2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Posted (edited)

Went to work in Pasadena this morning coming from Brazoria. At least 2/3 of the lights were out, but by God the toll booths had power. 

TNMP said on the phone they expect to have everyone powered up by tomorrow afternoon. Their website said Thursday. When I left, there were 2 large trees laid across lines, lines in the road, and some other less signings problems. Had to take alternate routes to get out of “subdivision.”  When I returned today, fuck all had been done. About to go get gas for my generator and I’ll see if the other half of Brazoria looks better, but I don’t see anyway we have power by Thursday with the amount of damage in the area a literally zero work done. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I don’t think this has changed since you posted it ~24 hours ago. 

For certain poster, not whining just making an observation. 

Finally some progress - green in Oak Ridge and the most southern art of the Woodlands…

IMG_3399.png

Houston power seems like a shit show.  I'm never one to give Oncor much credit but when damn near all of the metroplex had power go out after Memorial Day (on a storm that wasn't really forecasted) they got crews in from out of town pretty damn fast and seemed pretty competent solving the problem.  My power was only out about 18 hours.  All of our neighborhood (and all but a handful of people I know throughout) restored within 48 hours and pretty much any stragglers in the metroplex within 72/84.  From what it looks like Houston was completely flat footed which isn't really acceptable given everyone knew a damn storm was hitting "somewhere" along the coast.  What a mess.  Sorry guys.  

I learned about these guys this week on the Volts pod.

They're an Austin Company started by one of the Dell kids.  You get a 20kw back battery for your house for only 3k. The catch is that the company gets to use the battery to feed the grid when the grid needs it that's how they make money.  You get to use it when the power is out.

It's a solution. Not a perfect one but something.

https://www.basepowercompany.com/

It is absolutely astounding what the leadership and utility sector of this state can't fuck up.  

I spent 4 hours today, and I've got their staff's persona lines, trying to figure out how we can use our trucks to help statewide agencies get Aldi food/water/ice to affected areas.  And most of them were unavailable/out of the office.  And spoiler alert, not because they were busy laying down sandbags and handing out bowls of soup.  The point guard guy I know at HEB says even their usual playbook isn't working because they can't even be sure the trucks can get back to make another run since the state doesn't know what fucking fleet fuel stations are working.  I guess we didn't know about this storm for two weeks.  god forbid, we should let people who know the fuck they're actually doing actually help people in actual need.  I know where Texas gets this ego while constantly displaying such ineptitude.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Was able to fill up the can for the generator.  Good thing since I didn’t see any progress on that side of town and i can’t believe we’ll have power by the EF of the weekend

Edited by UT_OB1

Just now, YGIFS said:

It is absolutely astounding what the leadership and utility sector of this state can't fuck up.  

I spent 4 hours today, and I've got their staff's persona lines, trying to figure out how we can use our trucks to help statewide agencies get Aldi food/water/ice to affected areas.  And most of them were unavailable/out of the office.  And spoiler alert, not because they were busy laying down sandbags and handing out bowls of soup.  The point guard guy I know at HEB says even their usual playbook isn't working because they can't even be sure the trucks can get back to make another run since the state doesn't know what fucking fleet fuel stations are working.  I guess we didn't know about this storm for two weeks.  god forbid, we should let people who know the fuck they're actually doing actually help people in actual need.  I know where Texas gets this ego while constantly displaying such ineptitude.  

Ladies and gentleman, the state of Texas!

Booing Bernie Sanders GIF by Election 2016

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Houston power seems like a shit show.  I'm never one to give Oncor much credit but when damn near all of the metroplex had power go out after Memorial Day (on a storm that wasn't really forecasted) they got crews in from out of town pretty damn fast and seemed pretty competent solving the problem.  My power was only out about 18 hours.  All of our neighborhood (and all but a handful of people I know throughout) restored within 48 hours and pretty much any stragglers in the metroplex within 72/84.  From what it looks like Houston was completely flat footed which isn't really acceptable given everyone knew a damn storm was hitting "somewhere" along the coast.  What a mess.  Sorry guys.  

