2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

image.thumb.png.809b97c4de9baaac0ebf808d2c9d66b3.png

the mb reading is how high above the ground the measurement is, the kt is the measured wind speed in knots

Interestingly, looks like the dropsonde almost circled Milton’s eye on the way down.  Check out the wind pole. 

Just now, TeeDubya said:

Moral hazard is a subject not discussed much when the big damage numbers are thrown around that supposedly indicate that hurricanes are becoming more intense.  Federal flood insurance programs and the state sponsored Citizens Insurance program, pricy as they may be, shift a lot of risk of the development of these areas from their owners to taxpayers.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

On a side note, watching some of the traffic jams caused by evacuations. How have we not figured out how to close and divert a couple of lanes from oncoming traffic during an emergency?

state of fl govt is only focused on 'agenda' issues

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Not necessarily, I mean you could get decapitated by flying debris, or knocked out by debris and drown.  But yeah, beyond that its probably drowning and having to embrace that terror, or being crushed by debris and suffocating, or exposure, or hypothermia, .....

Or all of that, followed by being eaten by a boa constrictor.

SIAP.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

On a side note, watching some of the traffic jams caused by evacuations. How have we not figured out how to close and divert a couple of lanes from oncoming traffic during an emergency?

The term is contraflow.  And Florida has done it in the past, but has moved away from the practice:

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I mean sure, but, I45 and I35 in Texas don't have that ability do they? What about California wildfires?

Not sure if serious?!

I10: https://www.txdot.gov/content/dam/docs/trf/hurricane-preparation/i10-contraflow.pdf

I45: https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trv/hurricane/i45-contraflow.pdf 

Why would you do that for I35?  To evac Laredo?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, troph said:

This makes me so sad. I wish we could listen to scientists and we coulda acted sooner. The destruction coming is going to bring so much stress, trauma, death and loss. Makes me so sad. 

Working on it now. 

https://www.reuters.com/sustainability/climate-energy/us-looks-resurrect-more-nuclear-reactors-white-house-adviser-says-2024-10-07/

• Hook 'Em 5

Wow.  In perhaps 12+ years on this and the other site, this is the first post in which we are in agreement.  Bravo.

Hey, I’ve said that OU sucks, Salma Hayek is glorious, and great barbecue is awesome. So, surely we agree on a few other things.
Unless you’re a gay vegetarian Sooner. But I’d really only judge you for the Sooner thing.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

For my friend's house in poc we did a 3' wainscot in tile in removable panels, foamed all the walls and put wall vents in and with tile flooring. 

It flooded with most any T storm that got near POC because all the neighbors added 3 ft of base and this was on the ICW.

Move furniture up to second floor, hire clean crew, deploy humidifiers and no big deal.

But we planned for it.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I was just asking a question. Congrats on being an ass 

5 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Yes and every time I'm in that area (likely the poorest person within miles) St Aramands, Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, etc I'm amazed at how they just built a ton of houses on the ground, no stilts or elevation or nothing, on a low-lying barrier islands... I guess it makes sense when they haven't had a major Hurricane since 1921 but still. Shits fucked

Spent lots of time at Holmes Beach on Anna Maria growing up. Grandad was the episcopal priest there. Forever it was a sleepy little beach town with all of the money in Sarasota. Uncle still lives in Bradenton. I am hoping he and his family bug out. 

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hey, I’ve said that OU sucks, Salma Hayek is glorious, and great barbecue is awesome. So, surely we agree on a few other things.
Unless you’re a gay vegetarian Sooner. But I’d really only judge you for the Sooner thing.

Cool.  As Patton (in the film) said to his Russian counterpart, I’ll drink to that to one son of a bitch to another.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Vegetarians are sus AF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

I am familiar with breathable membranes for weatherproofing, but to my knowledge there really isn't a finish material that does this.  I've read a few articles on design ideas for homes in hurricane zones (I think some concepts have even been built), most all of them that I recall were reinforced concrete domes, with the windows being above storm surge height (the general idea being that with the curvature of the doom you would still get ample natural light).  The obvious downside of this is the cost, combined with the subjective notion that it's just unsightly.  

With regular old steel, including in wall cavities one of the concerns would be exposure to salt water and material degradation.  Encased in concrete, it's a different story though.  

The point sure stands though, if people are intent on living in these areas, which it sure appears that they are, we are going to have to rethink how we do this.  

Some of the recent construction houses we looked at had removable panels up to about 4 feet throughout the lower/mid levels. It had the look of wainscoting but you unscrewed the panels and removed them to air out the walls. Electrical was all higher up the walls and studs did not have traditional nails on the floor. Bottom levels had storm drains and blow out sections on walls to try and and alleviate a complete wash out of the lower levels.

People are definitely rethinking construction along the coasts, but there are a ton of older houses and more recent construction that aren’t going to make it long-term. Then you have some communities with more stringent building requirements like we were that should have been fine until the recent weather changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Text from a busy of mine in Tampa after last week's storm...

"Yep, got really lucky.  Dock messed up and water had less than 2 inches before it got in the house.  Garages got a little wet, but otherwise all good. "

I hope he fucking leaves for this one.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Explain.

I'm pretty sure she's referring to the heads-up we were given 40 years ago, in response to which we collectively buried our heads.

46 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Good fucking grief dude give it a fucking rest already.

