2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

I'd be willing to bet there were a great many folks who didn't prepare because they felt they were so far inland it wasn't necessary.  60 plus is a large senseless number of deaths, especially in the day and age of instant information.  There is no reason not to be informed.  This is a tough lesson to learn, but I'd bet next time a large storm is forecast to go inland more people will take notice of the cone of death and its predicted path.  We still have 2 months to go with potential areas of disturbed weather that have high chances of development.  Make a plan and be ready.  Best of luck to those in the path.  

Kinda feel a bit like I did after Katrina....this is one of the reasons we have a fucking military.  Airlift the fuck out of shit.  If that means staging fucking Blackhawk wings out of Oregon in forward areas near NC and TN, then let's fucking do it.  Drop people in, prep landing sites, and commence the serious evac and support operations that need to be done.

I recall that Coast Guard rescue crews working as the water was still high and people were in peril -- they worked beyond what the regulations permitted.  They were told they had to take a break.  They just fucking didn't.  They took the initiative and saved lives.  We have that capability.  I remain disappointed that we don't do a better job of coordinating and utilizing that capability.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Dumb question amnesty as I have not been following these events. Is this flooding from failure of dams or simply torrential rains? And if from dams is it from overtopping? 

Asheville appears to be 270 miles or so from the coast. That’s like DFW to Galveston. Are we looking at something like that if one of these things tracks up I45?

22 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Dumb question amnesty as I have not been following these events. Is this flooding from failure of dams or simply torrential rains? And if from dams is it from overtopping? 

Asheville appears to be 270 miles or so from the coast. That’s like DFW to Galveston. Are we looking at something like that if one of these things tracks up I45?

Torrential rains.  Sort of a worst case possible scenario, dry area gets 10 inches of rain from unrelated storm system, followed immediately by a hurricane dropping another 20 inches of rain.  Combine that with the geography of the area, no bueno.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Here in the Clemson area, we have a lot of trees down on power lines. Friends in Highlands, NC came down the mountain today, which was a relief. The loss of cell towers in the storm is a huge problem. News can’t get in or out. No bodies in trees, but it sounds horrible up there in the southern Appalachians. Asheville is a gem of a small city and looks devastated. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Here in the Clemson area, we have a lot of trees down on power lines. Friends in Highlands, NC came down the mountain today, which was a relief. The loss of cell towers in the storm is a huge problem. News can’t get in or out. No bodies in trees, but it sounds horrible up there in the southern Appalachians. Asheville is a gem of a small city and looks devastated. 

The best way I can think of at the moment, beyond the usual monetary donations, is to encourage those that have never been to Asheville to visit it soon.  Tourism dollars will go a long way.  Obviously, it might be a while before that is possible, but go, spend money have fun.  It's been a while for me, I actually think that last time I was there was about 5 years ago, and I shit you not I was doing some work for an alpaca wool processing place.  Go to the Biltmore, stay a night or two, etc.  They have great dining, and arts community that is cool and the scenery is great.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I'd be willing to bet there were a great many folks who didn't prepare because they felt they were so far inland it wasn't necessary.  60 plus is a large senseless number of deaths, especially in the day and age of instant information.  There is no reason not to be informed.  This is a tough lesson to learn, but I'd bet next time a large storm is forecast to go inland more people will take notice of the cone of death and its predicted path.  We still have 2 months to go with potential areas of disturbed weather that have high chances of development.  Make a plan and be ready.  Best of luck to those in the path.  

The path shifted significantly east once it made landfall which put the worst of the rain in the exact wrong place. I’m not sure there was any significant warning for some of those communities. I could have easily missed it, but I don’t remember seeing evacuation notices for Asheville for instance. Most of these communities have been through plenty of inland hurricanes paths, this one was a lot different. Wind and tornados are usually the concern, not the rain levels experienced.

Edited by Brew

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I'm going to guess Lowndes County (Valdosta area) or vicinity, that area was really messed up, and oddly very little reported about it, even locally in Atlanta. 

Could also be the Augusta area, between the wind/rain and the Savannah River flooding they took a beating too it sounds like. The East side of this particular storm was a bitch. 

As far as the water level issues, you just had a major system come through and dump a lot of rain the 16/17 of September. It pushed north through VA so that water was still flowing when this system came through.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Are we looking at something like that if one of these things tracks up I45?

Dont worry, Im sure those Aggies that spent hundreds of millions of dollars rerouting the Trinity River in Fort Worth in the name of creating sweet real estate to develop did a great job

Edited by cmontexas
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

FUUUUUUCK. 

I pray 🤲  if it becomes a formidable hurricane the east side is far far away from doing damage in NC and TN and KY. FUUUUUUCK! 

Seems like you aren't seeing the opportunity to dump some bodies in NC and TN rivers in the lead up. 

