2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

All these line crews are in town and ready to roll, but reading that they end up spending a bunch of time staging and waiting for CP to actually give them marching orders,

This morning I drove past Pearland High School stadium and Freedom Field in Iowa Colony, both packed to the brim with trucks and crews. Distressing to see them all in the parking lot today still and not out fixing things going on three days after the storm.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, faps said:

This morning I drove past Pearland High School stadium and Freedom Field in Iowa Colony, both packed to the brim with trucks and crews. Distressing to see them all in the parking lot today still and not out fixing things going on three days after the storm.

Somebody in the comments pointed out the brilliant PR work of publishing this video with 2 trucks slowly putting by a sea of idle vehicles.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Damn, that bitch stepped on the gas to GTFO of Texas 

13 days from Africa to Texas, two-three days from Texas to Vermont.

And yeah, I’m jealous of those Vermont temps.

edit: I have no idea if that’s how fast hurricanes move, but the weather people seem to be saying this is not normally possible at this time of year.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, wildcat09 said:

I’ve been checking that fucking map every 30 minutes or so since they posted it and I haven’t seen anything within 5 miles of my house change on it. 

Allegedly hasn’t changed since midnight or so

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I’ve been checking that fucking map every 30 minutes or so since they posted it and I haven’t seen anything within 5 miles of my house change on it. 

The numbers they are publishing aren't budging either. Maybe they're on PTO today.

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Centerpoint just sent my wife an email that our power was back on.

Narrator: their power was not in fact back on

Who are you going to believe? A Billion dollar corporation or your lying eyes?

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

They also have to figure out a better system for giving people at least some idea of when restortation work will occur in their area.

They had something like that for the May event. While it had some glitches, it was 1000x better than this new “interactive” map. It’s very on brand for this shit company to mothball the old map before a replacement was ready. Fuck Centerpoint and it’s clown car of decision makers. 

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

13 days from Africa to Texas, two-three days from Texas to Vermont.

And yeah, I’m jealous of those Vermont temps.

edit: I have no idea if that’s how fast hurricanes move, but the weather people seem to be saying this is not normally possible at this time of year.

They are also saying that when water temps are more like they should be 2 months from now, the storms may behave like they normally would 2 months from now. 

They don’t have calendars. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

What map are you referencing?

Centerpoint sucks but I will give the city credit with some of their flood prevention work over the last 6-7 years. I haven't heard of too many flooded areas like we've seen with other storms. Granted this wasn't as bad as Allison or Harvey.

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done with the flood prone areas that are closer to the discharge areas near galveston bay or ship channel. Take buffalo and white oak bayous need downtown. They will just flood especially given  geography and bay levels. And if anything, the flood prevention projects are pushing water faster to the bayous from the streets.

Posted (edited)

It seems like AI would be a pretty great tool for a job like this. Input where the problems lie and available manpower then let the computers prioritize how to allocate resources to the best effect. No doubt CP is using a giant paper map with color coded pushpins. 

Edited by TonyTexas

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It seems like AI would be a pretty great tool for a job like this. Input where the problems lie and let the computers prioritize how to allocate resources to the best effect. No doubt CP is using a giant paper map with color coded pushpins. 

Pushpins?

It looks like some exec let his kid play with MSPaint on a map of Houston

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, safe sex said:

How crazy are the gym bathrooms/showers without lights?

There were 5 people at the gym and it was all women except me. So I couldn’t tell you. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mez2 said:

We gave up and went to a family members house (wife side) in Copperfield. Too fucking hot to stay at our house another night, last night was miserable tonight would be the oklahoma of nights. Ate at the French Quarter off 1960, not sure if I'd recommend but was nice to get a good buzz and come to their house with AC. 

Our house is fine, physically, just hot, others in the GOOF area have power so maybe we will have it tomorrow. If not, I'm looking forward to Outback steakhouse tomorrow night. #bloominonion. I'm buzzed, but no longer sweating. 

Hwy 6 location >>>> 1960

Outback, get the wings 

1 minute ago, safe sex said:

Wow, surprising lack of dedication from Houston gays smh...

My gym is sadly not a gay gym. It’s too bro-y and not in Montrose. Too many Heights yuppies

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

It seems like AI would be a pretty great tool for a job like this. Input where the problems lie and let the computers prioritize how to allocate resources to the best effect. No doubt CP is using a map with color coded pushpins. 