Something I saw on space city weather - there was a 100k less power outages during Ike even though Ike was more powerful and hit houston more directly. To me that says CP isn’t doing their job keeping up infrastructure 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Something I saw on space city weather - there was a 100k less power outages during Ike even though Ike was more powerful and hit houston more directly. To me that says CP isn’t doing their job keeping up infrastructure 

[Laughs in ERCOT/PUC rules]

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't know what this means given that it's taking place in Philly.  But I was speaking with Inka IRL about this.  This one is extra weird.  We helped out a tiny bit during Harvey.  And I got to know some of the preparedness people and our fleet has slightly grown its footprint in Texas.  And I know some senior staffers and HEB logistics folks who can speed things up.  But all of us on the transportation side are just scratching our heads.  For such a far-out forecast, there's barely anybody available to speak with at several levels.  And it's not because they're in a triage tent with flood victims. 

Y'all on the Gulf Coast have more experience with these events than I ever will.  But when I offer to connect my team with your disaster relief team to deliver multiple 53' kingpins full of supplies and food on the sole condition we'll eat the fuel costs but you have to grant us access to a state fleet/national guard fuel site (which we'll pay FMV for) so we don't randsack gas stations the locals are using so the trucks can deadhead back and bring more shit...and your answer is "Well, those decision makers are out of the state right now."...........................that's pretty fucking weird.  They offered to connect me with some county officials in East Texas/Houston area, but those folks can't let us onto state-run fuel pads.  We cant take what little diesel is available in the area away from other service trucks, generators, etc.  We need quiet access to fuel to deadhead back and come back with more stuff, and we'll pay.  Not that difficult.  There's nobody helming this thing.  Never mind the fuck ups left and right by our energy/utility providers.  Picked a great week to show off how fucking stupid we are Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don't know what this means given that it's taking place in Philly.  But I was speaking with Inka IRL about this.  This one is extra weird.  We helped out a tiny bit during Harvey.  And I got to know some of the preparedness people and our fleet has slightly grown its footprint in Texas.  And I know some senior staffers and HEB logistics folks who can speed things up.  But all of us on the transportation side are just scratching our heads.  For such a far-out forecast, there's barely anybody available to speak with at several levels.  And it's not because they're in a triage tent with flood victims. 

Y'all on the Gulf Coast have more experience with these events than I ever will.  But when I offer to connect my team with your disaster relief team to deliver multiple 53' kingpins full of supplies and food on the sole condition we'll eat the fuel costs but you have to grant us access to a state fleet/national guard fuel site (which we'll pay FMV for) so we don't randsack gas stations the locals are using so the trucks can deadhead back and bring more shit...and your answer is "Well, those decision makers are out of the state right now."...........................that's pretty fucking weird.  They offered to connect me with some county officials in East Texas/Houston area, but those folks can't let us onto state-run fuel pads.  We cant take what little diesel is available in the area away from other service trucks, generators, etc.  We need quiet access to fuel to deadhead back and come back with more stuff, and we'll pay.  Not that difficult.  There's nobody helming this thing.  Never mind the fuck ups left and right by our energy/utility providers.  Picked a great week to show off how fucking stupid we are Texas.  

Trucks are moving. The fuel issue is not supply its power at the pumps. You’re not taking from the vast majority in the area with diesel verses unleaded. Your rates were too high or they didn’t need your supplies. H‑E‑B is also usual slow to react based on how their inventory is managed (slow as in asking at 4pm instead of 8am). Also they’re  busy with their suppliers and not looking to grow a trucking company.  Asking for special favors to DH back is how you get a no and a non response as well.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seems relevant