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

The best way I can think of at the moment, beyond the usual monetary donations, is to encourage those that have never been to Asheville to visit it soon.  Tourism dollars will go a long way.  Obviously, it might be a while before that is possible, but go, spend money have fun.  It's been a while for me, I actually think that last time I was there was about 5 years ago, and I shit you not I was doing some work for an alpaca wool processing place.  Go to the Biltmore, stay a night or two, etc.  They have great dining, and arts community that is cool and the scenery is great.  

I'd wait a bit until they clean up. I can't imagine dealing with tourists while trying to put lives back together 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Kinda feel a bit like I did after Katrina....this is one of the reasons we have a fucking military.  Airlift the fuck out of shit.  If that means staging fucking Blackhawk wings out of Oregon in forward areas near NC and TN, then let's fucking do it.  Drop people in, prep landing sites, and commence the serious evac and support operations that need to be done.

I recall that Coast Guard rescue crews working as the water was still high and people were in peril -- they worked beyond what the regulations permitted.  They were told they had to take a break.  They just fucking didn't.  They took the initiative and saved lives.  We have that capability.  I remain disappointed that we don't do a better job of coordinating and utilizing that capability.

Oh they are moving. This region has 4 of the largest Army bases in the US near it, and does not look like they were really impacted. Fort Liberty (Bragg) is home to the 82nd Airborne. Benning in Georgia has lots of trucks. Campbell in West KY has the US Army Air Assault units. They got a few helicopters. Then add the big boy. Fort Rucker, Georgia. Home of Army Aviation. Add to that Strategic Air Command (Big fucking planes that can drop shit) are all over the region. issue with them is can they 1- land, 2- offload and move, and 3- if they air drop  where and to who.

The rule with aircraft is you don't move unless it is safe for crew. But they will move.

Problem is FEMA is probably preoccupied with the coast since that is where they were planning for. The regions HQ is in Atlanta. It will take 72=96 hours to spin up the other supporting regions (East Coast and Mid West) to respond. But they are. We are already getting the alerts and shit for responders and equipment.

And come on, you get disappointment often. On this one it is a bit premature. No country on the earth responds better. We just expect perfection during a really hard thing. I mean, guess we can clean it up so the lawyers can get in.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Oh they are moving. This region has 4 of the largest Army bases in the US near it, and does not look like they were really impacted. Fort Liberty (Bragg) is home to the 82nd Airborne. Benning in Georgia has lots of trucks. Campbell in West KY has the US Army Air Assault units. They got a few helicopters. Then add the big boy. Fort Rucker, Georgia. Home of Army Aviation. Add to that Strategic Air Command (Big fucking planes that can drop shit) are all over the region. issue with them is can they 1- land, 2- offload and move, and 3- if they air drop  where and to who.

The rule with aircraft is you don't move unless it is safe for crew. But they will move.

Problem is FEMA is probably preoccupied with the coast since that is where they were planning for. The regions HQ is in Atlanta. It will take 72=96 hours to spin up the other supporting regions (Eat Coast and Mid West) to respond. But they are. We are already getting the alerts and shit for responders and equipment.

And come on, you get disappointment often. On this one it is a bit premature. No country on the earth responds better. We just expect perfection during a really hard thing. I mean, guess we can clean it up so the lawyers can get in.

They have been flying since Friday. Blackhawks were used in the hospital rescue and at least the TN National Guard has had helicopters up all weekend in search and rescue, delivering supplies, and assisting with reconnaissance. I would assume NC has as well but I’m only going off of what I’ve heard from family that are in the TN Guard. They have also had multiple units providing ground assistance including the swift water rescue team and engineering teams. 

Edited by Brew

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

They have been flying since Friday. Blackhawks were used in the hospital rescue and at least the TN National Guard has had helicopters up all weekend in search and rescue, delivering supplies, and assisting with reconnaissance. I would assume NC has as well but I’m only going off of what I’ve heard from family that are in the TN Guard. They have also had multiple units providing ground assistance including the swift water rescue team and engineering teams. 

Yep, for sure the Guard is moving and reciprocal agreements from neighboring states should start tomorrow. One reason State Guards sometimes are not fully activated is they are the ones impacted.

Hey Joe, you need to deploy. OK, Where Sarge? Well we are heading into such and such neighborhood. Well shit sarge, I am already there.

I was aiming at the thought big DOD does not do shit. Brisket wants the Kitty Hawk to be refurbished and sail up the Pigeon River tomorrow. He saw this movie on a flight.

image.jpeg.d49071dae2b73d4d6b0f94ab2b8ee584.jpeg

• Like 1

I just heard on a weather channel that there are more than 1000 people not accounted for because no one can get in the area. Hopefully they will soon be able to contact their families and that the majority are safe. 

While not the single most pressing issue, there is going to be a crisis of pets separated from their owners.  Many who aren’t chipped.  This is sure to overwhelm those animal shelters that survived.  Get in touch with some of the animal rescue people now and agree to adopt one of those poor pets before the crisis results in some being euthanized out of a lack of resources and adopters. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

@BurntEyes, others in the area. Keep us posted please on what you hear is needed or who we can help.

