2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s fairly good sized campus with a cooling plant. Shocking they don’t have a generator. 

I think it could actually be an interesting thread topic to discuss the churches and non or not denominations they represent and also the things they offer outside Sunday service.  I’m not starting it though as I’m a casual attender lol.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Covri said:

I think it could actually be an interesting thread topic to discuss the churches and non or not denominations they represent and also the things they offer outside Sunday service.  I’m not starting it though as I’m a casual attender lol.

Prior to Covid, the chow at Second Baptist on Woodway was top notch. Jane’s Grill Sunday brunch was around $12 a head and they had a full buffet, omelet and carving station. Also had $8 dinners every weekday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Covri said:

I would subscribe to that thread.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

My brothers in Christ, it’s fucking 89 degrees inside my house and I’ve got at least another 48 hours of this to go. Could you kindly shut the fuck up about your churches?

You could burn them all down. It isn't like it would be any hotter. 

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m almost entirely traditional salary and bonuses. If I were taxed at around 14-15% of capital gains income, I would be more inclined to give more. I give where I can to causes I think are worthy.

They do some really nice work with Houston homeless groups and South American orphanages. I’m not chipping in a 15th century tapestry. 

Gotcha. I struggle with religion that can justify $82 million on internal infrastructure before spending that money on charity. It seems super backwards to me. I’d rather just give money to organizations that support those causes you mention before they skim their portion to build palaces of worship.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Centerpoint 's map says my house has grid power. It does not. I'm sure this is how it is going to reach "85% restored" on Sunday. 

Pics of wife with 85 percent clothes?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

You could burn them all down. It isn't like it would be any hotter. 

Truly, an incredible performance from 54 years ago.   

I thought the lyrics were pretty appropriate for Texas today.

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Centerpoint 's map says my house has grid power. It does not. I'm sure this is how it is going to reach "85% restored" on Sunday. 

Their map shows that my house doesn’t have power, but my power was restored around noon yesterday.

Their map is all fucked up.

Edited to add: The whole subdivision that I live in - over 1,000 homes - is blue on their map, but every home got the power restored on Thursday. That’s how unreliable the map is.

Edited by Victor Lazlo
Clarification
  • Hook 'Em 2

Clever how CenterPoint map has green for energized and slightly different green for power restored undetermined. Let’s not make the latter red so that you can easily see how broadly the outages are. $100 says a data person had a different scheme and a PR person or exec overrode it.

image.thumb.png.1f05a868ceb399eaacf337ce1821b919.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, royiv said:

$82 million on a church renovation? Wouldn’t Jesus want his congregation to use those resources to serve the needy?

This was the start of leaving our church and questioning it's priorities... different church but I could see everything was about show and spectacle and growth growth growth but little about Jesus.

Anyhow, friends on FB in our old part of town still bitching about the power situation.  What a mess.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Faces eaten, Leopards demand answers

Just a few days after a bunch of Texas municipalities are complaining that cryptomining companies are coming in and exploiting their overly permissive regulations to batter them with significant noise and power draw issues. 

Lots of faces getting eaten by leopards lately. But at least we're the most business friendly state amirite 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

What came out of the questions and furrowed brows after the ice storm in 2021?

Rate raises for customers and higher dividends for shareholders, mostly

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, immamac said:

The American consumer is guiltier than fuck for being defrauded openly without even considering accountability as an option. 

What the fuck am I gonna be able to do about it? Call my fuckin senator or Congressperson? Again? Write them a letter they won't reply to for 8 fucking months? They ain't listening unless you're holding capital and handing some to them. 

Am I gonna go get a different power company? Can't. 

What is one mechanism accessible to me to meaningfully hold centerpoint and the state of Texas accountable?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TOR said:

Some of them Church Of Christ girls are pretty frigid.  So, there's that.

Bullshit…I went to ACU for a while and those COC girls love to fuck! They just need to be away from their parents gaze for a minute.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Clever how CenterPoint map has green for energized and slightly different green for power restored undetermined. Let’s not make the latter red so that you can easily see how broadly the outages are. $100 says a data person had a different scheme and a PR person or exec overrode it.

image.thumb.png.1f05a868ceb399eaacf337ce1821b919.png

Make maps for a living and that is definitely shit I would do if I was trying to/directed to hide or obfuscate something...

