2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

6 minutes ago, Updawg said:

My prediction is nothing comes out of all of this except higher rates for everyone

This.

All this is dumb bc people who set policies that lead to shit like this remain in place while rate payers are left shouldering the cost. Company gets some bad PR for a period of time before people forget and go on making tik toks and complaining about high rates.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Congrats man. Still waiting for the good news. Was hoping for today, but tomorrow is getting more and more likely. Glad we kept our hotel room booked for another evening.

Down to 196K outages. At this point, no less than 92% of people whose power went out will get restored before me.

Is your hotel room the courtyard at Marriott off 10 near the heights? Because we look fucked for awhile longer and that’s our go to and it’s all booked up…

49 minutes ago, Updawg said:

My prediction is nothing comes out of all of this except higher rates for everyone

The higher rates are a given. 

Finally got power around 7:00 tonight. Seven and a half days almost on the dot. I got an automated call from Centerpoint saying they’d get to me by Friday. Good job, good effort Ms. Robovoice. 

My poor neighbor’s A/C won’t kick on. The gift that keeps on giving. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Finally got power around 7:00 tonight. Seven and a half days almost on the dot. I got an automated call from Centerpoint saying they’d get to me by Friday. Good job, good effort Ms. Robovoice. 

Tell them to change the capacitor before anything else. Happens a lot and a $15 fix is worth the blind shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tell them to change the capacitor before anything else. Happens a lot and a $15 fix is worth the blind shot. 

This.

Super easy to change even with limited electrical experience. Just remember to kill the breaker… don’t forget that or you’re going to have a very bad day. Oh and also dissipate the capacitor. Another not so fun bite if it’s still energized

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, tokamak said:

Thats been going around. People saying the siege when power is restored busts the AC. Not sure if that’s the capacitor as other ms have mentioned, but I went by and turned off the breaker to the AC and Washer and Dryer yesterday just in case. 

looks like my power will be off till the 19th…

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thats been going around. People saying the siege when power is restored busts the AC. Not sure if that’s the capacitor as other ms have mentioned, but I went by and turned off the breaker to the AC and Washer and Dryer yesterday just in case. 

Centerpoint trying to distract the authorities….

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Y'all realize this is the first storm of the season and it was a Cat 1.

tlfprv7oh7yd27u3x81o.jpg

This is our concern, dude. A Cat 2 or 3 might destroy the city at this rate 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

For the AC, for newer systems at least, the thermostat would take time to boot up before it sent the 24 volts to the contactor. Better safe than sorry, but there was probably more chances of damage during the outage itself. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is your hotel room the courtyard at Marriott off 10 near the heights? Because we look fucked for awhile longer and that’s our go to and it’s all booked up…

The higher rates are a given. 

We always stay at Marriot properties. Previously when we've needed long-term lodging (waiting for our house to be finished, derecho...etc.), we've stayed at the Residence Inn over in the Galleria. It's a nice area, but kind of old, not updated hotel. Shitty old TV's. Spent the last 2 night at the Townplace Suites off Rice and Fournace. Sketchier area, but more updated, nicer place. 

Checked out this morning and went ahead and boarded the dogs. Gonna crash with my brother and SIL tonight and see what tomorrow brings. May just keep boarding dogs and staying with friends/family as it's cheaper than getting a room somewhere that takes pets. 

Confirmed last night that we're in a nested outage (~22 houses affected) and have zero priority for restoration. Could be anywhere from today to Friday. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

We always stay at Marriot properties. Previously when we've needed long-term lodging (waiting for our house to be finished, derecho..etc.), we've stayed at the Residence Inn over in the Galleria. It's a nice area, but kind of old, not updated hotel. Shitty old TV's. Spent the last 2 night at the Townplace Suites off Rice and Fournace. Sketchier area, but more updated, nicer place. 

Checked out this morning and went ahead and boarded the dogs. Gonna crash my brother tonight and see what tomorrow brings. May just keep boarding dogs and staying with friends/family as it's cheaper than getting a room somewhere that takes pets. 

Confirmed last night that we're in a nested outage (~22 houses affected) and have zero priority for restoration. Could be anywhere from today to Friday. 

You should Storm the Centerpoint office

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

We always stay at Marriot properties. Previously when we've needed long-term lodging (waiting for our house to be finished, derecho...etc.), we've stayed at the Residence Inn over in the Galleria. It's a nice area, but kind of old, not updated hotel. Shitty old TV's. Spent the last 2 night at the Townplace Suites off Rice and Fournace. Sketchier area, but more updated, nicer place. 

Checked out this morning and went ahead and boarded the dogs. Gonna crash with my brother and SIL tonight and see what tomorrow brings. May just keep boarding dogs and staying with friends/family as it's cheaper than getting a room somewhere that takes pets. 

We got the same "today to friday" message. Lots of peopel did, Centerpoint even blasted it to a fuck ton of people. It means nothing. It might not be friday, or it could be sooner.

Case in point apparently a legion of like 12 trucks are working in Timbergrove right now. So we will PROBABLY have power by tonight or tomorrow, depending on what needs to be done. 

