2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

7 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep, my parents who live on the Harris county side of the woodlands got their power back Wednesday evening and lost it on Thursday evening. I get the feeling that the linemen are doing a rush job with their restorations and as a result, many of their fixes are failing a day or two later. 

Username

• Haha 2

Yeppers 

got power last night, planned on returning home this morning, checked the security cam and back to having no power again. 

looks like I’m living in an RV in the hill country a little longer oh well

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, Storm the Field said:

Drew the real short end of the stick last night. Good chunk of my neighborhood got power around 8:00. Unfortunately a house behind me and a few over had a downed power line they'd reported that hadn't been fixed yet. Power came back on and fried the pole in their backyard, and apparently damn near electrocuted a kid in the yard south of them (2 down from my house). Long story short, south side of my street has power, north side of the street north of me has power.  22 houses in between, including me, are still boned. Centerpoint is aware of the problem and put in a work ticket last night, but god knows when they'll come back out since they've already re-powered our neighborhood's circuit. FML. 

"Slept" on a couch in my living room with a battery-powered fan keeping me at a temp just slightly below unlivable. 81 degrees downstairs, 85 upstairs. 

Hoping like hell a friend nearby or my brother gets power back today, or we can finally find a hotel. Can't do a 3rd straight restless night in a hot house.

Still no power. Fortunately, some friends of ours a few minutes away in the Heights got power back Wednesday, so we've been able to stay in their upstairs guest room the last 2 nights. And my office has had power the whole time, so I pretty much camp out there all day. Running out of clean clothes though, and getting tired of showering and changing at the gym and hauling bags and coolers all over town.

Wife finally was able to snag a hotel room for tonight and it worked out super convenient. I'm going to a suite at Astros game tonight with my firm and then I can just walk over to our room at the Marquis, so actually looking forward to having an enjoyable evening. 

Hoping to have power back Sunday or Monday. Think we're gonna book it out town for the rest of the weekend to head to my parents' where they've been keeping our dogs since Tuesday. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Before deregulation, Centerpoint, then known as Houston Power & Light, was a generator, transmission/distribution and retail electric provider.  It was a public utility.  Oncor, formerly Dallas Power & Light was the same.
As public utilities, they were granted a statutory monopoly on their services in their service area.  Both CP and Oncor have been publicly traded and privately owned at various points prior to deregulation.  That is somewhat anathema to the concept of a public utility.
At deregulation, generation, transmission/distribution, and retail electric providers were separated.  Oncor and Centerpoint maintained their monopolies, however.  I'm not sure if it's still a statutory monopoly or just a practical one, as they own all the power lines and ain't no one gonna challenge them in that.
So, they are privately owned** public utilities with a de jure or de facto monopoly and they therefore pretty much suck for everyone except their owners.
**NB when I say "privately owned," I mean including publicly traded, which is just a form of private ownership.  Which is to be distinguished by owned by a public entity, as in Austin Energy.  Private or public, they all have problems, but at least the real public utilities are ultimately answerable to the public.

Sounds like when Russia split up all their industries for the oligarchs
  • Hook 'Em 1

Lt Dan finally realizing he ain’t getting anywhere trying to pin this all on Lina? Too bad we all know Centerpoint ain’t ever gonna have to actually answer for this…Lt Dan gonna get a nice fat campaign contribution and maybe taken to a nice steak dinner and this is all gonna go away 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep, my parents who live on the Harris county side of the woodlands got their power back Wednesday evening and lost it on Thursday evening. I get the feeling that the linemen are doing a rush job with their restorations and as a result, many of their fixes are failing a day or two later. 

I’ve been thinking about this. I’m sure all the linemen know what they’re doing, but I also assume the focus right now is on getting people back online quickly. Temporary solutions have a tendency to become permanent fixes though. After every outage, there’s a mad rush to get the grid back up, but does Centerpoint have the resources or even the willingness to go back over everything and “do it right” after all of the out of town resources have left? I wonder how much that cycle contributes to the fragility of the grid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Even if Hidalgo told Lt. Dan that everything in Harris County was good, that doesn't relieve him of his duties. She doesn't speak for Houston or other incorporated areas of Houston. She doesn't speak for Galveston, Fort Bend or Montgomery counties. He still has a duty to Texas citizens even if their county judge was negligent in their job.

If he can't handle the interim duties of governor, he can refrain from it. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Even if Hidalgo told Lt. Dan that everything in Harris County was good, that doesn't relieve him of his duties. She doesn't speak for Houston or other incorporated areas of Houston. She doesn't speak for Galveston, Fort Bend or Montgomery counties. He still has a duty to Texas citizens even if their county judge was negligent in their job.

Its all bullshit. He cant handle the job.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Skipping a couple of pages, but after seeing the post about how much the center point CEO made, I checked their site for a service map. Their only real presence in electrical delivery is the Houston area. Then some natural gas in East Texas and like 3 other states. 

