2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Darned shame we weather engineered that storm, which is clearly the only logical explanation for why a tropical storm would hit the west coast of Florida, which has never happened before except for the dozens of times that it's happened.

We were so focused on can we do it, we didn't consider the question of should we do it.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

At work now in Naples, house is far enough inland that storm surge won't be an issue. Condo in St Pete is on 2nd floor overlooking Boca Ciega Bay, first floor was good during Helene so not expecting any water issues from Milton. 

Set a ring camera up over the bay with battery backup so will try to post updates:

8:45 Monday nice and calm

image.thumb.png.59a73f8251bbc140bc41f2e6b2466ced.png

if your wife is hot, she can evacuate to my place 

stay safe man 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

is this thing going to continue intensifying? this is pretty wild. 

it's already a 5 the question is does it hit as a 5

weather channel shows a subtropical jet stream running west to east parallel to the gulf coast from houston to jacksonville and supposedly this is 1) contributing to the strengthening by siphoning upper level energy which enables an increase in spin velocity and therefore increases it's ability to 'eat' low-level energy off the water and 2) if it tracks north the upper level shear will weaken it as it hits the coast but by how much

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Getting some very strong Katrina Superdome and post Katrina Astrodome vibes, guess at least it's meant for National Guard and Line workers and not refugees:

ive been to about 9 games there, that place isn’t holding in a cat 4/5 hurricane 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

It's been 20 years since I went to the Dali museum, I remember it being fairly inland in St. Pete.  I hope it comes thru ok.  

it’s on the bay side , but i goto astro games in st pees juat  to spend an afternoon there

and grab a sandwich 🥰

I would just like to report in that I have already become a victim of Hurricane Milton.   I made the mistake of trying to swing by Costco at lunch...  I didn't really think about the storm impact till I saw the mile long line for gas. 

arrested-development-season1.gif

In Broward (outside of the cone of death) Costco is OUT of water.  I was there to pick up a set of bedsheets, some wine and a few snacks.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMG_3282.jpeg

IMG_3283.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

Was just about to post that I haven't actually been to a game at the Trop, but have been to that area of St Pete nearby many times including Bodega and Green Bench and really hope nothing too terrible happens to them. But yeah from the outside the Trop looks like it might fall down in a stiff breeze let alone a strong hurricane...

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Was just about to post that I haven't actually been to a game at the Trop, but have been to that area of St Pete nearby may times including Bodega and Green Bench and really hope nothing too terrible happens to them. But yeah from the outside the Trop looks like it might fall down in a stiff breeze let alone a strong hurricane...

greenbench is damn crowded after the games. great spot 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

914mb on the last pass. This thing is dropping 10mb per pass. By the time the NOAA plane arrives on station to releive the Air Force flight, this thing could be sub 900.

what happens if it gets to record levels? It's just going to level florida?

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

what happens if it gets to record levels? It's just going to level florida?

12 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Screenshot2024-10-07at12_22_48PM.thumb.png.2c439861f6af8830ac728f656effd376.png

I'll just let this chart speak for itself.

I should mention, that the models have this weakening before landfall. However, while that is weakening in wind speeds, the surge will not be affected. 

Well, I'm pretty spry at the moment, but at this point there are any number of reasons we're losing interest, perhaps topped by "Floridians".  We like water and beaches but even my wife is starting to think a nice smaller house in New Mexico (with a really nice pool) may be closer to ideal.
Basically, we're sick of assholes and weather.

So, you shared your plan with Surly? At least you will get away from the weather! Thank you neighbor! /s