellent experiences with Generac, my only bias is my electrician is a certified dealer, but it's not really even a side gig for me; although we do install plenty of them both through him and other dealers.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Zeus said:

Firman is nice it should be able to constantly run as long as you have fuel. Keep it in the shade it will have less chance to overheat. You should get a 12000btu portable AC you can set in your house in a room to sleep in AC in the future as well. 

If it does overheat it will probably just shut off and you have will have to wait a little. 

I like running off propane in mine keeps the carburetor clean for when I ever do need to actually run it off gas. 

plug a box fan into it and let the air blow on the cylinder head.

• Hook 'Em 3

Made it through the night without power. It’s going to get hot today. My mom came back with me on Sunday from Tyler as she was supposed to have doctor appointments at MD Anderson yesterday. She didn’t figure they’d cancel. They cancelled.

Our power flickered and went out the final time around 8 am yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

My Westinghouse 12500 just crapped out…. Genny still running but not generating power…. Probably a $2.99 capacitor I can get on Amazon - next week.

• Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, Grimas said:

My Westinghouse 12500 just crapped out…. Genny still running but not generating power…. Probably a $2.99 capacitor I can get on Amazon - next week.

Damn that stinks, at least you know how to work on engines and fix them. 

I also have two generators, a loud cheap construction one that usually gets borrowed in loss of power situations is my backup to the firman. 

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Damn that stinks, at least you know how to work on engines and fix them. 

I also have two generators, a loud cheap construction one that usually gets borrowed in loss of power situations is my backup to the firman. 

YouTube videos… and I do have a 3000 watt inverter that I just had to dust off and just ran extension cables to the wifi and fridges no issue until it gets to 90 today and the wife starts really bitching…

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Grimas said:

YouTube videos… and I do have a 3000 watt inverter that I just had to dust off and just ran extension cables to the wifi and fridges no issue until it gets to 90 today and the wife starts really bitching…

That’s my current setup. Two fridges, a deep freezer, a little fan, and my internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What a relief that centerpoint didn’t have any visiting crews staged and ready. So they aren’t starting work until today. 

i saw faster response from out of town units after the derecho and that had zero warning. 

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What a relief that centerpoint didn’t have any visiting crews staged and ready. So they aren’t starting work until today. 

Why on earth would they spend all that money to stage crews that their shareholders should be getting instead?? It's not like center point is gonna lose any customers over poor service, so they have zero incentive to do anything more than the barest of minimums

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Why on earth would they spend all that money to stage crews that their shareholders should be getting instead?? It's not like center point is gonna lose any customers over poor service, so they have zero incentive to do anything more than the barest of minimums

Meanwhile heat index will be 105 today, 2 million don’t have power, “hopefully” half that will be back on by tomorrow end of day. Haven’t seen anything about cooling centers open yet from the city 

• Hook 'Em 1

PSA: Be cautious of bogus parts on Amazon. I've been burned twice by shit parts.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

Common clay driving a jacked up F350 almost killed someone in an Elantra because he had not a single bit of curiosity as to why people were stopped in the left 3 lanes of a 4 lane street.

Assume anyone driving a truck like that is a moron or a chicken shit afraid of driving.   

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Meanwhile heat index will be 105 today, 2 million don’t have power, “hopefully” half that will be back on by tomorrow end of day. Haven’t seen anything about cooling centers open yet from the city 

That email just went out fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Citizens are powerless, but big corporations may collectively sue them if they can prove their incompetence led to lost productivity. Our office and warehouse doesn’t have power for the second day and that’s a lot of lost productivity. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There’s a shitton more than 2 million people without power. My mom and I are driving to NE Texas on 59, took beltway all around Houston from south Houston. We are up in Corrigan now and there’s no power up here, 2 hours north of Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Citizens are powerless, but big corporations may collectively sue them if they can prove their incompetence led to lost productivity. Our office and warehouse doesn’t have power for the second day and that’s a lot of lost productivity. 

can they even be sued? I thought during the great ice storm they claimed sovereign immunity due to their public / private designation.

basically they somehow seemed to have 100% socialized the risks and 100% privatized the rewards.

Good gig if you can get it!  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

There’s a shitton more than 2 million people without power. My mom and I are driving to NE Texas on 59, took beltway all around Houston from south Houston. We are up in Corrigan now and there’s no power up here, 2 hours north of Houston.

Yeah, that’s 2 million is Centerpoint. They’re also a bubble if TNMP near clear lake, as well as all of Entergy that covers the woodlands and Montgomery county. 

Saw this on fb so take with a maaaassive grain of salt:

A spokeswoman for Centerpoint admitted yesterday that it did not preposition assets prior to Beryl as it had for other hurricanes.  The old adage “hope for the best prepare for the worst” comes to mind.  This is one of the myriad of reasons that Houstonians are angry and disgusted with CP.