38 million to run a regional company is nuts. And no wonder they can’t handle their Houston grid- it’s their only grid and they don’t know what to do. 

15 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Shocking since he was so qualified being a talk radio host and all that shit.

The highlight of his radio career was getting a live, on-air vasectomy. Which was a great thing as it limited the continuation of his line. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ive been thinking, where has the city / county dropped the ball ?

I’ve seen a lot of clean up crews

cooling centers and food distribution set up 

lights are the city

if anything Abbott / Patrick / centerpoint has very much taken the spotlight off the city and county. Services seems to be running 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I don’t know why this guy decided to go down the path of Centerpoint being woke. Trying to blame DEI for Centerpoint’s terrible disaster response is some broken brain shit.

he had to show his ass, they all do it 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ve seen a lot of clean up crews

cooling centers and food distribution set up 

lights are the city

if anything Abbott / Patrick / centerpoint has very much taken the spotlight off the city and county. Services seems to be running 

It’s the classic playbook of deflecting the blame from where it belongs - Centerpoint, the state sanctioned monopoly and lack of regulation and oversight from the PUC - to local <democrat> politicians. Notice they’ve been coming after Hidalgo, but leaving Baldy alone since he’s in their back pocket.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

They haven't.  It's just easier to blame the brown lady.  Notice they never have any criticism for Whitmire? 

Remember - Lina took a VACATION, which is the greatest sin possible, even though she cut it short and came back to deal with Beryl - and she left before Beryl shifted to impact Houston.  Abbott is in Asia and did not bother to cancel or cut short his trip to deal with an emergency in his state. 

Even Rick Perry pre-emptively cancelled his trip to the 2008 RNC because there was a possibility Gustav could hit the state. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They haven't.  It's just easier to blame the brown lady.  Notice they never have any criticism for Whitmire? 

Remember - Lina took a VACATION, which is the greatest sin possible, even though she cut it short and came back to deal with Beryl - and she left before Beryl shifted to impact Houston.  Abbott is in Asia and did not bother to cancel or cut short his trip to deal with an emergency in his state. 

Even Rick Perry pre-emptively cancelled his trip to the 2008 RNC because there was a possibility Gustav could hit the state. 

Rick Perry really had a leg up on Abbott as governor. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, royiv said:

I don’t know why this guy decided to go down the path of Centerpoint being woke. Trying to blame DEI for Centerpoint’s terrible disaster response is some broken brain shit.

I'm shocked that this is the same guy who said this!

There is no reason to "add" mRNA vaccine substances to our food & water supply that is not nefarious at best & diabolical at worst. Covid style mRNA vaccines are proving extremely dangerous & harmful with lethal and died suddenly results escalating. I'll make it a felony.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like "billionaire" is just a more palatable way of saying "oligarch", or something 

I think we have way too many billionaires for them to be considered oligarchs/a little CR

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Good read, if true this whole deal is being terribly mismanaged by centerpointle$$ …

Is this dude already a senator or running ?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably will be in 2026 when Cornyn likely retires.

Nvm I only read the first bit of his rant. 

He is a prime example of only giving a shit when something directly affects him

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I think we have way too many billionaires for them to be considered oligarchs/a little CR

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oligarch

"one of a class of individuals who through private acquisition of state assets amassed great wealth that is stored especially in foreign accounts and properties and who typically maintain close links to the highest government circles"

I mean, they meet the definition pretty closely except for the part about russia. And even then some of them meet that part too lmao

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oligarch

"one of a class of individuals who through private acquisition of state assets amassed great wealth that is stored especially in foreign accounts and properties and who typically maintain close links to the highest government circles"

I mean, they meet the definition pretty closely except for the part about russia. And even then some of them meet that part too lmao

I was referring to the meaning of the prefix “oligo”

Good read, if true this whole deal is being terribly mismanaged by centerpointle$$ …

So they will probably blame some DEI initiative at CP and some woke initiatives like celebrating Juneteenth for the problems at CP.

A lot of that was probably true, cfo, outside help management etc but this asshole had to add his BS
  • Hook 'Em 3

Re: when was disaster aid requested timeline

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/politics/2024/07/11/493282/harris-county-judge-lina-hidalgo-responds-to-claims-from-acting-governor-dan-patrick-that-she-did-not-request-aid-for-the-county/?amp=1

“It feels a little silly to be talking about this right now, but I was on the phone with the President twice yesterday morning and he was reaching out, really alarmed that he was unable to reach the state leaders in order to get that request for disaster declaration,” she said. “… [Biden] was concerned about that, and I said, ‘Well, why don’t you give Dan Patrick a call directly?’ and so he did, and he called me back, and he said, ‘Yeah, he’s gonna sign it.'”

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, TOR said:

I believe anything Lina Hidalgo says as much as I believe Derka.  

I mean, presidential call logs are public records so it's all pretty verifiable. If she's lying it's gonna be apparent very quickly 

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2