Milton 2024 - 897 mb
Allen 1979 - 899 mb
Camille 1969 - 900 mb
Katrina 2005 - 902 mb

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Totally normal weather behavior …

The boy just moved to Mainz for the academic year.  I got to laughingly send him a "so, prepare your anus for a tropical storm" text.  He asks WTF, then looks up the weather.  Well, well, well.  I suspect the euros won't know what to do, and will flip their shit.

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

183 knots at the Surface. (211 mph). Sustained.

image.gif.b921578977d1aaa50eb1cfd37c13eb2c.gif

Wait...where are you getting that.  211 mph winds?  For real?  Source?

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy just moved to Mainz for the academic year.  I got to laughingly send him a "so, prepare your anus for a tropical storm" text.  He asks WTF, then looks up the weather.  Well, well, well.  I suspect the euros won't know what to do, and will flip their shit.

image.thumb.png.809b97c4de9baaac0ebf808d2c9d66b3.png

the mb reading is how high above the ground the measurement is, the kt is the measured wind speed in knots

Edited by Zonahorn

18 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Sub 900

5th lowest on record in the Atlantic.

Wilma 2005 - 882 mb
Gilbert 1988 - 888 mb
"Labor Day" 1935 - 892 mb
Rita 2005 - 895 mb
Milton 2024 - 897 mb
Allen 1979 - 899 mb
Camille 1969 - 900 mb
Katrina 2005 - 902 mb

It's not in the Atlantic

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Zona got it.

also: 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4f86498746b61d1d93134f79c265b59a.jpg

I was a toddler when we lost our home to Hurricane Camille.

Unreal night I still remember even though I wasn’t even two yet.

Luckily my Maw Maw lived in higher area and we got there in the middle of the night in Mississippi.

You don’t “ride these out.” Get out now if you’re remotely close to any of these areas.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes it is -- that means "the Atlantic basin."  For US hurricane purposes, we have Atlantic hurricanes, and Pacific hurricanes.  Gulf hurricanes are Atlantic hurricanes.

Wow.  In perhaps 12+ years on this and the other site, this is the first post in which we are in agreement.  Bravo.

I don't recall ever seeing TWO hurricane Hunter planes in the storm at the same time.  Both the AirForce plane and the NOAA plane are zig-zagging in the storm right now.

NOAA2 Mission #10 into MILTON
Type: Low-level Reconnaissance  |  Status: In Storm
As of 23:34 UTC Oct 07, 2024:

Aircraft Position: 21.78°N 90.48°W
Bearing: 0° at 240 kt
Altitude: 1783 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 150 kt at 280°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: 916.9 mb

AF302 Mission #11 into MILTON
As of 23:32 UTC Oct 07, 2024:

Aircraft Position: 22.30°N 91.12°W
Bearing: 135° at 164 kt
Altitude: 3078 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 46 kt at 22°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: 995.7 mb

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Camille caused 12 billion in damage in today's $.   If Milton stays the course and is a direct hit to Tampa, the damage will be close to 20 times that.

We've built a lot of shit and added a lot more people to this country in the past 55 years.

• Hook 'Em 4

Double Maxima confirmed by Teal 71. EWRC inbound, so we likely missed peak earlier this afternoon. However, we could have second peak tomorrow afternoon when Milton reaches the loop current. Probably wont make another run sub 900, but who the fuck knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Camille caused 12 billion in damage in today's $.   If Milton stays the course and is a direct hit to Tampa, the damage will be close to 20 times that.

My house didn’t care….but yes…this will be unreal if it plays out.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

More vulnerable than New Orleans? Interesting

Dude, we have billions of dollars of corp of engineers-created high walls around our little burg.    We’ll be like Fallout - with Vault NO survivors having better things to eat.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Most houses next to the water would be gone if that track holds.  Whatever the wind doesn't get, the storm surge will just knock off of their foundations.

yeah, winds 160+ is going to blow many many roofs off, the entire building following it down the street 

My brother has a town home on Sand Key.  The island just south of Clearwater Beach.  He is still cleaning up from the storm a few weeks ago that brought 4 feet of water into his lower level (garage and office).  He just finished ripping the drywall out and now this storm is about to hit.  He is evacuating off the island to my nephews house who live farther inland and a little north of Tampa.  Scary stuff as I was in Hurricane Andrew years ago in South Florida and don’t with that shit on anybody.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Dying in storm like this has to be one of the worst ways to go right? You’d know you fucked up real good by not leaving for a while before the end wouldn’t you? 

Not if you did a bunch of bath salts and then shot yourself in the face.  And let's be real, we ARE talking about Florida Man here

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Dying in storm like this has to be one of the worst ways to go right? You’d know you fucked up real good by not leaving for a while before the end wouldn’t you? 

