2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

On 7/13/2024 at 10:36 AM, Captainant said:

/r/Houston to the rescue again with a color remap for readability 

bhk58w7l4acd1.jpeg

Houston sucks

Galveston at least has our corrupt people invested so they want to fix everything quick to get the tourists back so the $$$$ keeps flowing in

23 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I have always found it interesting that we bag on Russians for not demanding that their elected leaders not be total shit-stains, but that same response seemingly doesn’t apply to our own glasshouses

• Hook 'Em 4

So today apparently a Centerpoint linesman told someone on our street that we werent scheduled for any repair because there wasn’t an open ticket. I guess not enough people called to complain and they won’t fix any issues despite obviously being able to tell that there’s no electricity. 

• Rage+1 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, QuarterJew said:

Thank you all for confirming that I made the right choice to leave the sweltering swamp shithole that is Southeast Texas.  

We don’t want your type here anyway. 🦆🐥🐤

Edited by TonyTexas

They got my whole neighborhood back up and running…. Except my street. I kept getting a bunch of celebratory texts all day. I guess we’re a dreaded nested outage. Back of the queue we go. 

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

They got my whole neighborhood back up and running…. Except my street. I kept getting a bunch of celebratory texts all day. I guess we’re a dreaded nested outage. Back of the queue we go. 

Same.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Finally got power about an hour ago. I feel for you that are still without. Fuck Centerpoint!

I'd like to picture you using your first 10 minutes of energy to charge your blue-tooth Dead playlist and your phone and your Cannabis inhaler of choice and your ice maker for bourbon.  Then sit down, ingest some substances, put on "Scarlet Begonias" and just start leaving voicemail after voicemail to Centerpoint leadership with passive-aggressive insults like, "What's the point, if your mom's in the center of our threeway?"  Or something, I dunno.  We'll workshop it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, Hate said:
Finally got power about an hour ago. I feel for you that are still without. Fuck Centerpoint!

Drink

Way ahead of you! I plan on being hungover at work tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240714-213441.thumb.png.0e9cca5823d70850ffe4f6a7447c68d6.png

Notice how all of that emergency authority the governor litigated so hard to get…is really not being used? Can’t actually upset his donors.

Truly sorry to see so many people going through this. I still have dozens of family members and friends in Houston, many still without power. It’s maddening. And all you want it to do is get fixed, but nobody competent is showing up to save the day.
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)

It’s been really nice to walk out on the porch to take a one hit and not hear generators throughout the hood.  The only sounds out tonight are those of the ACs running trying to cool down some houses that have been running hot for a few days now. We’ve already done some laundry and run the dishwasher. Goddamn, I had forgotten what it was to be operating normally.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Went 19 days w/o power during Ike. Nothing like trashing a fridge and washing machine to learn about electrical rigging and generators. Run everything of the Ford Powerboost now. 

Love my powerboost 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Too bad y'all didn't have the CenterPoint executives' idea of becoming major investors in Generac.

Or just be investors in the people passing the laws and get some favorable terms yourself. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/04/texas-energy-industry-donations-legislature/

It's the free market at work, baby!

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Or just be investors in the people passing the laws and get some favorable terms yourself. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/04/texas-energy-industry-donations-legislature/

It's the free market at work, baby!

Crazy that they allow insider trading for politicians. Are there funds out there that just follow Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, etc. and just do the same trades? Are their trades known in real time? Do they out perform the market?

20 minutes ago, mbtex said:

Well as of 5:45am officially a week without power. A little over 15 houses on my block still waiting with no updates.

Yeah, we're a row of streets, the north side of one, the south side of another, that are like 32 houses without power.

The good news is that after a lot of attention and complaints, Centerpoint altered their map so that "Energrized" now reads "Energized but maybe with outages."  Super helpful. And pretty sure that email above saying the 19th is basically just Centerpoint saying "We'll get to you when we get to you, so stop fucking calling."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, we're a row of streets, the north side of one, the south side of another, that are like 32 houses without power.

Same here. North side of 38th and south side of 39th are still out. South side of 38th has had power since Tuesday. The map says the rest of GOOF should be up and running by end of day tomorrow. 

There was actually some action in the neighborhood yesterday. A handful of small pockets got power back. I'm talking like one side of one block in certain areas. 

There's a small armada of bucket trucks working in Sec. 1 this morning. Hopefully they can wrap up over there and move over across Shepherd later today or tomorrow. 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, mbtex said:

Well as of 5:45am officially a week without power. A little over 15 houses on my block still waiting with no updates.

7:25 this morning made it 7 full days for me. After spending the weekend at my folks' house, wife and I checked into an extended stay hotel with our dogs last night, and we're currently booked for tonight as well. Fortunately our kennel is back open so was able to drop the dogs off at daycare today.

I've stayed pretty optimistic this whole time and have held up pretty well, but it's gonna get ugly if we're not back in the house at some point tomorrow.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

7:25 this morning made it 7 full days for me. After spending the weekend at my folks' house, wife and I checked into an extended stay hotel with our dogs last night, and we're currently booked for tonight as well. Fortunately our kennel is back open so was able to drop the dogs off at daycare today.

I've stayed pretty optimistic this whole time and have held up pretty well, but it's gonna get ugly if we're not back in the house at some point tomorrow.

I texted my SIL this morning. They are still without power in Memorial. The men stayed and are toughing it out. The women left for the mountains.

