2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Just now, Brisketexan said:

There will be 1) huge campaign contributions from CP, 2) large bonuses for its execs, 3) massive rate increases for the customers to pay for “improvements” which 4) will not ever actually happen. Y’all know this routine.

Once you have a big generator or powerwall you're not going to want to pay for actual grid improvements (and it ain't poors who have those) so even more inertia 

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There will be 1) huge campaign contributions from CP, 2) large bonuses for its execs, 3) massive rate increases for the customers to pay for “improvements” which 4) will not ever actually happen. Y’all know this routine.

You left off dividends for shareholders.

21 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Once you have a big generator or powerwall you're not going to want to pay for actual grid improvements (and it ain't poors who have those) so even more inertia 

It’s not like you have a choice. As long as you’re still hooked up to the grid, you will be paying for those improvements.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Another feather in the cap for CP"s customer outreach efforts. 8 am press release this morning said "CenterPoint Energy will begin providing estimated restoration times on its restoration status tracker before noon today."

Welp, they finally updated the map at 12:45, and all they did was add a message to each neighborhood that says "we will continue to provide estimated restoration times once they become available." I clicked on probably 50 different neighborhoods and found only a single one that actually had an ETA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

I was fortunate to get my power back yesterday around 2:30 pm.  A ton of homes around me still have no power.  Tanglewood is hit or miss and the Memorial Villages are mostly a disaster.  When you drive around it’s really not hard to see the problem.  There are tall and massive trees growing mere feet from power lines.  It’s like that all around Houston.  Either bury the lines (costly) or CP should do a massive tree trimming/chopping down effort.  Many homeowners will bitch and moan but screw them.  Many of the problematic trees should never have been planted—and most were planted—Houston was a prairie.  The coordination effort likely sucks too, but let’s fix the underlying problem.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I was fortunate to get my power back yesterday around 2:30 pm.  A ton of homes around me still have no power.  Tanglewood is hit or miss and the Memorial Villages are mostly a disaster.  When you drive around it’s really not hard to see the problem.  There are tall and massive trees growing mere feet from power lines.  It’s like that all around Houston.  Either bury the lines (costly) or CP should do a massive tree trimming/chopping down effort.  Many homeowners will bitch and moan but screw them.  Many of the problematic trees should never have been planted—and most were planted—Houston was a prairie.  The coordination effort likely sucks too, but let’s fix the underlying problem.  

CP needs to spend a lot more money on tree trimming in their easements and cease installing fragile wooden poles and only use sturdier composite ones going forward.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Another feather in the cap for CP"s customer outreach efforts. 8 am press release this morning said "CenterPoint Energy will begin providing estimated restoration times on its restoration status tracker before noon today."

Welp, they finally updated the map at 12:45, and all they did was add a message to each neighborhood that says "we will continue to provide estimated restoration times once they become available." I clicked on probably 50 different neighborhoods and found only a single one that actually had an ETA.

Same here

42 minutes ago, royiv said:

You left off dividends for shareholders.

It’s not like you have a choice. As long as you’re still hooked up to the grid, you will be paying for those improvements.

Hence the inertia against improvements comment 

21 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

CP needs to spend a lot more money on tree trimming in their easements and cease installing fragile cheap wooden poles and only use sturdier expensive composite ones going forward.

I used my acute business skills to point out the fallacy of your original wishful statement. 

1 minute ago, Storm the Field said:

Oh joy, some afternoon thunderstorms. Just the thing to really help speed up restoration work.

Should hopefully drop the temps for those still without power.  But yeah, gonna be a little pause for a bit. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I guarantee I’ll be without power still on Monday.  I was without for 15 days after Ike.

I went without power for 13 days after Ike.  From that point on I decided the Houston area and Southeast TX in general wasn't for me. 

Edited by QuarterJew

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Same for me. Got some stupid text update in the middle of the night we are working hard and bragging about what they have done.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

CP needs to spend a lot more money on tree trimming in their easements and cease installing fragile wooden poles and only use sturdier composite ones going forward.

