2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So Houston sucks because it's too wet, and Austin sucks because it's too dry.  Round Top is ideal?

Narrator:  I recently took my wife to Round Top to go "antiquing".  It is not ideal.  It is nowhere near ideal.  It is the 7th layer of Hell.

Would the 7th layer of Hell have Royer's? I don't think so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NorthLoop said:

I'm gonna claim New Ulm. 

Saw the Hackemacks there some. I probably saw them more often there than Industry where they lived. There was some restaurant there where old Germans would play the washboard and spoons and stuff. We would go to a golf course there which probably is closed by now.

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The Houston troops will not be as effective, given that so many of them suffer from malaria and dengue fever.  The Austin troops have to stay close to home and the water supply, which limits their ability to do reconnaissance and intelligence gathering. 

At least they can relax in the large area now called ‘The Travis Mud Baths’. 

One problem is that the Austin troops will be limited by the range of their Lime scooters.

Houston troops will be even more limited by the range of their Rascal scooters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, royiv said:

Austin’s average high temperature in the summer months is right around 5 degrees hotter than Houston’s.

Yeah. This summer. But that’s not normal. Houston had insane rainfall and storms and cloud cover this summer. Last summer was also an outlier because Houston had no water or cloud cover and had the hottest summer in like 100 years. 

typically, and I’ll let a weather nerd chime in, Houston is a few degrees hotter than Austin. My research is me anecdotally looking at the weather when I pack for Austin for a weekend. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. This summer. But that’s not normal. Houston had insane rainfall and storms and cloud cover this summer. Last summer was also an outlier because Houston had no water or cloud cover and had the hottest summer in like 100 years. 

typically, and I’ll let a weather nerd chime in, Houston is a few degrees hotter than Austin. My research is me anecdotally looking at the weather when I pack for Austin for a weekend. 

My source is NOAA, which I rely on more than your anecdotal observations.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Rain has begun her in the panhandle of FL. Packed up the back yard earlier and pumped out the pool a bit knowing tomrrow is gonna be rain filled. 

I expect to find new shit in my yard Thursday morning with all the wind. 

Did you check in on Facebook?

35 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Rain has begun her in the panhandle of FL. Packed up the back yard earlier and pumped out the pool a bit knowing tomrrow is gonna be rain filled. 

I expect to find new shit in my yard Thursday morning with all the wind. 

What part of the panhandle are you at?

13 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

It did for an hour or so and then quit.

No shit, small world. 

Really small world. Texas fans are a rare site around here. Mostly Bama fans sprinkled with the Florida schools. 

Yell out "Surly" if you see an old guy in a longhorn hat with an attractive wife at Fubar or Hurricane Wings in my part of the woods. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

you are very close to me (Niceville) still no rain here 

58 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

FWB. Rain/drizzle is from that off shot storms from earlier.

Fairhope holla...flying back from DC to PNS  Tues night to batton down

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, texasdago said:

I don't know how strong this storm will be but in these days of warming waters, I would always assume a storm will be stronger than anticipated.  Rapid intensification is a bitch.  

6 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Rapid intensification is a given since 2017. Water's too warm.

Why don’t we simply take these melting polar ice caps and tow them down to the gulf. Boom problem solved. That’ll be 100 million for my consultation.

I also have a business plan that involves billions of miles of copper tubing in the gulf and an igloo cooler the size of the astrodome. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Having lived two decades in each place, I can assure you that Austin runs several degrees hotter than Houston in the summer and several degrees colder in the winter.

It's also true that 100 in Houston is more uncomfortable than 104 in Austin, but it's not hotter.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Really small world. Texas fans are a rare site around here. Mostly Bama fans sprinkled with the Florida schools. 

Yell out "Surly" if you see an old guy in a longhorn hat with an attractive wife at Fubar or Hurricane Wings in my part of the woods. 

sheeeit,  "Are you from the internet" is the prefered blind introduction, moose outside shudda told ya

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Bevo said:

Saw the Hackemacks there some. I probably saw them more often there than Industry where they lived. There was some restaurant there where old Germans would play the washboard and spoons and stuff. We would go to a golf course there which probably is closed by now.

I think the restaurant you are thinking of was The Parlour.  Ate there a few times when I was young.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I think the restaurant you are thinking of was The Parlour.  Ate there a few times when I was young.

Yeah, you nailed it. Well done. We would also go to the Assman Cafe for lunch in Industry which was a burger joint run by three sisters who were old, old, old. They had great sweat tea there and good burgers. Inside was the typical old German joint where the peeps played checkers and hung out.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, you nailed it. Well done. We would also go to the Assman Cafe for lunch in Industry which was a burger joint run by three sisters who were old, old, old. They had great sweat tea there and good burgers. Inside was the typical old German joint where the peeps played checkers and hung out.

Unless you are thinking of the old Hackemack’s Hoffbrauhaus on FM 109 between Frelsburg and Columbus.  They had live German music and was just outside The Falls. 

18 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

Unless you are thinking of the old Hackemack’s Hoffbrauhaus on FM 109 between Frelsburg and Columbus.  They had live German music and was just outside The Falls. 

Damn, now you are going to make me call my dad. I'm sure we did both. I was in high school and UT and a little after. It looks like the Falls is still around which is surprising.

Thank you, baby Jesus, it did not increase in intensity that much.  

Sitting here in New Orleans with a cocktail watching the news at 5 PM and it’s not that bad.   It should be a couple hours until I get the eyewall bands, but it’s possibly only 40-50  miles an hour gusts.  It’s a big eye and so part of it may hit the New Orleans metro area, and I will briefly get hurricane, force gusts, but most of it should go west of us.  That is a nothing burder as far as hurricanes go.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 9/10/2024 at 3:32 PM, Bevo said:

Hackemack's Hofbrauhaus.  Good friends with Gene Hackemack, he plays accordion in my band sometimes.  What a character, met John Wayne in Vietnam, served on the medical staff for the Apollo moon missions and helped train the astronauts, was in Iran when the Shah was run out and the hostages were taken.  Probably some other things in his past he's never told me about...

He has a video from the 1990s on his facebook page from the Hofbrauhaus with the band playing and all, trying to figure out how to share it or save it so I can post it here, good times.

edit;  I don't know if this link will work or not...

https://www.facebook.com/gene.hackemack/videos/527948418297067

Edited by UTCzech III
  • Hook 'Em 2

I am watching the concerned government leaders of Jefferson Parish tell their constituents not to wash clothes, use the dishwasher - or use any water that can go into the sewer system - which is overloaded and backed up.

A public utility guy just gave the helpful message: “If you know where your sewer clean-out is, and know how to screw off the cap, you can do that because then the sewer water will go into your yard ….and not back up into your house.”

Only the best infrastructure. 

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I don’t want sweat tea from a place called Assman

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, Bevo said:

image.png.d9f05ad9acfb7ee400eaafa0565a83b9.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2