Local is always best.

Most of the issues are to the east of me. Last I heard water and the more general after "tornadoes" or hurricane items are needed. Mostly they are working to clear things out but I will put a link below on needs.

Help Link

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Most of the issues are to the east of me. Last I heard water and the more general after "tornadoes" or hurricane items are needed. Mostly they are working to clear things out but I will put a link below on needs.

Help Link

So we cannot all come and make your place a command center?

Thanks for the link.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Problem is FEMA is probably preoccupied with the coast since that is where they were planning for. The regions HQ is in Atlanta. It will take 72=96 hours to spin up the other supporting regions (East Coast and Mid West) to respond. But they are. We are already getting the alerts and shit for responders and equipment.

Rucker is in Alabama, homes.

11 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

While these people were probably at the forefront of those chiming in after Katrina that people like me - who live on the gulf coast - should move rather than waste tax dollars on recovery after recovery…..we must help these people however we can and no matter how much it costs.  Lots of Americans had literally no idea how climate change could affect them, sitting 100s and 100s of miles away from any gulf or ocean. 

It is beyond sad that they are getting educated in this fashion.

🙄

Wow, you make a really great point except literally this exact same thing happened in 1916. 

https://wgme.com/news/nation-world/national-weather-service-helene-event-being-compared-to-historic-flood-of-1916-asheville-hurricane-catastrophic-heavy-rain-evacuate

Back to back hurricanes. 26 inches of rain. Massive flooding. 50 died. 

11 hours ago, heso said:

They aren’t. 

I know, right?

If they didn’t learn the lesson of climate change the first time in 1916, what makes anyone think it will sink in this time?

• Fuck You 11

9 minutes ago, Conqueeftador said:

🙄

Wow, you make a really great point except literally this exact same thing happened in 1916. 

https://wgme.com/news/nation-world/national-weather-service-helene-event-being-compared-to-historic-flood-of-1916-asheville-hurricane-catastrophic-heavy-rain-evacuate

Back to back hurricanes. 26 inches of rain. Massive flooding. 50 died. 

I know, right?

If they didn’t learn the lesson of climate change the first time in 1916, what makes anyone think it will sink in this time?

Oh look idiots are posting again

r/asheville - French broad breaks over 100 year record high

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

These insane rain events are becoming more common.  Wants a local example?  Wimberley got something like a foot of rain in 4-6 hours in 2015 when the Blanco took houses off of their foundation.  That same storm rolled on down to Houston and dumped 5" of rain in one hour on our house.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t understand any criticism of the govt especially fema. I don’t believe FEMA is structured nor mandated to prevent floods or stop disasters. They’re there for disaster recovery. These cities are in the middle of the disaster and fema will assist afterwards. As for rescues isn’t that more about police, sheriff or nationals/state guard?

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t understand any criticism of the govt especially fema. I don’t believe FEMA is structured nor mandated to prevent floods or stop disasters. They’re there for disaster recovery. These cities are in the middle of the disaster and fema will assist afterwards. As for rescues isn’t that more about police, sheriff or nationals/state guard?

It's just people bitching to bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Whether climate change is making these storms stronger or it's just a coincidence, we need to adjust our infrastructure and emergency planning to allow for higher intensity storms and more rain. Spoiler it is climate change but I know that triggers some.

Unfortunately stronger infrastructure or more standby assistance costs money which no one wants to fund.

• Hook 'Em 5

FEMA resources, consisting of but not limited to various state task forces from Texas, NY, CA, CO and others were mobilized last Monday. They are all encompassing units that do search, rescue, recovery, structural collapse and assessment, and logistics and are capable of complete self sufficiency for up to 14 days without resupply. Anyone claiming FEMA is delayed or incompetent in their response to this is misinformed.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Whether climate change is making these storms stronger or it's just a coincidence, we need to adjust our infrastructure and emergency planning to allow for higher intensity storms and more rain. Spoiler it is climate change but I know that triggers some.

Unfortunately stronger infrastructure or more standby assistance costs money which no one wants to fund.

Worked with a team to make reaction better in the first 24 hours for Houston. City loved the idea, asked how much and said nah, maybe if the Feds will pay for it.

I still have all the plans if anyone is listening. Will kick in 3.50 to the tailgate fund.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Worked with a team to make reaction better in the first 24 hours for Houston. City loved the idea, asked how much and said nah, maybe if the Feds will pay for it.

I still have all the plans if anyone is listening. Will kick in 3.50 to the tailgate fund.

Remember when the city of Houston tried to set rules on building in floodplains and the developers lost their minds?  Yeah... they'd rather build floodable/destroyable cheap houses and then rebuild.  In the end, it costs less to build well.    

• Hook 'Em 3

If you haven't seen these...Damn.

Devastating aftermath of Hurricane Helene captured in tragic photos (msn.com)

Bad time for a port strike as the demand for materials will be fierce.  

How many ATM machines are missing?  How bad will the stench be after that food starts going bad?

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1