Not necessarily, I mean you could get decapitated by flying debris, or knocked out by debris and drown.  But yeah, beyond that its probably drowning and having to embrace that terror, or being crushed by debris and suffocating, or exposure, or hypothermia, .....

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

My brother has a town home on Sand Key.  The island just south of Clearwater Beach.  He is still cleaning up from the storm a few weeks ago that brought 4 feet of water into his lower level (garage and office).  He just finished ripping the drywall out and now this storm is about to hit.  He is evacuating off the island to my nephews house who live farther inland and a little north of Tampa.  Scary stuff as I was in Hurricane Andrew years ago in South Florida and don’t with that shit on anybody.  

I think these storms show that a beach house should use steel or ICF construction and maybe move away from drywall and towards a breathable yet water resistant wall covering with the first floor above most storm surges. And use tile instead of wood or carpet. It wouldn’t be perfect but would be an improvement.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I don't recall ever seeing TWO hurricane Hunter planes in the storm at the same time.  Both the AirForce plane and the NOAA plane are zig-zagging in the storm right now.

NOAA2 Mission #10 into MILTON
As of 23:34 UTC Oct 07, 2024:

Aircraft Position: 21.78°N 90.48°W
Bearing: 0° at 240 kt
Altitude: 1783 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 150 kt at 280°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: 916.9 mb

AF302 Mission #11 into MILTON
As of 23:32 UTC Oct 07, 2024:

Aircraft Position: 22.30°N 91.12°W
Bearing: 135° at 164 kt
Altitude: 3078 gpm
Peak 10-second Wind: 46 kt at 22°
Extrapolated Sea-level Pressure: 995.7 mb

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/

That seems incredibly dangerous to me

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think these storms show that a beach house should use steel or ICF construction and maybe move away from drywall and towards a breathable yet water resistant wall covering with the first floor above most storm surges. And use tile instead of wood or carpet. It wouldn’t be perfect but would be an improvement.

I am familiar with breathable membranes for weatherproofing, but to my knowledge there really isn't a finish material that does this.  I've read a few articles on design ideas for homes in hurricane zones (I think some concepts have even been built), most all of them that I recall were reinforced concrete domes, with the windows being above storm surge height (the general idea being that with the curvature of the doom you would still get ample natural light).  The obvious downside of this is the cost, combined with the subjective notion that it's just unsightly.  

With regular old steel, including in wall cavities one of the concerns would be exposure to salt water and material degradation.  Encased in concrete, it's a different story though.  

The point sure stands though, if people are intent on living in these areas, which it sure appears that they are, we are going to have to rethink how we do this.  

• Hook 'Em 1

PM EDT: This is nothing short of astronomical. I am at a loss for words to meteorologically describe you the storms small eye and intensity. 897mb pressure with 180 MPH max sustained winds and gusts 200+ MPH. This is now the 4th strongest hurricane ever recorded by pressure on this side of the world. The eye is TINY at nearly 3.8 miles wide. This hurricane is nearing the mathematical limit of what Earth's atmosphere over this ocean water can produce.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

I am familiar with breathable membranes for weatherproofing, but to my knowledge there really isn't a finish material that does this.  I've read a few articles on design ideas for homes in hurricane zones (I think some concepts have even been built), most all of them that I recall were reinforced concrete domes, with the windows being above storm surge height (the general idea being that with the curvature of the doom you would still get ample natural light).  The obvious downside of this is the cost, combined with the subjective notion that it's just unsightly.  

With regular old steel, including in wall cavities one of the concerns would be exposure to salt water and material degradation.  Encased in concrete, it's a different story though.  

The point sure stands though, if people are intent on living in these areas, which it sure appears that they are, we are going to have to rethink how we do this.  

yeah, I’m no expert as I am building in the mountains. The interior finish out would be difficult. I’ve seen some pretty fiber cement board that would work. But if every house was done that way, it would make for pretty bland interiors. And you bring up a good point on steel framing but most of the steel framing companies are on the gulf coast because of the claim of hurricane resistance. I’m on vacation in Maine and only brought my phone, but I’m curious what the manufacturers are saying about saltwater. 

Fuck. We stayed at a great little VRBO on longboat key last summer and loved it. Was driving around on the north end and saw a great little place that was for sale and was thinking about making an offer and then 16 yo son who is a fishing fanatic said don’t do it this island won’t be here in 10 years.

Shit he was way too optimistic 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

This makes me so sad. I wish we could listen to scientists and we coulda acted sooner. The destruction coming is going to bring so much stress, trauma, death and loss. Makes me so sad. 

Explain.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Reading some accounts of storms that hit Indianola in the 1800s and The Great Storm of 1900 are terrifying.  Literal bodies in trees, people chopping through attics only to drown on the roof, lashing themselves to anything that floats.

Hell on earth.