5 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Same here. North side of 38th and south side of 39th are still out. South side of 38th has had power since Tuesday. The map says the rest of GOOF should be up and running by end of day tomorrow. 

There was actually some action in the neighborhood yesterday. A handful of small pockets got power back. I'm talking like one side of one block in certain areas. 

There's a small armada of bucket trucks working in Sec. 1 this morning. Hopefully they can wrap up over there and move over across Shepherd later today or tomorrow. 

My daughter and SIL are near you.  They are on Fisher east of Alba.  They are still without power.  

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The good news is that after a lot of attention and complaints, Centerpoint altered their map so that "Energrized" now reads "Energized but maybe with outages."  Super helpful. And pretty sure that email above saying the 19th is basically just Centerpoint saying "We'll get to you when we get to you, so stop fucking calling."

Same exact situation here. Literally my block has nothing, and we're staring at people with power in all four directions. Around 30ish homes. We got power for a few seconds yesterday at 5:45 pm, immediately heard a loud boom, and lost it again. I'm sure we're back down at the bottom of the queue again.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I picked up Myti last night and damn were there a lot of trucks in that area all along 43rd coming from Ella. Centerpoint, Oncor, a couple logos I didn’t recognize or couldn’t read. Some of them looked like they were at individual houses for outages 

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I texted my SIL this morning. They are still without power in Memorial. The men stayed and are toughing it out. The women left for the mountains.

This is what might finally get some movement on Houston's power situation.  During the Derecho, and now during this hurricane, Memorial has been really hit hard.  You can't fuck over the villages in Houston for very long.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Same exact situation here. Literally my block has nothing, and we're staring at people with power in all four directions. Around 30ish homes. We got power for a few seconds yesterday at 5:45 pm, immediately heard a loud boom, and lost it again. I'm sure we're back down at the bottom of the queue again.

Yup. We got power back last Thursday, for 1 hour, and then the summer show hit and there was a lightning strike and that was it. And I'm sure it moved us back to the bottom of the queue. Hell, a woman reported a live wire at the end of her street this morning and centerpoint couldn't even tell her when someone would be out to inspect it.

Meanwhile there's like 100 trucks just sitting around the parking lot at Sam Houston raceway. 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is what might finally get some movement on Houston's power situation.  During the Derecho, and now during this hurricane, Memorial has been really hit hard.  You can't fuck over the villages in Houston for very long.

Rich people all have Generacs. It's business as usual for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, tokamak said:

I've shared the irony here with other people. We ordered a generator after the derecho. They told us the waiting peroid for city approval was 2-4 months then, before they would install. It's probably 6 months now. And after Uri, it was 9 months total time for my neighbors who got one installed. Anyway, the irony is this:

Centerpoint is so bad a their jobs that people will spend the cost of a small car to not have to deal with them in a crisis anymore, but the city of Houston permitting system won't get out of the way enough to allow us to spend money to get the fuck away from Centerpoint. It's truly getting chinese finger-cuffed by Centpoint and City of Houston. 

Cypress and other suburbs can get their shit installed in a week or two. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

people will spend the cost of a small car to not have to deal with them in a crisis anymore

I’d rather dump the fridge and head west for a week or so and hang in San Antonio or Austin. Cheaper too

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Same here for the first part. Battery has kept us sane, but it is still a bit tight given the lack of sun. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Surprisingly, that isn't entirely true. My SIL got me in trouble with a mayor and longtime friend by telling me that he had a Generac when in fact he didn't. And my SIL didn't get one yet because they were quoted something like 100K. I told them to not do whole house but just the kitchen and the associated AC. They don't want to spend too much money because the house is old and should probably be replaced rather than given a facelift.

Edited by Bevo

1 minute ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

We were fortunate and only without power for the day of the storm.  However, we lost it last night about the time others we know who had been without got it back.  Methinks they are just rotating power.

I don't think that is likely. There is no generation issue, it's all transmission. Almost certainly something else broke affecting your house. 

24 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They are fucking themselves by not taking care of their vegetation.  I’ve been throughout the Villages since the storm and there are countless lines down because of fallen trees and very tall bushes. Many still without power.  CP has done a shitty job of trimming/chopping down trees/bushes.  Still, if it was my home or property I’d remove any tree or tall bush that could possibly take out a power line.  And I know several people in the Villages that, for whatever reason, don’t have a generator and they either are staying with friends, got a hotel or left town.  We are all empty nesters so it’s easier to leave.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d rather dump the fridge and head west for a week or so and hang in San Antonio or Austin. Cheaper too

See below.

13 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Less of an option when you have small children. 

Ding Ding Ding. Not only children, but we were supposed to watch my early onset dementia father in law while my SIL, who usually cares for him, went to a very well earned vacation for 10 days. You can't just drag someone in that condtion and plop them in a hotel room for a few days, or want to share one with them. Well, you can, I suppose, but you're in for a different knid of fucking hell, I assure you. 

And as for kiddo, well, you want to keep him in camps and his routine and learning as much as possible, not just starting a tablet or TV screen. And that's not to mention my own work obligations that don't work as well from another city when my kid is begging me to play with him all day and I'm trying to work. 

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't think that is likely. There is no generation issue, it's all transmission. Almost certainly something else broke affecting your house. 

The city is not rotating power. The didn't choose not "not rotate" power to some folks for 8 days and running. It's 100% transmission. 

• Like 1