2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Forget the meteorological models.  I settled my case Friday with State Farm for my Ida damage, which means I don’t have my roof replaced yet.   That means the storm is going directly over my house in New Orleans.. and State Farm won’t have to pay for the damage from the water that comes through my roof after it blows my tarp off.

Use two tarps. Foolproof.

Like condoms and hookers.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

most recent update it nudge back towards the tx coast 

Barely.  I trust SCW over your hysterics

https://spacecityweather.com/

The general forecast for Francine has not changed. The storm is expected to continue moving mostly to the north today and tonight, before making a turn to the northeast on Tuesday. This will essentially allow the storm to track along the contour of the Texas coast, but remain far enough offshore to preclude significant and consequential impacts in terms of rains, winds, and storm surge for most of the upper Texas coast.

Houston impacts

Based upon the latest high resolution modeling, we could start to see some rain bands from Francine moving into Galveston Island and other coastal regions by around mid-morning on Tuesday. My sense is that the vast majority of the region along and inland of Highway 59/Interstate 69 is not going to see much precipitation from this storm, probably 1 inch or considerably less.

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Barely.  I trust SCW over your hysterics

https://spacecityweather.com/

The general forecast for Francine has not changed. The storm is expected to continue moving mostly to the north today and tonight, before making a turn to the northeast on Tuesday. This will essentially allow the storm to track along the contour of the Texas coast, but remain far enough offshore to preclude significant and consequential impacts in terms of rains, winds, and storm surge for most of the upper Texas coast.

Houston impacts

Based upon the latest high resolution modeling, we could start to see some rain bands from Francine moving into Galveston Island and other coastal regions by around mid-morning on Tuesday. My sense is that the vast majority of the region along and inland of Highway 59/Interstate 69 is not going to see much precipitation from this storm, probably 1 inch or considerably less.

like i said, a nudge towards the coast 

it’ll hit cat2. sabine pass better get ready for rain 

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

SCW guys were saying Beryl was going to be a nothingburger for the Houston area until it was obvious to everyone that wasn't going to be the case so I wouldn't take their word as bond either.

This storm is going to hit LA in 2 days. Much different scenario than Beryl 

1 hour ago, SarkAfterDark said:

SCW guys were saying Beryl was going to be a nothingburger for the Houston area until it was obvious to everyone that wasn't going to be the case so I wouldn't take their word as bond either.

And they’ve nailed 30 other hurricanes just fine, including the last one that formed in the gulf. 

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Beryl wasn’t that big of a deal. Centerpoint just fucking sucks. 

Yeah, if we had a functional electric company everything should have been back to normal after 3 days as weak as Beryl was. We’d still be without power if an Ike equivalent hurricane had rolled through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There are other parts of Texas other than Houston. And it is a city on, wait for it, the GULF OF MEXICO. A place known for hurricanes.

Sorry you elect officials that take it up the ass by a terrible energy provider, Karen's won't cut down their pine trees, and the Generac you ordered has not been delivered.

You live in a reclaimed swamp in an area that gets a lot of rain.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

for what it’s worth, the weather channel stuck Jim Cantore in Morgan city.   Which tells me the track is further East in their estimation.   Looks like I might get the dirty side of this one.   

I see where a recent dropsonde shows the pressure dropping, and perhaps getting ready for intensification as it leaves the dry air of the Mexican coast behind.  I think you have to move this east of Vermillion Bay.  And rather than speeding up, it looks like it’s taking its time. Unless it starts to boot scoot, that intensity is gonna ramp up a bit if it has more time over warm water before landfall. 

17 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

There are other parts of Texas other than Houston. And it is a city on, wait for it, the GULF OF MEXICO. A place known for hurricanes.

Sorry you elect officials that take it up the ass by a terrible energy provider, Karen's won't cut down their pine trees, and the Generac you ordered has not been delivered.

Now do this, but for Austin...

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

You've chosen to live in a rain starved desert where water levels have been consistently decreasing for decades, and where a heat dome roasts everything every fucking summer. A place known to struggle with water. I'm sorry that you elect officials that don't maximize water conservation and let the local Karen's water their lawns 7 days a week from whatever water source they have available, and you're too cheap to pipe in extra water from wherever. But you live in a dry as fuck heat dome that doesn't get a lot of rain.

