2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Quotes now (south of Houston) are all saying I'm looking at February install if I sign contract now...

Once I saw the news about a potential storm in the gulf, I called and moved up my installation. It will be installed next Friday. 

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

Once I saw the news about a potential storm in the gulf, I called and moved up my installation. It will be installed next Friday. 

Welcome to the club. The peace of mind is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Would have been nice to have today. Our neighborhood power "blipped" every 5-7 minutes for a couple hours until Centerpoint could find the faulty equipment.

Generator won't help with that. It's on about a 7 second delay before it starts and about 10 seconds before it starts delivering power. The blips are too fast and would be damaging to the generator to start and stop so much

Just now, Catpfish said:

Generator won't help with that. It's on about a 7 second delay before it starts and about 10 seconds before it starts delivering power. The blips are too fast and would be damaging to the generator to start and stop so much

yeah, I'd just have flipped to generator until they fixed things.

3 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

You can manually keep it on generator power using the switch at the ATS.

24 minutes ago, royiv said:

Welcome to the club. The peace of mind is awesome.

And this is what finally got me on board. I travel quite a bit now and I know my wife and son would not be able to roll out the generator and connect it.  I also got a 7 year warranty which is nice. 

I understand that. Just curious how you decide when to do that and how long you run it...after a couple of flickers, after 30 minutes of it?  How do you know when the situation has resolved? 

I live in the country so I don't really have neighbors to judge the status of things

12 hours ago, tokamak said:

GFS has a big boy in the gulf in 10 days. Something to keep an eye on.

image.thumb.png.1f91c96110f628fa3a7b587777dfb664.png

Sounds about right, I leave Houston tomorrow and come back on 9/29, looks like it could be a grand old time. I am hoping that some weather system pushes it over to Louisiana or Mississippi, or why not Florida.