Well as much of a blowhard asshole as I am, this is both comforting and disconcerting.  If Biden can't reach them, who the fuck am I?  On the other hand, there seems to be what is becoming an almost joint effort to actually fuck this up.  Even the HEB folks are having a hard time navigating this and this is their fucking jam.  Our dedicated fleet replacement logistics trucking platform does all the exclusive hauling for ALDI foods, the largest groery store chain on Planet Earth.  Not a huge footprint in Texas, but if I offer your state relief team a dozen trucks filled the brim with supplies, you get a decision maker on the team.  You don't tell me they are unavailable right now with party business.  Shit, if we needed to, we could have 100 kingpins down here by end of week from points east and north so long as the driver's get OT, some tex-mex, and a Matagorda blowjob.  But I'm getting text after text assuring me that the situation is well in hand while we're at 2mm with no power and people running out edible food and potable water every hour we step on our dicks.  I can't imagine how frustrated HEB's team is right now.  All we need is right of passage so as not to interfere with rescue efforts, and access to non-retail fuel sites so as not to disrupt the needs of citizens and local businesses.  And their answers continue to be some version of, "Well, we'll look into it.  The team should be back into the office here in Austin by end of week."  Meanwhile, food is rotting.  But this is the path we've chosen.  

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Seems like everyone woke up this morning and did an "OH SHIT" and started from square one. 

Fuckin one star state. 

Spongebob Texas GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Covri said:

Trucks are moving. The fuel issue is not supply its power at the pumps. You’re not taking from the vast majority in the area with diesel verses unleaded. Your rates were too high or they didn’t need your supplies. H‑E‑B is also usual slow to react based on how their inventory is managed (slow as in asking at 4pm instead of 8am). Also they’re  busy with their suppliers and not looking to grow a trucking company.  Asking for special favors to DH back is how you get a no and a non response as well.

Power at the pumps is certainly an issue, which is why we specifically requested access to state gov/NG fuel pads.  We offered to pay FMV for the diesel either way, even if it just helps a handful of generators or delivery trucks or EMT/Fire vehicles.  We're not looking to grow.  The entire package was offered for free, absolutely zero charge.  Not a dime other than bonded coverage in case the truck accidentally runs off into a swollen bayou or something, but the state can certainly cover that under its current liability.  When Penske and ALDI offer to bring a community nearly a million pounds of supplies for no charge and just asks for a chance to buy diesel from a functioning station so they don't wait in line and overrun their time limit on hours behind the wheel and we got get into a whole thing with the drivers on employee protection.  The answer is "Yes."  ALDI foods, expanded by Black Horse Carriers before they were bought out by Penske.  Been delivering relief supplies since WWII for nothing, not a cent.  They've trucked in nearly 15mm euros of food and supplies into Ukraine over the last two years.  And there's not a PSA to exploit it.  And if you get ALDI, you get the multiple stores in Houston for Trader Joe's to jump in and help as well.  They've been doing this since before you and I were born.  It's not a special favor, it's a lack of leadership.  When the largest grocer and largest trucking company in the world offer you their services for zero fucking dollars, you take it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Power at the pumps is certainly an issue, which is why we specifically requested access to state gov/NG fuel pads.  We offered to pay FMV for the diesel either way, even if it just helps a handful of generators or delivery trucks or EMT/Fire vehicles.  We're not looking to grow.  The entire package was offered for free, absolutely zero charge.  Not a dime other than bonded coverage in case the truck accidentally runs off into a swollen bayou or something, but the state can certainly cover that under its current liability.  When Penske and ALDI offer to bring a community nearly a million pounds of supplies for no charge and just asks for a chance to buy diesel from a functioning station so they don't wait in line and overrun their time limit on hours behind the wheel and we got get into a whole thing with the drivers on employee protection.  The answer is "Yes."  ALDI foods, expanded by Black Horse Carriers before they were bought out by Penske.  Been delivering relief supplies since WWII for nothing, not a cent.  They've trucked in nearly 15mm euros of food and supplies into Ukraine over the last two years.  And there's not a PSA to exploit it.  And if you get ALDI, you get the multiple stores in Houston for Trader Joe's to jump in and help as well.  They've been doing this since before you and I were born.  It's not a special favor, it's a lack of leadership.  When the largest grocer and largest trucking company in the world offer you their services for zero fucking dollars, you take it.  

Black horse is not that carrier in Texas, Aldi is not the player in Texas.  I’ll leave it at that. 

Edited by Covri
Wait did you ask for insurance required waivers? 😂😂😂

48 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I learned about these guys this week on the Volts pod.

They're an Austin Company started by one of the Dell kids.  You get a 20kw back battery for your house for only 3k. The catch is that the company gets to use the battery to feed the grid when the grid needs it that's how they make money.  You get to use it when the power is out.

