2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Saw this on fb so take with a maaaassive grain of salt:

A spokeswoman for Centerpoint admitted yesterday that it did not preposition assets prior to Beryl as it had for other hurricanes.  The old adage “hope for the best prepare for the worst” comes to mind.  This is one of the myriad of reasons that Houstonians are angry and disgusted with CP.

angry pitchfork GIF by South Park

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Sydney’s post is bullshit 

Is it? 

Anecdotal but no one seems to be seeing trucks out and about like they did after the Derecho.  I went from Shady Aces to Downtown and didn't see a single truck. 

9 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Sydney’s post is bullshit 

HOUSTON — If you’ve been looking for a fleet of power repair trucks and haven’t been able to find them in Houston, there’s a reason. Most out-of-town crews are not yet in Houston to begin repairing the extensive damage caused by Hurricane Beryl.

A CenterPoint spokesperson confirmed to KHOU 11 Investigates that unlike in past hurricanes, outside help was not staged locally before Beryl came rolling through.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Saw this on fb so take with a maaaassive grain of salt:

A spokeswoman for Centerpoint admitted yesterday that it did not preposition assets prior to Beryl as it had for other hurricanes.  The old adage “hope for the best prepare for the worst” comes to mind.  This is one of the myriad of reasons that Houstonians are angry and disgusted with CP.

Why should they?  Our federal government has deemed it a luxury (despite deaths) in the past, our leadership left the country/state because they give no fucks, and they have actively worked to provide cover for shitty management/infrastructure because it allows them to fleece the citizens who still vote for those morons?   Why should they change?

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

What incentive, if any, does Centerpoint have to quickly service lines? I'm actually not trying to make a dig here. I'm curious how the business is structured. Does it get paid by the county or the city to get repairs done? 

16 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Sorry, reading comprehension fail between staged and contacted/available/etc. running on not much sleep. I am maybe a little too close to the situation to be impartial. 

CEO of Centerpoint?

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What incentive, if any, does Centerpoint have to quickly service lines? I'm actually not trying to make a dig here. I'm curious how the business is structured. Does it get paid by the county or the city to get repairs done? 

Based on past events around the state, I'm assuming very little incentive. Sure, they'll have to eventually get everything up and running again so they can start charging for power use, but they'll just increase the rates to make up for the repairs and all lost profits for when nobody was using electricity. And that's assuming they don't also have the ability to get repaid directly from the city for those repairs (which is still coming from tax payers)...so, lose-lose for the people. Win-win for the corporation. Hooray!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Day 2 begins.  It was 4 days in May. Let's see how we do this time. 

Screenshot_20240709-074426.thumb.png.b406f075fc817f793c5d254d75bf867b.png

How quickly do those panels recharge? Can you maintain power indefinitely (assuming it stays sunny and you limit your use to the essentials)? I'm assuming that's what the impact/self-powered stat is in reference to, but I figured you'd have a higher charge by now, although I guess I don't know how much sun you had after the storm passed yesterday.

13 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

damn, now I gotta make a trip to Houston. Birraporetti's Dallas was my first job waiting tables. They shut down 20+ years ago.

I didn't know it was a chain. I knew one of the kids of the owner.

1 minute ago, Grimas said:

Entergy just said they hope to get 50% of their customers online by end of day tomorrow…

here’s a failure. Entergy has like 250k people, and a crew of 1300. Centerpoint has like 2.5 million and 2500 people working. And they’ll have the same results in the same period of time? Yikes. 

Welp, finally made it up to my office and have an internet connection for first time in 30 hours or so. Fortunately this building never seems to lose power.

Briefly thought I was one of the lucky ones when I woke up yesterday morning and still had power and wifi working. That lasted about 20 minutes. Not a flicker since. Have literally no clue as to when we might get power restored. We were out for 6 days following the derecho. Immediately got the ball rolling on getting a generac installed, and were praying we'd get it in before another storm. No such luck. Really enjoyed getting to do yet another full refrigerator purge less than 60 days after the last one. 

Wife is driving over to meet my parents halfway and hand off our dogs for the next few days. We realized during the last outage how much harder it makes it to find a place to stay if you're lugging around 2 dogs with you.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

here’s a failure. Entergy has like 250k people, and a crew of 1300. Centerpoint has like 2.5 million and 2500 people working. And they’ll have the same results in the same period of time? Yikes. 

I saw somewhere that they lost something like 11 main transmission lines. Trim the damn trees…

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Grimas said:

I saw somewhere that they lost something like 11 main transmission lines. Trim the damn trees…

HL&P used to trim trees like crazy.  Who would have thought anyone would miss them?  It's a big old goofy world.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:51 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Power stayed out at 3 and then att cell service went to shit. The tree that was on my roof came off. Brazoria is a bit torn up. A few trees on houses and trailers. Quite a few small roads blocked. My tree feel on my fence, my neighbor lost her green house and I think her solar panels got a tree on them. The baseball field fence and some of the concessions look like they got trees on them too

We got 10” of rain from 8p to about 8a. I didn’t empty my gauge until then, but we definitely got a decent amount during the day before that. 