Yep, that's their plan. I believe still waiting on state signoff as part of their improvements plan.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Emergency Response Plans - how the fuck does a utility/private energy company in Houston not have this shit figured out. Houston has had many experiences for lessons learned on how to react to disasters. That CP seems to be still shooting from the hip is comical.

Houston should be writing the textbook for how coastal cities are supposed to respond to severe weather.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

and when the newer large, metal poles were being installed in Oak Forest, many neighbors complained about how ugly they were especially given that the power lines towered over the trees. Guess what survived the hurricane and which streets got power back quickly?

I've also seen more than one complaint how the tree trimmers are ruining their beautiful oak trees in the back yard.  It's impossible to please everyone.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Praised Dallas or cited Bud Adams as his personal hero, maybe. Or came out as a Cowboys/Titans/Bills fan 

If he cited Bud Adams… that doesn’t put him in Hitler or Stalin territory since nothing can touch those two, but it damn sure puts him in the running with Pol Pot.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Houston should be writing the textbook for how coastal cities are supposed to respond to severe weather.

Yes but you're forgetting one thing, "Fuck Houston" is basically the state government's motto.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes but you're forgetting one thing, "Fuck Houston" is basically the state government's motto.

This is not true.  Hot Wheels has done a lot for Houston, that RINO motherf$#cker.  Hidalgo is a disaster but the basics are still in place.  She hasn't managed to destroy everything.  Everyone talks about power blah blah but water is more important.  Got water?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

and when the newer large, metal poles were being installed in Oak Forest, many neighbors complained about how ugly they were especially given that the power lines towered over the trees. Guess what survived the hurricane and which streets got power back quickly?

I've also seen more than one complaint how the tree trimmers are ruining their beautiful oak trees in the back yard.  It's impossible to please everyone.

Trees are overrated.

4 minutes ago, TOR said:

This is not true.  Hot Wheels has done a lot for Houston, that RINO motherf$#cker.  Hidalgo is a disaster but the basics are still in place.  She hasn't managed to destroy everything.  Everyone talks about power blah blah but water is more important.  Got water?

What the fuck are you talking about? Nobody in Houston has had a problem getting water this week. 

6 minutes ago, TOR said:

The 7-8 households in the Houston area that I’m directly in contact with (friends and family scattered between Fort Bend County to Harris and Montgomery) who still don’t have power, have had no issues with getting drinking water.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Nobody in Houston has had a problem getting water this week. 

I was not being confrontational. Water is more important than electricity.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why are you bringing up water? No one is bitching about water 

Besides power what are people bitching about? I’m sure there’s issues with other essential supplies. Is everyone able to find gas/ diesel if they need it? I know the taps work but we all saw the empty bottled water shelves last week, are they back in stock? Have to ask about TP too these days since people apparently panic shit more? I heard refrigerated items were hard to come buy at some stores. But is there other things lost on the mass frustration of no electricity in the heat? I know a guy who found and bought a generator Tuesday which surprised me a little.

Posted (edited)

Most stores up here did a purge of all frozen and refrigerated items yesterday. I’m going to let the daughter be the guinea pig on the jug of milk I found at the back of the shelf at H‑E‑B. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

HEB in the heights had tons of water. Everything was in stock, except weirdly dog food.

Or so the German Shepherds would have us believe.  /ripNorm

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

I've worked with a number of energy companies in Texas and it's been my experience that the publicly owned utilities tend to be more concerned about their customers than the ones in the private sector.

Shut your mouth.  Energy Companies are EVIL.  My Gender Studies degree proved that.  

Also it cost $300k.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I've worked with a number of energy companies in Texas and it's been my experience that the publicly owned utilities tend to be more concerned about their customers than the ones in the private sector.

Because they actually answer to the voters and their customers. On the private side, they answer only to their shareholders, and are insulated from any public repercussions via bought-and-paid-for state govt officials.
Treating a public utility/necessity like a purely for-profit good has worked out exactly as one would expect.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

My team closed a nice little deal with Centerpoint last Friday.

I'll probably paid back my commission in generator fuel.

Are you in the business of selling useless tracking websites?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Are you in the business of selling useless tracking websites?

It would be kind of awesome if Shaggy was extorting Shaggy.  I mean Surly.  

Can we buy that for tree fiddy?