It's a solution. Not a perfect one but something.

https://www.basepowercompany.com/

So if we used them, would we be based?

8 minutes ago, Covri said:

Black horse is not that carrier in Texas, Aldi is not the player in Texas.  I’ll leave it at that. 

Black Horse Carriers, now under Penske Logistics, has a handful of terminals, and several dozen domiciles in the State of Texas.  There are nearly 100 trailers and almost as many operators.  A handful of ALDI distribution centers in our borders, and 30+ ALDI stores, plus the Trader Joe's connection from Dallas to Houston.  It's not HEB, but when the food in the refrigerator spoils in the heat and you run out of water, you think people in distress are going to get brand loyal all of the sudden?  HEB and Wal-Mart will do most of the heavy lifting.  But albeit on of their smaller markets for now, when the world's largest grocery store chain and the world's largest logistics fleet offer your state help for free, you don't worry about whether or not they carry "Hill Country Fare" brands at a discount.  Google the ALDI footprint and Penske domicile takeover of BHC.  A million pounds of supplies in 72 hours.  Nothing compared to HEB, but you have some dipshit at the Capitol track down somebody on Abbott's staff.  Just look at the fucking map, man---your annoyances with me aside. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

bring back HLP !!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Finally in some state of normalcy now. Without power since 7 AM yesterday. The eye wall went pretty much right over my house. That was some crazy wind! I’ve got my generator powering my 2 refrigerators, portable AC, router, and 2 fans. I’ve already overcome a series of calamities. Fuel is going to be an issue if they don’t get power to some convenience stores soon. I saw some 1970’s gas crisis level lines today.  I have about 15 gallons right now. I’m not sure how long that will last with the AC on the generator now. I guess we’ll find out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well, if you'd quit wasting half your generator power on your hipster-carved bourbon ice maker and Grateful Dead Wall of Sound, you'd make it longer.  

Levity aside, hope W&W are doing well during all this.  If I can help in some small way, please reach out.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Tonight is the first night I’ve really been able to relax a little. I’m working from home until my power comes back on, so I can get a little drunk to help me sleep. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is a Generac worth 5 figures if we can run to a hotel with prior notice? 

I could see it of you had a deep freezer with a couple thousand dollars worth of meat in it. Otherwise, I can’t make the math work. 

Not strictly “worth it”, IMO. It’s a luxury item. 98% of the time it’s sitting there doing nothing. Get a portable unit that can run your fridge and fans for one tenth of the price. 

Centerpoint has  robocalled us twice in the past 12 hours to falsely tell us power has been restored. When we call back to to disagree we either get a message that the outage reporting system is down or we get a message to call back during normal business hours. 

I’m usually one to be patient and cut them some slack over a damn hurricane, but this shitshow is getting shittier by the minute. We’re going to run out of propane in about 24 hours and then I’m going to get really pissed. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is a Generac worth 5 figures if we can run to a hotel with prior notice? 

I could see it of you had a deep freezer with a couple thousand dollars worth of meat in it. Otherwise, I can’t make the math work. 

Couple of days in a hotsheets motel pays for a  4.5kw generator.  By 'couple' I mean a week.  Still, hawt motel sexxay time.

Edited by TOR

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Power is back on. Probably 36ish hours. We gave up and checked into a hotel this afternoon. Given Centerpoint’s idiotic presser earlier today, I feel pretty good about it regardless.

Oh well, good practice for traveling with the pups. 

Where’d you find a hotel, cause I’m in the market.

• Hook 'Em 1

We gave up and went to a family members house (wife side) in Copperfield. Too fucking hot to stay at our house another night, last night was miserable tonight would be the oklahoma of nights. Ate at the French Quarter off 1960, not sure if I'd recommend but was nice to get a good buzz and come to their house with AC. 

Our house is fine, physically, just hot, others in the GOOF area have power so maybe we will have it tomorrow. If not, I'm looking forward to Outback steakhouse tomorrow night. #bloominonion. I'm buzzed, but no longer sweating. 

• Hook 'Em 4