Look, chica, none of us particularly like to be told, "I told you so." But as pigheaded about climate change, as many on this board have been, it's well warranted. I'm sorry if that's an inconvenient truth.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Sorry, my bad.    (Not the first time I've been congratulated for being an ass. It just comes so naturally sometimes)

Lol. No worries. I know the feeling. Living north of Dallas my whole life, I wouldn't know about contra flow lanes, except maybe leaving a football game. 

Maybe I read to many sci fi books as a kid, but I thought the interstate system was created in part in case of a a nuclear war, so I kinda thought all of them would have a preplanned evac plan

Edited by Jameslaw121

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty sure she's referring to the heads-up we were given 40 years ago, in response to which we collectively buried our heads.

Look, chica, none of us particularly like to be told, "I told you so." But as pigheaded about climate change, as many on this board have been, it's well warranted. I'm sorry if that's an inconvenient truth.

all of this and frankly not a world I'm excited to leave my kids. they don't talk about it much but they (gen z) hates us (boomers x'ers) for this.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

It’s not an inconvenient truth; it’s annoying. The misanthropic, morbid opinings that serve no purpose other than to highlight the already painfully obvious are very Brisket-esque and mostly lead to stupid derailments. This is actually a good/fun thread to follow, including Troph posts that aren’t like the aforementioned one.

If we ever wanted to test the idea of killing a hurricane with a nuclear bomb, now is the perfect time.  I'm sure Tampa would be OK with it.  What's the worst that could happen? Mutant-Florida-Man?

<It's a joke while we're waiting for the next update; please don't CR the thread>

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s not an inconvenient truth; it’s annoying. The misanthropic, morbid opinings that serve no purpose other than to highlight the already painfully obvious are very Brisket-esque and mostly lead to stupid derailments. This is actually a good/fun thread to follow, including Troph posts that aren’t like the aforementioned one.

I wouldn't call it misanthropic, but point taken.

• Like 1

Hurricane shutters are up. My extended family has evacuated Tampa. Helene put 4 feet of water in their house. They are expecting this one to just finish the job and wipe it out.  My house is on the opposite coast but I have an elderly tenant and it’s in direct path after landfall. This is one scary fucker.   Waiting on my hurricane hunter buddy to hit me up 

• Hook 'Em 8

watching weather channel..pressure back over 900 to 914mb and 165 MPH.

the guy also thinks it shifted just a tad south of tampa according to the latest model. its still gonna pound tampa. but sounds like any inch, foot or yard it can shift to the south might spare a little bit of surge.

still will suck for those south of tampa tho

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

the guy also thinks it shifted just a tad south of tampa according to the latest model. its still gonna pound tampa. but sounds like any inch, foot or yard it can shift to the south might spare a little bit of surge.

That is what happens during night time the eyewall replacement cycle will happen and it will regain intensifying tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Brew said:

Some of the recent construction houses we looked at had removable panels up to about 4 feet throughout the lower/mid levels. It had the look of wainscoting but you unscrewed the panels and removed them to air out the walls. Electrical was all higher up the walls and studs did not have traditional nails on the floor. Bottom levels had storm drains and blow out sections on walls to try and and alleviate a complete wash out of the lower levels.

People are definitely rethinking construction along the coasts, but there are a ton of older houses and more recent construction that aren’t going to make it long-term. Then you have some communities with more stringent building requirements like we were that should have been fine until the recent weather changes.

Those are interesting ideas, as was the aforementioned wainscotting idea (though I don't know the foam insulation capability of being repeatedly soaked).  I'm not sure how builders to scale this, but it would at least appear the cost difference would be negligible.  

The other downside to the concrete designs, one I didn't initially consider, is that concrete production has been estimated to be a cause of up to 10% of global green house emissions.  So, while 3D printing with concrete and building hurricane proof domes sounds great on paper, in a sense it would also be contributing to the over all problem, especially at scale.  Now I have read about a few concrete companies getting involved with carbon capture in their own plants, particularly because they see a viable commercial opportunity for using carbon to create products.  I don't know how close any of that is to being a potential reality, nor do I know what sort of capture percentage that would represent.  Both of those figures would obviously play a factor.  It also leaves me wondering if you could potentially use a carbon fiber panel as a finish product, with different architectural finishes (seeing as though that bares on the conversation, it's an interesting thought).   

29 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

South of Tampa was going to get creamed no matter what, they're on the dirty side. If Milton makes landfall south of Tampa Bay (the geographical feature), it'll suck water out rather than inundate it in. There would still be 4+ feet of surge, but not the 10+ that's feared

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Dying in storm like this has to be one of the worst ways to go right? You’d know you fucked up real good by not leaving for a while before the end wouldn’t you? 

54 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Text from a busy of mine in Tampa after last week's storm...

"Yep, got really lucky.  Dock messed up and water had less than 2 inches before it got in the house.  Garages got a little wet, but otherwise all good. "

I hope he fucking leaves for this one.

I have a cousin on the outskirts of Tampa, really smart guy, couple of masters degrees (comp sci, math), late 20s, nice job.

And he told his mom on FaceTime tonight that he wasn’t evacuating, because looters.  Even though he’s been told that power will be cut to his area.

She said there’s some mandatory evacuations in the area and he’ll probably have to go, but she was pissed.