2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

9 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Well, I gotta admit, I've never personally witnessed an eyewall to a hurricane, and if the path deviates just a hair to the west, I've got a shot at it.  So I've got that going for me.  In other news, all the milk and bread has been purchased at the store, so apparently, our community is now ready.  Meanwhile, plenty of chain oil is sitting on shelves in stores, should work out great!

Buying milk before you inevitably lose power and refrigeration is a choice, I guess. Is all of Florida like Houston now where half the homes have generetors?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, locodos said:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952y1cf1hy4i427ugoccm6

As for the ride it out folks...  I used to think under Cat3 is no reason to get excited.  However, as of about 10yrs ago, I subscribe to the theory that you can just go on vacation somewhere and have a nice time whilst your shit is getting fucked up at home.  Why stress about trees down in the road and possibly getting electrocuted whilst cleaning up the yard, then taking a shower with the hose, sitting in a hot wet house, and eating shitty hurricane supplies?  It's madness and I'll never do it again.

I have 2 uncles that rode out hurricane Rita in Buna in a trailer surrounded by a ton of tall pine trees. They said as scary as it was to ride out the storm, the worst part was the 3 weeks that followed with no electricity or running water in humid weather and surviving on MREs that FEMA brought in. 

Asheville North Carolina is already flooded. I just goodness me. And that’s before the really bad stuff moves in. Sad. 😢 

so the storm chasers are saying it’s now a Cat 4. Jesus.

I don’t have much more to say. Thankfully for yall. Sad 😢 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Asheville North Carolina is already flooded. I just goodness me. And that’s before the really bad stuff moves in. Sad. 😢 

so the storm chasers are saying it’s now a Cat 4. Jesus.

I don’t have much more to say. Thankfully for yall. Sad 😢 

That's wild with Asheville, the full rain hasn't really hit here yet, and I'm about 120 miles south, southwest from there.  We are due to start getting the heavy bands in the next hour or so; so yeah, not even close to the brunt of it there or here.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That's wild with Asheville, the full rain hasn't really hit here yet, and I'm about 120 miles south, southwest from there.  We are due to start getting the heavy bands in the next hour or so; so yeah, not even close to the brunt of it there or here.  

Stay safe! 💙

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Serious question.  If you had an older relative that you could easily take in a fight, is it legal to literally kidnap them, throw them on back of your Tahoe and drive them to safety.  Would you get in trouble with the law for that?

They’d hate you for the rest of their life, but they’d still be alive at least.

Does this have anything to do with the hurricane?  Regardless of the situation, as long as you can easily convince the cops that grandpa is having another “episode” they usually try to stay out of those situations.

If you toss in a “hey, I know it’s about 70 miles from here, but would you mind taking him back to the nursing home? Or is that out of your jurisdiction and I’m responsible for getting him back there?”

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Stay safe! 💙

Same to all, and I hope everyone impacted just gets thru this alive.  Not worried, for us, a couple of years ago I had to take down all the trees near my house for a number of reasons.  All I have are Japanese Maple and Cherry Blossoms, now my neighbors on the other hand, potential for yikes. I do have my saws gassed up and ready to help people tomorrow in the aftermath.  

• Hook 'Em 3

My pool in Atlanta nearly overflowed and the storm hasn’t even gotten here yet. We had big unrelated storms that have saturated everything which means a lot of trees are going down.

The forecast says it will mostly be gone by noon tomorrow.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Well, I gotta admit, I've never personally witnessed an eyewall to a hurricane, and if the path deviates just a hair to the west, I've got a shot at it.  So I've got that going for me.  In other news, all the milk and bread has been purchased at the store, so apparently, our community is now ready.  Meanwhile, plenty of chain oil is sitting on shelves in stores, should work out great!

It's really eerie. The sky turns this greenish color and everything goes still and quiet. I don't wish upon you the storm you have to get through to get into the eye. Stay safe.

46 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I have 2 uncles that rode out hurricane Rita in Buna in a trailer surrounded by a ton of tall pine trees. They said as scary as it was to ride out the storm, the worst part was the 3 weeks that followed with no electricity or running water in humid weather and surviving on MREs that FEMA brought in. 

My aunt and uncle insisted on driving my grandparents to their lake house in Toledo Bend. My parents took my other grandma and drove the 21 hours it took to get from Groves to Austin. Aunt, uncle, and grandparents were stuck up there 3-ish weeks, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, austingirl said:

It's really eerie. The sky turns this greenish color and everything goes still and quiet. I don't wish upon you the storm you have to get through to get into the eye. Stay safe.

My aunt and uncle insisted on driving my grandparents to their lake house in Toledo Bend. My parents took my other grandma and drove the 21 hours it took to get from Groves to Austin. Aunt, uncle, and grandparents were stuck up there 3-ish weeks, too.

We were headed to Toledo bend too from brazoria county, but after 15 hours and still not to lufkin we said fuck it and drove home. Where of course there was some rain but nothing bad, as we watched Rita jog right and plow over the area. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

My pool in Atlanta nearly overflowed and the storm hasn’t even gotten here yet. We had big unrelated storms that have saturated everything which means a lot of trees are going down.

The forecast says it will mostly be gone by noon tomorrow.

My pool is overflowed, which considering how many times I've had to fill it this year I feel ok about.  First Oak I know of down, had a tenants sil have it go thru their house, just went and took them to the tenant's house.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Don't care about that learjet cowboy, but these badasses...

image.thumb.png.09131efe4564d0a5699c3df97904550f.png

One of the Hurricane Hunter planes just had mechanical issues and was stuck in the EYE of Helene for quite awhile...

Damn what a ride that was...  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Buddy called from in between Gainesville and Tallahassee. Has about 10 acres. Already a few pines down.

Pines are bad, but I'm really concerned about the water oaks, given the drought their root balls aren't as stable, combine that with quick ground saturation and heavy wind... no bueno.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

One of the Hurricane Hunter planes just had mechanical issues and was stuck in the EYE of Helene for quite awhile...

Damn what a ride that was...  

And now they are going back thru the EYE to collect more data... said the technical difficulties encountered in plane are fixed.

Freakin' Badasses !!!  

image.png

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

And now they are going back thru the EYE to collect more data... said the technical difficulties encountered in plane is fixed.

Freakin' Badasses !!!  

image.png

Talk about dedication, I'd have said no thanks to doing it to begin with.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

And now they are going back thru the EYE to collect more data... said the technical difficulties encountered in plane are fixed.

Freakin' Badasses !!!  

image.png

Fuck... they are looping in the damn EYE again.  Same plane having issues.

Edit:  Pilot managed a strong U-turn back thru and exited the EYE.  Hopefully this guy is done... 😂😂😂😂😎

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

What are you tracking them with?

One of the "Weather Guys" on Ryan Hall Y'all YouTube is live monitoring communication and data from Hurricane Hunter planes thru his system and providing live updates...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1