2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

On 7/18/2024 at 8:41 PM, royiv said:

Got my Centerpoint bill in the mail today. Good to see their billing system wasn’t impacted by the power outage.

But they didnt bill you for the days you were out of power, so, score? 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Well since Arizona only has HOT as weather, maybe it is just his hobby.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I find it very suspicious that a guy from Arizona is posting on the hurricane thread.

Moved to Arizona from Mandeville after getting Dennis, Ivan, Katrina, Rita, Gustav and a close up view of Ike going by in the gulf. I also have family in Florida. 

Edited by Zonahorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

Going to Cancun in August with cancellation eligible stay but this still likely means GOM system last week of August. Coastal vacation in August, September is like playing craps.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Going to Cancun in August with cancellation eligible stay but this still likely means GOM system last week of August. Coastal vacation in August, September is like playing craps.

Always have to buy the insurance or make sure the stay is easily cancellable if you're headed anywhere in the Caribbean during hurricane season.

On 7/24/2024 at 8:09 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Heading to Isla Mujeres in a couple of weeks.  Anything brewing out there I should be watching?

Well, I’m going on the 8th.   I will be the older drunk white guy staring at your wife.

Unless you were talking about weather. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yeah, saw other people talking/posting about Debbie having a 95% chance of not crossing the sabine. Most think its going up floridas ass… for now

And we all remember when Beryl was headed straight for the Mexico-Texas border.  Good times.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Posted (edited)

...and I don't care where you live in Houston or your flood zone status.  Unless you are in a midrise condo or essentially off of the ground floor, you should have flood insurance.  Just ask Harvey.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Basil said:

I did not flood in Harvey so I figure I'm pretty safe.

I didn’t flood during Ike, Tax Day, Memorial Day, or Harvey. I live in a newer neighborhood with good storm water drainage.

27 minutes ago, Basil said:

I did not flood in Harvey so I figure I'm pretty safe.

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

I didn’t flood during Ike, Tax Day, Memorial Day, or Harvey. I live in a newer neighborhood with good storm water drainage.

My dad still owns a home (rents it out) in Houston.  If you think "didn't flood during any of those events" isn't central to the marketing both for rental and eventual sale purposes, you ain't very smart.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I live in a flood zone X (lowest risk as classified by the NFIP) area of Houston that has never flooded. I still have flood insurance. It’s not worth risking it in Houston and it’s cheap.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My dad still owns a home (rents it out) in Houston.  If you think "didn't flood during any of those events" isn't central to the marketing both for rental and eventual sale purposes, you ain't very smart.

My house was built and sold to its first owner right before Harvey and it was high and dry - you bet your ass we're gonna advertise that it's been resilient (so far) against the severe weather whenever it comes time to move and sell this place

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

My house was built and sold to its first owner right before Harvey and it was high and dry - you bet your ass we're gonna advertise that it's been resilient (so far) against the severe weather whenever it comes time to move and sell this place

careful representing stuff.  If you say anything other than - didn't flood during the following named events: A, B, C, D - your realtor/lawyer needs to have their professional liability insurance all paid up, and you better have an umbrella policy to defend you individually.  

2 minutes ago, Dendox said:

careful representing stuff.  If you say anything other than - didn't flood during the following named events: A, B, C, D - your realtor/lawyer needs to have their professional liability insurance all paid up, and you better have an umbrella policy to defend you individually.  

I mean....if each of those is demonstrably true....WTF?  The house has also never struck by a Russian missile, never destroyed by a tornado, and Kanye West never spent a night there.  All of those things are demonstrably true...so how in the fuck is saying things that are plainly true even close to actionable?  We're not talking about saying "it won't ever flood."  Just "it did not flood in these events."  Which is....true.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....if each of those is demonstrably true....WTF?  The house has also never struck by a Russian missile, never destroyed by a tornado, and Kanye West never spent a night there.  All of those things are demonstrably true...so how in the fuck is saying things that are plainly true even close to actionable?  We're not talking about saying "it won't ever flood."  Just "it did not flood in these events."  Which is....true.

thats the point.  Say what is true - verifiably - only.  Period.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, royiv said:

I live in a flood zone X (lowest risk as classified by the NFIP) area of Houston that has never flooded. I still have flood insurance. It’s not worth risking it in Houston and it’s cheap.

My house was built in '58 and has never flooded.  I'm good thanks.  I throw enough money away on negative EV insurance. 

7 hours ago, royiv said:

Used to be cheap, now I don't know that I can call it cheap after Risk Rate 2.0 implementation. Zone X is now like $800/yr and rising. You live in a  worse zone and you're paying couple hundred bucks a month 

35 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm of the opinion that saying "never" if you live anywhere in Houston is a mistake. Shit's always changing. TMC flooded like crazy in Allison, so they made big changes to the bayou system to protect it.....which then caused Bellaire/Meyerland to start flooding more often. Any time they make an improvement somewhere, and everyone says hooray - well, that water has to go somewhere.

Yup.  My house was built in 1959 and never flooded... until Harvey.  I was zone X.  I also know people who didn't flood during Harvey and did not live in flood zones who flooded in Houston over the past couple of years.  Overbuilding, poor drainage, more and more storm events with heavier rain... it's better safe than sorry.  When my street flooded during Harvey (one of many in our neighborhood) we were the only ones with flood insurance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1