Forgot to mention my favorite part of today's update. Stopped by my house to grab some clothes this morning. Centerpoint contractors in my backyard finally installing the 2nd gas meter for the generac we ordered roughly 6 weeks ago!

Stop bragging. I've been told it's going to be months before the city of houston approves our ATS switch plans. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m sure lots of linemen across the US are going to be in a hurry to stage to Texas when the next hurricane is forecast to come through.

Who wouldn't when the local cray are exercising their God given 2nd Amendment rights to shoot your ass because they are inconvenienced?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

New state motto: "Texas...maybe someday, we'll have our shit together as well as Mexico does."

That's where we are, folks.  I mean, we don't even get to wear the cool pointy boots.  FFS.

No one is stopping you, chooch.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

A colleague of mine was in Cancun when Beryl made landfall as a strong Cat 2. He said they rode it out in their room. They never lost power. They never lost internet or cell phone coverage. Once the storm had passed, everything was cleaned up and the party resumed. How in the fuck is the “Energy Capitol of the World” worse than handling hurricanes than Mexico??? 

Buried power lines.  Downtown Houston never lost power for the same reason. 

15 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Buried power lines.  Downtown Houston never lost power for the same reason. 

I think it has more to do with the types of trees. They don’t have any really tall trees and palm trees seem to be resilient to the wind. Pine trees can only take so much and take a lot with them when they fall….i guess. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I’d love for some smart person to calculate the economic impact of the lost productivity for Houston this week, and compare that to the cost of burying the major lines.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Next time it's going to be worse. Houston isn't getting any out of state help.

Lol. That's an interesting twitter account.

LIBERAL RUN CITIES!! So...you mean, like literally all of the cities in America?
https://ballotpedia.org/Party_affiliation_of_the_mayors_of_the_100_largest_cities

THe first R on the list is Dallas, and that guy was elected as a Democrat, then switched parties. Then Fort Worth.  Then you're out of the top 20 with Oklahoma City. 

I wouldn't worry about a shortage of linemen. Centerpoint will just keep offering to pay more until they get the workers to come, then they'll jack up the rates on electricity and gas customers.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

I’m sure the fentanyl OD was from buying drugs with their per diem and not drinking water given to them by citizens hoping to give away their drugs and free water willingly during a blackout. 

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, Hate said:

I think it has more to do with the types of trees. They don’t have any really tall trees and palm trees seem to be resilient to the wind. Pine trees can only take so much and take a lot with them when they fall….i guess. 

Team No Pine Trees. Mature pines produce some damage when they come down. Oak trees can as well, but oaks seem to drop their major limbs directly down whereas pines look like Paul Bunyan chopping them down and yelling Timber.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

A colleague of mine was in Cancun when Beryl made landfall as a strong Cat 2. He said they rode it out in their room. They never lost power. They never lost internet or cell phone coverage. Once the storm had passed, everything was cleaned up and the party resumed. How in the fuck is the “Energy Capitol of the World” worse than handling hurricanes than Mexico??? 

You're talking about Cancun, which is 81 miles from where Beryl made landfall in Tulum. 

There are places in Tulum and Cozumel still without power.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Are you posting this as snark or do you have some agenda that would be better served in CR?

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Team No Pine Trees. Mature pines produce some damage when they come down. Oak trees can as well, but oaks seem to drop their major limbs directly down whereas pines look like Paul Bunyan chopping them down and yelling Timber.

Most of the major damage and tree loss in our area was huge oaks being completely uprooted 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

You're talking about Cancun, which is 81 miles from where Beryl made landfall in Tulum. 

There are places in Tulum and Cozumel still without power.

Cancun still experienced 80-100 mph wind gusts which is higher than most places experienced in the Houston area.

Fentanyl laced water? Seems fucky.

First return on a search is the debunked claim roadside workers, while on the job, are being handed drugged water by passersby in various parts of the country. So, this is a disinfo thing.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-roadside-workers-fentanyl-water-death-hospital-055756958902

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Are you posting this as snark or do you have some agenda that would be better served in CR?

Most of the major damage and tree loss in our area was huge oaks being completely uprooted 

That's a bizarre question. I only posted a contractors experience and why he won't be coming back. I don't know why it would be political and why anyone would try to make it political. Why does everything have to be political?

• Fuck You 9

9 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

That's a bizarre question. I only posted a contractors experience and why he won't be coming back. I don't know why it would be political and why anyone would try to make it political. Why does everything have to be political?

The maga hat on the twitter poster might be a clue.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

My nested outage was fixed this morning. The Generac purchased after Uri has been a champ through this.

Still in a nested outage, but heard some scuttlebutt among neighbors about a half hour ago that there is finally some activity on the street north of me, which appears to be the source of the problem. Not 100% getting my hopes up just yet, but best news I've heard in a while.

Also lost power for several days and had pool pumps freeze and crack during Uri. After losing power for 6 days following the derecho, we decided "never again" and bit the bullet on a whole-home generator. Unfortunately, we didn't account for their being another massive outage less than 2 months later, before installation could be completed. Next freak storm though!!!!!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 3