2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_0999.jpeg

Is that for real?  Seeing two gay men kiss or cuddle gives me zero pause.  The thought of cuddling with one of my stank-ass, dad-bod friends with deviled egg/foot spray breath.  Yes, this is horrible, this idea. 

• Haha 1

Friend who works for one of our local Houston area State Representative political heroes was just on an elected official's call with Centerpoint and they straight up wouldn't take any questions after they were done giving their update and deuced off the call. If there's one thing that might cause the Lege to actually do something about Centerpoint its them thumbing their noses at our political heroes...so at least we got that going for us...

• Hook 'Em 4

CenterPoint update from briefing at 3:00
2.6 million without power
918,000 restored
A working Outage Map will be in Centerpoints website and updated at 12 noon, 4 and 8. If you sign up for Power Alert and put in your specific address you can get updates.
3000 Additional Debris Removal Crews
12,000 mutual assistance crews
10 staging sites.
I am in constant communication with all utilities in my district. We are putting pressure on them and trying to get them to move as quickly and safely as possible.

Noticed that Centerpoint has changed their outage counter to now just reflect "Customers restored since Beryl".

Interestingly, it keep slowly ticking up straight towards their  estimate of "1M restored by Wednesday Night." Currently at 985K restored. Will be a real coincidence when it tops 1M right in time for the 8 pm press release.

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

Just got an update email! 'Please continue to be prepared to be without power for several days.'

Solid update.

"Please continue to be prepared for me to come down there and kick your ass."

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

I can tell where Centerpoint is not…seriously, my hood has nothing working at all. 

Yeah it's odd. Drove around quite a bit today and only saw 2 trucks. Absolutely nothing going on in my neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

If there's one thing that might cause the Lege to actually do something about Centerpoint its them thumbing their noses at our political heroes...so at least we got that going for us...

Nothing a few million in bribes err lobbying can't fix.

• Like 4

I get the frustration, but we are only on day 3 of a 2.5 million without power event.  According to Harris County Flood Control District, after Ike in 2008, “2.2 million CenterPoint customers without power; 75% of power restored by day 10”. We were without even longer - 14 days.  CenterPoint is no doubt less than perfect, but I think people have unrealistic expectations  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Yeah it's odd. Drove around quite a bit today and only saw 2 trucks. Absolutely nothing going on in my neighborhood.

Other than the people reporting your truck weirdly driving around the neighborhood. 

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Worst Houston mayor ever ….

I’m guessing a certain owner of one of our local sports teams won’t be donating to Baldy’s reelection fund.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Worst Houston mayor ever ….

AC, hot food, cold drinks and water. How dare the Astros play

Maybe he should ask CNP why GRRB didn’t have power. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

AC, hot food, cold drinks and water. How dare the Astros play

Maybe he should ask CNP why GRRB didn’t have power. 

Throwing shade at a city’s most successful professional sports franchise sounds like a great way to be a one and done mayor.

A guy I know is down there with PPL (they arrived last night) and said they might head back north Thursday because they have been given no assignments or work or directions or support. They’re sitting in a parking lot somewhere twiddling thumbs. Two truck crews - linemen teamed with the tree guys. Nit sure how many teams they sent but probably at least 20. PPL is well run, a,ways travels around thr Northeast to help other states (as they do for us here) and I can’t imagine what they’re thinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

Drove by the massive Tomball stadium on 99 b/w 249 and 290 about 11 this morning and there were trucks and trucks stacked up in the parking lot presumably waiting to be told where to go.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tx ind said:

Drove by the massive Tomball stadium on 99 b/w 249 and 290 about 11 this morning and there were trucks and trucks stacked up in the parking lot presumably waiting to be told where to go.

Maybe I need to swing by and give them my address. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Welp this is infuriating.

How the fuck in this day and age, do you lose a 75' generator, let alone multiple units?  They don't have proprietary tracking devices?  They can't use aerial recon, those things are pretty fucking obvious looking even by a drone.  I mean, we've got dock workers "pick something up that fell off the back of a trailer", but not the whole fucking trailer.  

29 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

lobo’s crew pulled off a heist?

Lobo's Eleven.  We're most middle aged guys with health problems and couldn't charm our way out of a wet paper bag.  But we are willing to help.  Also, there was talk of a buffet?  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

A guy I know is down there with PPL (they arrived last night) and said they might head back north Thursday because they have been given no assignments or work or directions or support. They’re sitting in a parking lot somewhere twiddling thumbs. Two truck crews - linemen teamed with the tree guys. Nit sure how many teams they sent but probably at least 20. PPL is well run, a,ways travels around thr Northeast to help other states (as they do for us here) and I can’t imagine what they’re thinking. 

Who wants to bet CP fired everyone in charge of figuring out what repairs to prioritize and instructing crews where to go and replaced them with ChatGPT?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They are probably thinking the incompetence is so bad they don’t want to risk their lives at this point.

Houston is a giant slab on a swamp. Dafuq y'all expect?

As a younger fella, I once went for a run while staying at my sister’s house in Del Webb’s master planned community Summerlin, in the suburbs of Las Vegas, and one of the first things I noticed while jogging around the neighborhood was the neatness and efficiency of the underground utility infrastructure. Nevada desert? Bury everything, especially in brand new new raceways and conduit designed and built in parallel with new roads. Easy peasy. Which is what Summerlin has in common with The Woodlands.

I’m not an engineer but I can imagine the maintenance shitshow that buried infrastructure would cause in Houston. I foresee thousands of backhoes laying half submerged in a stew of busted up concrete and gumbo mud. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong.

After Harvey, Spectrum had to replace 100% of their ground and underground plant. And just ask AT&T how well buried copper holds up, remember when you would see airgas canisters laying on the ground where moisture had seeped into 100 pair cables. There are places in SW LA where centurylink has just abandoned everything.
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yeah, I spoke with Mike this morning (basically our Logistics COO).  He said he spoke with PPL and Old Dominion, and they (particularly OD) run LTL (less-than-truck-loads) through IH-10 all the time anyway.  Just somebody from the state or Centerpoint say, "Here's some shit over here that we gotta get way over there."  Obviously you need some folks on their end that know to load it/secure it properly.  But it's just hundreds, if not thousands, of trucks that could be moving shit around the affected area if there was some sort of coordinated, logistical leadership.  I mean, I know there's a lot going on, but these drivers can do this shit with one hand tied behind their back if somebody could give 'em some direction.  Generators, food, bottled water, reinforcing materials for structures that were knocked by wins/falling trees.  This isn't like a tornado that came up outta the blue, or not like SE Texas hasn't had this happen dozens of times already.  It's Mike's call, but I suggested that if we don't hear anything by end of business tomorrow, just fucking leave it be.  We tried.  It's impossible this state is this fucking stupid, but lasted so long.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I’m not an engineer but I can imagine the maintenance shitshow that buried infrastructure would cause in Houston. I foresee thousands of backhoes laying half submerged in a stew of busted up concrete and gumbo mud. Feel free to tell me I’m wrong.

I grew up in a smallish redneck town in north Louisiana back in the 70's / 80's.  We had buried infrastructure back then. 

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My sister has seen trucks sitting around all day, half-a-mile from her neighborhood that has no power.  I can imagine. 

Spongebob Texas GIF

• Hook 'Em 1