2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Almost my entire extended family (my side and my wife's) is in the Tampa area right now (Wesley Chapel and Zephyrhills). They're out of the storm surge area, but my nephew has been in the hospital downtown for the better part of the month.  Luckily they're planning on releasing him tomorrow, God willing.  
Funny enough, my father is actually here with us in MN though, having flown in- very reluctantly- yesterday as has been planned for a few months.  My mom convinced him to go- I think she'll be less stressed without him.  Poor dude is nervous as hell though, and I don't blame him.  We'll try to keep him distracted.  He's supposed to go back with my son on Friday, but I'm guessing that's 50/50 at best.

He ain’t gonna want to go back with how perfect our weather is forecasted to be the next 10 days

30 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Isn't there some money on St Armand's Island and along the coast in Sarasota?  Looks like that area gonna get fucking destroyed.  

Yes and every time I'm in that area (likely the poorest person within miles) St Aramands, Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, etc I'm amazed at how they just built a ton of houses on the ground, no stilts or elevation or nothing, on a low-lying barrier islands... I guess it makes sense when they haven't had a major Hurricane since 1921 but still. Shits fucked

• Rage+1 1

The condo building where we stay on Treasure Island / St. Pete beach every year was fucked by Helene.   All the units are fine as they are on the high up second floor or higher, but the pool equipment, elevators, offices, mechanics, etc.  were pretty much destroyed by the Helene surge.   And now Milton is headed there.   Sucks.  Family has been going there for 40+ years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yes and every time I'm in that area (likely the poorest person within miles) St Aramands, Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, etc I'm amazed at how they just built a ton of houses on the ground, no stilts or elevation or nothing, on a low-lying barrier islands... I guess it makes sense when they haven't had a major Hurricane since 1921 but still. Shits fucked

Hulk Hogan and the rest of those folks have the cash to rebuild or bail.

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

At this point, I have no idea why anyone would consider moving there for retirement when they're old and maybe not spry enough to clean up all the shit from hurricanes, so I wouldn't want to encourage you. That said, about a dozen years ago, I did quite a bit of work in Lake County just west of Orlando and was surprised to see there were some actual hills around there. So, check out the Tavares / Mt. Dora area.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

hopefully just the villages 

3 hours ago, locodos said:

Why do you hate golf carts and STDs?

Hey man, there are plenty of us in our 40s and 50s who are just 5-10 years and a divorce away from banging our way through The Villages in our later years.

Rick And Morty Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Florida man: "AIN'T NO GUBMINT GONNA MAKE ME LEAVE MY HOUSE!"

Also Florida man, 3 days from now: "WHERE IS THE GUBMINT?!  I NEED RESCUE AND FOOD AND WATER AND A NICE PLACE TO STAY!"

Like.  Clockwork.

I did a project in Plant City, FL a couple years ago. I arrived the first time at night and went to a convenience store at around 1 AM. Florida man x 10 was there in full effect. Carnie was the likely occupation of the patrons.

Questionable decision making was the theme of the night.

It was eye opening.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I did a project in Plant City, FL a couple years ago. I arrived the first time at night and went to a convenience store at around 1 AM. Florida man x 10 was there in full effect. Carnie was the likely occupation of the patrons.

It was eye opening.

Ima stop you right there.  I am so sorry

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, GenXer said:

It was eye opening.

"Florida Man" is someone who "South Louisiana Man" (think Sulphur, or Morgan City) looks at and says "man....that's some fucked up shit."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, locodos said:

Ima stop you right there.  I am so sorry

I made it out alive. Barely.

My advice for next time is to pack camouflage to blend in with the locals: neon tank top, $2 plastic sandals, elastic waist band shorts, fake mullet, and an energy drink.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GenXer said:

I made it out alive. Barely.

My advice for next time is to pack camouflage to blend in with the locals: neon tank top, $2 plastic sandals, elastic waist band shorts, fake mullet, and an energy drink.

What if my mullet is real, and spectacular?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, GenXer said:

It was eye opening.

How was the sex?

• Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Can someone explain the difference between damage done by wind speed and that done by mb atmospheric pressure?

When the pressure drops, the internal energy or 'che' of an object is no longer in homeostasis and begins to tear the object apart.   Science class was a very long time ago, so I amy have a few details wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

When the pressure drops, the internal energy or 'che' of an object is no longer in homeostasis and begins to tear the object apart.   Science class was a very long time ago, so I amy have a few details wrong. 

Now, can someone explain what the fuck this means?

:)

• Hook 'Em 1

One of my best friends lives just north of the manatee river. Asked him if he’s staying or going. “Staying. We’re above where any storm surge can get to. As long as the roof stays on we’re good.”

His wife’s business in Bradenton might end up under water. The house he lived in a couple years ago in palmetto will almost certainly be under water if the current track holds. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1