Is that how that works, did I do it right?

The fact of the matter is that central texas is drier AF than it was 20 years ago, and Houston and storms are worse than they were 20 years ago thanks to climate change. If you're answer to that is "Then you should fucking move" then that answer applies to yourself, as well.

Just now, huge said:

Now do this, but for Austin...

I went ahead and did it for him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You've chosen to live in a rain starved desert where water levels have been consistently decreasing for decades, and where a heat dome roasts everything every fucking summer. A place known to struggle with water. I'm sorry that you elect officials that don't maximize water conservation and let the local Karen's water their lawns 7 days a week from whatever water source they have available, and you're too cheap to pipe in extra water from wherever. But you live in a dry as fuck heat dome that doesn't get a lot of rain.

Is that how that works, did I do it right?

The fact of the matter is that central texas is drier AF than it was 20 years ago, and Houston and storms are worse than they were 20 years ago thanks to climate change. If you're answer to that is "Then you should fucking move" then that answer applies to yourself, as well.

I went ahead and did it for him. 

Yes, well put. I agree 100%. I think development is fucked up. Relying on ancient aquifers is beyond stupid. Stage 2 would be my norm, and that is not enough TBH, but the Karen's would bitch about brown spots on their St. Augustine and Biff about not being able to wash some dust off his Super Duty or Audi. 

I would rather live in a place with lots of rain than a desert. Have done that for years of my life and never liked it. And I don't mind the heat.

I am just trying to avoid a FUCKING HURRICANE.  Is that a bridge too far?

Also, sorry Cajun brothers and sisters.  But we've had 2 shitpiles already this year.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The Houston vs. Austin wars will be a long and bloody affair.

Austin don't want this smoke...

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The Houston vs. Austin wars will be a long and bloody affair.

The Houston troops will not be as effective, given that so many of them suffer from malaria and dengue fever.  The Austin troops have to stay close to home and the water supply, which limits their ability to do reconnaissance and intelligence gathering. 

At least they can relax in the large area now called ‘The Travis Mud Baths’. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Edited by Jimbaround
Too slow on the jump.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

image.png.1810086b50c83134dd77bfe25fccbea2.png

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I don't know how strong this storm will be but in these days of warming waters, I would always assume a storm will be stronger than anticipated.  Rapid intensification is a bitch.  

Rapid intensification is a given since 2017. Water's too warm.

2 minutes ago, locodos said:

Supposed to be a lot of shear when the storm nears shore... the dry air remnants of a old cold front

That should help, but it sure feels like for the past 7-8 years all of these "10% chance of development" become named storms that usually go from TD to Cat 2+ in a span of like 12 hours as they approach landfall.

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

That should help, but it sure feels like for the past 7-8 years all of these "10% chance of development" become named storms that usually go from TD to Cat 2+ in a span of like 12 hours as they approach landfall.

Yup.

If anything I wonder if this continued track east will minimize the really hot temperatures forecasted in Austin for Saturday.

The overnight hours tonight will be telling - that's when most of the models think Francine will start to really strengthen and drop in pressure. The models have done a bang up job thus far so we'll see what the morning brings. If the models remain right by this time tomorrow, watch out Louisiana.

So Houston sucks because it's too wet, and Austin sucks because it's too dry.  Round Top is ideal?

Narrator:  I recently took my wife to Round Top to go "antiquing".  It is not ideal.  It is nowhere near ideal.  It is the 7th layer of Hell.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So Houston sucks because it's too wet, and Austin sucks because it's too dry.  Round Top is ideal?

Narrator:  I recently took my wife to Round Top to go "antiquing".  It is not ideal.  It is nowhere near ideal.  It is the 7th layer of Hell.

We had a ranch near there. I thought it was pretty nice. But, it was damn hot building fences in the summer. Pretty much Austin heat with Houston humidity mixed with a few sneks in the dewberry patches. As far as antiquing it use to be better before Covid. Now many of the places are open year round but there isn't much worth purchasing. Still, it is a pretty nice time of year to go out and get something to eat at Royer's.