I would guess that CP doesn't know where all of the breaks are. I assume that once a line goes out, it's not easy to understand that it's 1, 2 or 10 breaks with that line.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My gym is sadly not a gay gym. It’s too bro-y and not in Montrose. Too many Heights yuppies

No 24 Hour Fitness Midtown or LA Fitness Greenway Plaza I see….

One time I was at 24 Hour Fitness Galleria and it stormed really bad. The lights went out and people just kept working out as we still had daylight. The manager made everyone leave for legal reasons but we all had to walk to our cars in hurricane like rain and winds. Not fun.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

No 24 Hour Fitness Midtown or LA Fitness Greenway Plaza I see….

One time I was at 24 Hour Fitness Galleria and it stormed really bad. The lights went out and people just kept working out as we still had daylight. The manager made everyone leave for legal reasons but we all had to walk to our cars in hurricane like rain and winds. Not fun.

All I know is, I don’t need to even know what a gym smells like without AC

Musty BO city 

Before Covid-19, when I'd swim at Gregory Pool...I'd just use the big main locker room right by the pools.  Everybody from college students to guest pass users to staff just minds their business, in and out.  Then after I got adjunct status, I can use the downstairs faculty changing room.  It's quieter and I get my own locker and towel service.  However, it is the old man at the gym cliche.  It's a dozen butt naked 70yo professors sitting around yapping about Plato and Keynesian economics. 

Sometimes it's a pain to get over there after work, so I got this free trial somehow before the holidays for the L.A. Fitness on South Lamar.  I liked the pool, not too chlorinated but still safe, and it has good gutters so you can glide a little easier as a middle-aged guy.  Anyway, after day 2 or 3...I'm changing in the locker room and there's two young dudes being quite flirty with one another, don't know if they were a couple or just chatting each other up naked.  And I'm just changing and packing up and one of 'em says, "Oh sorry, we didn't know anyone else was in here."  And I just said, "All good fellas."  But what I wanted to say, "I've seen the entire Humanities Department's octogenarian ball sacks debate Immanuel Kant.  Pretty sure two dudes touching each other's abs isn't going to bother me."  

• Like 1

It seems like AI would be a pretty great tool for a job like this. Input where the problems lie and available manpower then let the computers prioritize how to allocate resources to the best effect. No doubt CP is using a giant paper map with color coded pushpins. 

Event driven architecture! That’s what is kicking off all the incorrect emails. When every device adds to the Kafka stream, right?

The rumors going around here (west side - 99 and Westpark tollwayish) are that CenterPoint is now waiting on parts for damaged equipment in some areas. Some houses in my hood may be down another day or two.

The rumors going around here (west side - 99 and Westpark tollwayish) are that CenterPoint is now waiting on parts for damaged equipment in some areas. Some houses in my hood may be down another day or two.

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

image.jpeg.6d3f620e8ac4ea63b2705b889ee9dbbc.jpeg

I've been there... it blows.  Thank god my across the street neighbor ran an extension cord to run my fridge and fans.

CSB was without power for 28 days!  Turns out I'm at the end of a short hence very low priority run and my transformer was toast.  Fuck you FPL

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Just got an update email! 'Please continue to be prepared to be without power for several days.'

Solid update.

So literally a "Hurry Up & Wait" situation?  

Someday, some kid is gonna ask his dad in Houston, "Is it true that sometimes after blizzards and extreme weather stuff, 9 months later in that area---there's a spike in new babies?"

-Well yeah, son there is some evidence to suggest that because those people couldn't really couldn't go outside so Moms and Dads would spend more time together

"Well Hurricane Beryl was an extreme weather event, but there's no kids in my class born in April?"  

-We didn't have power for weeks in July, in Houston with 95% humidity.  You think your mom wanted to get down on my sweaty balls and swamp ass? I don't even wanna know what the hell she had going on down there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Houston going to Houston ….

IMG_0996.jpeg

saw that when I was out running an errand.  So weird to have pockets of places with business as usual, and others with nothing.  Whole Foods 365 on Yale/610 has no meat/chicken/pork and everyone inside looked dirty.   One cashier complained that her hotel has no power.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

IMG_0999.jpeg

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Just got an update email! 'Please continue to be prepared to be without power for several days.'

Solid update.

Y’all have my respect - we lost power during the last winter freeze, and had things stretched past a few days, what was a single homicide involving a neighbor could have easily turned into a double.

• Rage+1 1