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
  • Hook 'Em 6

What the fuck am I gonna be able to do about it? Call my fuckin senator or Congressperson? Again? Write them a letter they won't reply to for 8 fucking months? They ain't listening unless you're holding capital and handing some to them. 
What is one mechanism accessible to me to meaningfully hold centerpoint and the state of Texas accountable?

Well…vote for people other than the ones who keep fucking us all repeatedly. Which won’t matter, because you’re outnumbered by your aggy neighbors in their bro-dozers who just can’t stop voting for the Leopards who Eat Their Faces because woke BLM and MS-13 DEI and whatnot.

So, be at peace with the fact that the utter idiots will control our fate and continue to gleefully fuck us all, including themselves. Because we, collectively, are too stupid to even think of expecting our government to function.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

22 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Make maps for a living and that is definitely shit I would do if I was trying to/directed to hide or obfuscate something...

/r/Houston to the rescue again with a color remap for readability 

bhk58w7l4acd1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

The mechanism of change is to leave the state 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wonder what’ll harm more people in the affected areas, the lack of power and safe food in this heat…or the mob rush to the polls to ensure this happens again and again?  

• Like 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

I wonder what’ll harm more people in the affected areas, the lack of power and safe food in this heat…or the mob rush to the polls to ensure this happens again and again?  

We can't let them woke the grid! We let them put renewables on and now it's all gone to shit!! [/oilbaron]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw a copy of a book entitled “Suggested Regulations of Sole Energy Providers Prior to Natural Disasters” on a library shelf in Houston.  But I didn’t want the children of CenterPoint leadership feeling bad about themselves.  So I had the Librarian jailed and the books burned.  Yeah, it’s too hot for a book burning but sometimes you gotta do what’s right for the children.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

If you're sitting at home without power, just remember that Centerpoint made $6,000,000,000 in profit last year alone. Thank goodness for our business friendly state!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deregulation_of_the_Texas_electricity_market#:~:text=The wholesale generation market was,with generators across the state

According to a 2014 report by the Texas Coalition for Affordable Power (TCAP),[3] "deregulation cost Texans about $22 billion from 2002 to 2012. And residents in the deregulated market pay prices that are considerably higher than those who live in parts of the state that are still regulated. For example, TCAP found that the average consumer living in one of the areas that opted out of deregulation, such as Austin and San Antonio, paid $288 less in 2012 than consumers in the deregulated areas."

CP also spent more on lobbying last year than they paid in taxes

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/10/19/houston-utility-takes-no-2-spot-for-lobbying.html

https://www.city-journal.org/article/after-hurricane-beryl-houston-is-sweltering

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisbarth/2011/12/14/29-companies-that-paid-millions-for-lobbying-and-didnt-pay-taxes/

Edited by Captainant
Whoopsied dividend for profit. Thank you dahobbs and houtex for correcting me.
  • Rage+1 1

I saw a copy of a book entitled “Suggested Regulations of Sole Energy Providers Prior to Natural Disasters” on a library shelf in Houston.  But I didn’t want the children of CenterPoint leadership feeling bad about themselves.  So I had the Librarian jailed and the books burned.  Yeah, it’s too hot for a book burning but sometimes you gotta do what’s right for the children.  

You’re on fire today!

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Is there a source for that 6 billion number? I'm honestly surprised centerpoint is big enough to do that. 

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Is there a source for that 6 billion number? I'm honestly surprised centerpoint is big enough to do that. 

They paid $535MM in dividends and I can't find any info on share buybacks since back in 2019.  I think someone got some bad info on that one.

• Hook 'Em 3

If I remember correctly, (I was 10) but I think that we were without power for a month after Alicia in 1983.  That was a hot summer.

Also.....

From the CPC (Climate Prediction Center)

"Tropical cyclone activity is not especially likely in the Atlantic basin for the remainder of July. (NOAA CPC)
We seem to be entering a period where dust and sinking air dominates much of the basin. Sinking air and dust tends to suppress thunderstorm growth and development. This inhibits tropical systems from forming. Most of the rising air in the background of the atmosphere is over the Pacific right now, hence why development odds seem higher in that basin, both east and west. Does that mean nothing will form? No. It’s entirely possible that something could still develop over the next 2 to 3 weeks, but it would likely be more sudden and close to home than long tracked like Beryl was. For now, let’s just enjoy the fact that quiet is expected, because it would seem to be that August will see the switch flip back to “on” for the Atlantic."