2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

This storm hitting across I-10 is nuts. Really intense rain and lightning but only 20mph winds. I can't imagine it's helping speed up repairs. 

Also driving in my area of spring branch I saw quite a few lines down across the road, and a few lines up in the air held by tension with pole heads still attached

4 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Is there any actual news on how power restoration is going and projected to be, or is everyone going to continue to bitch about judges and grandstanding politicians?

Last official update from Centerpoint is 80% of everyone restored by end of day Sunday. They promised that most people would have concrete estimates by today, but haven't updated their map since last night and it's all sorts of wrong anyway. I assume the rain yesterday and today is fucking things up.

31 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Last official update from Centerpoint is 80% of everyone restored by end of day Sunday. They promised that most people would have concrete estimates by today, but haven't updated their map since last night and it's all sorts of wrong anyway. I assume the rain yesterday and today is fucking things up.

Probably doesn't include the 30% of new people whose power they will knock out during repairs. 

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, royiv said:

I don’t know why this guy decided to go down the path of Centerpoint being woke. Trying to blame DEI for Centerpoint’s terrible disaster response is some broken brain shit.

He's as big an idiot as the Centerpoint assholes.

• Like 2

Does Jason Wells work for Centerpoint or does he just sell them generators?  And is he really not locatable right now in this hour of need?  I can't read X threads so I don't know sarcasm from news which is why I don't act on X threads to begin with.  

30 minutes ago, t_eight said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/centerpoint-outage-wells-ceo-19567556.php

Remember, this guy was the CFO for PG&E...remember how great they were at crisis management...nice little puff piece from the chronicle 

image.png.112b7c276c1f33f7a1e90333725da2ed.png

image.thumb.png.049a3bda267b4afb2f466723d7238af8.png

Found dipshit’s home address on Harris CAD. Someone should drive by to see if he has power.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

Found dipshit’s home address on Harris CAD. Someone should drive by to see if he has power.

Saw someone say they should drop off their spoiled fridge and freezer contents outside his house 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Saw someone say they should drop off their spoiled fridge and freezer contents outside his house 

Unfortunately he lives in West U and those cops have a lot of time on their hands.

Just now, royiv said:

Unfortunately he lives in West U and those cops have a lot of time on their hands.

Can we get Nicole in town to distract them for a bit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

4 minutes ago, TexasCPA said:

Nah he is on the other side of Kirby. 

Yep, you’re right. I just looked at the address and assumed. Didn’t bother to look it up on the map. Street name is ironic.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Hard to get away with stuff in today’s social media world

I remember during Snowvid seeing a video of then mayor Steve Adler in his condo downtown with lights on and in a t-shirt telling everyone things would be ok.  The next day he was smart enough to turn the lights off and put on a sweater.

• Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I know that's a bougie neighborhood, but his house looks kind of shit for a big time CEO.

I think the map view is a few years old. Probably tore it down then built something  new. 

5 hours ago, Updawg said:

So they will probably blame some DEI initiative at CP and some woke initiatives like celebrating Juneteenth for the problems at CP.

A lot of that was probably true, cfo, outside help management etc but this asshole had to add his BS

I could see there being some limited amount of truth to the concept of Centerpoint having an "equity" office involved in the line work.  Centerpoint doesn't want to have the narrative that all of its trucks are repairing lines in West University and River Oaks while Second Ward and South Houston don't see a truck until some time in August.  So I suspect there is someone taking a look at distribution of resources to make sure they're not being unfairly focused on the rich white parts of town.

The concept that there is a DEI officer overseeing every single work assignment that goes out, however, is fucking absurd.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The concept that there is a DEI officer overseeing every single work assignment that goes out, however, is fucking absurd.

You 'd think, but then you see how many people religiously follow stuff like libs of tik tok...so there are plenty of morons that believe it.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, TexasCPA said:

I think the map view is a few years old. Probably tore it down then built something  new. 

The google street view is for sure the tear down, you can see it’s a big modern McMansion in the aerial view, and if you want to the front of the new house it’s on Zillow. Of course it doesn't fit the neighborhood style at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Church has been canceled on Sunday. Still without power. They dropped $82 million on a building project and didn’t spring for a generator. Weird priorities. Maybe the bridge crowd can go play cards in the cafeteria so the rest of the church can have power, right? 

Feges in Spring Branch also still without power. Good time to be a Generac salesman in Spring Valley.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Church has been canceled on Sunday. Still without power. They dropped $82 million on a building project and didn’t spring for a generator. Weird priorities. Maybe the bridge crowd can go play cards in the cafeteria so the rest of the church can have power, right? 

Feges in Spring Branch also still without power. Good time to be a Generac salesman in Spring Valley.

That’s crazy to renovate that much and not add power redundancies. Now that I think about it they probably didn’t want to house the community in a time of need, no offense to you or your religion.

1 minute ago, Covri said:

That’s crazy to renovate that much and not add power redundancies. Now that I think about it they probably didn’t want to house the community in a time of need, no offense to you or your religion.

It’s fairly good sized campus with a cooling plant. Shocking they don’t have a generator. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just a Jesus for some electricity 

Hey man, I've been sending thoughts and prayers to those harmed by this early-season storm.  Not my fault, Jesus is busy at another electrical situation.  Isn't how this dumb ass simulation works?  

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$82 million on a church renovation? Wouldn’t Jesus want his congregation to use those resources to serve the needy?

• Hook 'Em 6

Posted (edited)

It’s not my money. I didn’t have any input. But typical big church politics. Every single group gets their own dedicated room with a plaque. 

Meanwhile, things like infrastructure go by the wayside. I fully expect a generator silent auction to happen in the next couple weeks. 

I’m not trying to besmirch my church. Almost everyone has their hearts in the right place. The clergy hospital visits really helped when a loved one spent 2 months in the hospital. But… yeah big construction company owners sit on important boards and they never insisted on a generator. Unwise. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s not my money. I didn’t have any input. But typical big church politics. Every single group gets their own dedicated room with a plaque. 

Meanwhile, things like infrastructure go by the wayside. I fully expect a generator silent auction to happen in the next couple weeks. 

Do you tithe?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tokamak said:

Reprojected to 85%

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Do you tithe?

I’m almost entirely traditional salary and bonuses. If I were taxed at around 14-15% of capital gains income, I would be more inclined to give more. I give where I can to causes I think are worthy.

They do some really nice work with Houston homeless groups and South American orphanages. I’m not chipping in a 15th century tapestry. 

• Hook 'Em 1