660AC82B-DB19-4286-B401-E51970D355C1.jpeg

85DADA5A-60AF-4593-8898-0E5921BBED28.jpeg

1855FD2F-9949-4754-90C3-C15BCEB09FE1.jpeg

What’s the word on Angleton?  Supposed to head down there to the courthouse for work one day this week. 

6 minutes ago, faps said:

On a positive note, the storm cooled my pool off. It was getting to bath water levels. Gonna be hanging out in the pool under my redneck tent. 

IMG_4158.jpeg

Redneck Pool Tent...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Holy Shit BirraPoretti's is still open?
birraporretties.png.d6fc587c2aae2b3acc52177b7622c7be.png

Waited tables at the River Oaks Birras one summer. Was one of 3 straight dudes on the entire staff. All the gay dudes were a blast to hang out and drink with. And…no competition for hooking up with the female staff. There was a redhead cashier who…taught me some things. She was great.
Marfrelles across the street, could drink till 4:00.
That was a good summer.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Finally back online. The eye of the storm went right over our place here in Richmond. There were some wicked winds right before it passed over. Lost power about 6:00 AM and it's still out. 

We moved into our new house back in May without the generator installed, then the derecho happened and we didn't even bother getting on any waiting lists for a generator and figured we could wait a while. Oops. Irony. 

Regardless, the barndominium on our property does have a generator and it's running now and we have AC there, so that's where we moved last night. 

I had an old portable generator that we got running as well and plugged the starlink into that and now we have wifi and the house and barn. Could be worse. 

There is a lot of whining on the Ring app and on Nextdoor about people not having power, like they've never been through a hurricane before. It's probably unrealistic to expect to get it back immediately, but it also sounds like Centerpoint screwed the pooch royally. If power is still out a few days from now for most people, then the whining is going to be deserved. 

I will post some pictures later today of the effects here at our place yesterday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TOR said:

Holy Shit BirraPoretti's is still open?

birraporretties.png

It’s been a few decades, but I used to go to the River Oaks one with friends, because they had this red headed cashier who would bang anything on two legs (and supposedly more than a few guys with only one leg). Half my friends hooked up with her, and she gave several of them STDs, and it wasn’t just one STD - a couple of different ones if I recall right.

• Haha 5

I think right now a lot of the frustration with CP is their almost complete lack of communication. They post a message once every 4 hours or so and it's mainly just generic bullshit like "Houston was hit hard by Hurricane Beryl. We are assessing damage and dispatching crews to begin restoration. Please check on your neighbors and don't use generators inside".  They no longer provide any kind of outage map and are not really providing anyone with timeframes. People literally have no idea if they'll get power back later today or 2 weeks from now. 

Add on that a lot of us just went through this exact shit less than 2 months ago. Shit, we even lost power for half a day a week or so after the derecho, just due to a regular old summer thunderstorm. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Basil said:

My power is back on after 9 hours. The folks across the street, not so lucky.

Mom?

4 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

PSA: Be cautious of bogus parts on Amazon. I've been burned twice by shit parts.

User name and avatar check out 100%.

One surprise yesterday is that my wife's greenhouse didn't get blown to bits. Some of the roof panels came loose and the center support fell over and made the roof sag but that was easy to fix. I would have expected it to be a pile of glass and aluminum after the storm and it wasn't. 

image.jpeg.b25b7e303b732fc30a33ea3b8d691ad2.jpeg

image.jpeg.9b45ad92d5a687ffd68d56b77e44715c.jpeg

image.jpeg.6ff746e07064f2074ae373feafa3448d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I think right now a lot of the frustration with CP is their almost complete lack of communication. They post a message once every 4 hours or so and it's mainly just generic bullshit like "Houston was hit hard by Hurricane Beryl. We are assessing damage and dispatching crews to begin restoration. Please check on your neighbors and don't use generators inside".  They no longer provide any kind of outage map and are not really providing anyone with timeframes. People literally have no idea if they'll get power back later today or 2 weeks from now. 

Add on that a lot of us just went through this exact shit less than 2 months ago. Shit, we even lost power for half a day a week or so after the derecho, just due to a regular old summer thunderstorm. 

Also, after the last several years, there's this growing feeling of dread that this is just how life in Houston works now. At least once or twice a year there will be a hurricane, freak storm, or bitter cold that will fuck everyone's life up for a solid week.

18 hours ago, Grimas said:

Not a single house restored yet in the Woodlands… and this is where all the power lines are underground…

IMG_3388.png

I don’t think this has changed since you posted it ~24 hours ago. 

For certain poster, not whining just making an observation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I have been told my power is back in Shady Acres 77008.  Cameras and Nests confirm.

Woof, 84 upstairs.

I'm shocked it's only 84 upstairs. I assume mine is in the 90's. I'm still not there thankfully.

5 hours ago, faps said:

On a positive note, the storm cooled my pool off. It was getting to bath water levels. Gonna be hanging out in the pool under my redneck tent. 

IMG_4158.jpeg

you are gonna have to push that generator closer to the pool if you wanna make the evening news.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5