2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 hours ago, locodos said:

On the subject of Tallacrappy...   Whistling past the graveyard here...  but I'm fucking sick and tired of hearing from my insurance company how Miami/Broward/Palmbeach is a really high risk place and insurance premiums have to be extra high compared to central and N Florida.  I think we've had 1 cat 1 here and a few grazing shots in 20 years.  Meanwhile North and Central Florida have been catching strays every year.  I'm subsidizing their lower insurance costs and *if* we do catch an Andrew to the face, the insurance companies are gonna fold like the Gata D on 3rd and long.

Sorry, If it's gotta hit Florida it's best for all involved if it hits the Nature Coast.

It's right at 20 years, but Katrina fucked a few things up in Miami/Broward, and we were without power in Kendall for almost three weeks after Wilma rolled through.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

It's right at 20 years, but Katrina fucked a few things up in Miami/Broward, and we were without power in Kendall for almost three weeks after Wilma rolled through.

Both Katrina and Wilma were 2005, August and October respectively (had to look it up).    Katrina did very little damage in my neighborhood, but I was in Grenada when it rolled through.  I flew back early and got to the house and was basically like "I flew back early for this?!"   A few months later Wilma (which I swore at the time was a Cat1) made landfall on the west coast but did take down a bunch of old trees and power poles in SE Florida.   I didn't even pull the accordion shutters closed for that one.  Like you, I was without power for a LONG time, mostly because FPL sucks eggs and I live on the end of a long power run through an old neighborhood chocked full of big old trees.   Thank god it was cool after Wilma.

Dorean could have been a HUGE problem.  I really feel like we ducked that one.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Serious question.  If you had an older relative that you could easily take in a fight, is it legal to literally kidnap them, throw them on back of your Tahoe and drive them to safety.  Would you get in trouble with the law for that?

They’d hate you for the rest of their life, but they’d still be alive at least.

3 hours ago, txduck87 said:

bc4d77d7654cd36c94a439a01d6c49c1.jpg

Just strap'em on the roof properly...

Screenshot_20240926-132137_kindlephoto-3057043.png.3efdb2d4336599d3fb10f2329f5a82c9.png

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

image.png.af0d77ceae8ca3841c4b45de17e02e8a.png

I used to be a Waffle House fanboy.  But post-Covid, the portion sizes have decreased quite a bit (and prices increased expotentially), along with the overall quality. Maybe it's just the locations I've been to.

I've not eaten at one in a over a year, and there's one 2 miles from the house.    

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to be a Waffle House fanboy.  But post-Covid, the portion sizes have decreased quite a bit (and prices increased expotentially), along with the overall quality. Maybe it's just the locations I've been to.

Your arteries and cardiologist both approve of this choice.

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

https://imgur.com/a/t7YiFfk

This is interesting. Someone overlaid the NHC cone track on radar of the storm heading to Florida.   You can see there is a slight wobble to the east.  it will be interesting to see if it wobbles back.  20 or 30 miles east would give the Tampa area a little more wind but a lot more water.

now a 120mph major hurricane

image.thumb.gif.d06db91592caa1b6afdedfe47148a6ef.gif

Wobbles are normal with hurricanes of this size and intensity. The question is whether or not they fundamentally alter the track, particularly at this angle of approach. For most folks in the path of Helene, this has minimal impact on the end result. But for a place like Tallahassee, ending up on the west side of the storm would be immeasurably less impactful than the east side. Still bad to be sure, but not quite as bad as it could be otherwise. This would also impact the western fringe of the surge forecast a bit too. So it’s something to monitor through the day today if you have interests in Tallahassee or along Apalachee Bay.

https://theeyewall.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Florida Sheriff's Office asking fools who stay behind to take a permanent marker and write on your arm or leg their name, DOB, and residence address...

giphy.gif

They say that everyone who survived jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge, the second they were falling said to themselves it was a terrible idea, and they wished they had not done it.   

I am not sure when these idiots will have that epiphany, but there will be one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Could you get any more anti American? Get your ass over there and give it a go
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, I gotta admit, I've never personally witnessed an eyewall to a hurricane, and if the path deviates just a hair to the west, I've got a shot at it.  So I've got that going for me.  In other news, all the milk and bread has been purchased at the store, so apparently, our community is now ready.  Meanwhile, plenty of chain oil is sitting on shelves in stores, should work out great!

• Hook 'Em 2