2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 hours ago, The Dog said:

PM EDT: This is nothing short of astronomical. I am at a loss for words to meteorologically describe you the storms small eye and intensity. 897mb pressure with 180 MPH max sustained winds and gusts 200+ MPH. This is now the 4th strongest hurricane ever recorded by pressure on this side of the world. The eye is TINY at nearly 3.8 miles wide. This hurricane is nearing the mathematical limit of what Earth's atmosphere over this ocean water can produce.

homer-homer-simpson.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

50 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s not an inconvenient truth; it’s annoying. The misanthropic, morbid opinings that serve no purpose other than to highlight the already painfully obvious are very Brisket-esque and mostly lead to stupid derailments. This is actually a good/fun thread to follow, including Troph posts that aren’t like the aforementioned one.

Fair enough. I’ve been living on an existential ledge personally for the last 3 months due to health shit so I’m really on edge about a number of things. Thankfully it seems to be nearly over. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, troph said:

Fair enough. I’ve been living on an existential ledge personally for the last 3 months due to health shit so I’m really on edge about a number of things. Thankfully it seems to be nearly over. 

Glad things are looking up, take care of yourself.  

Just no point to worrying about that which you can't control.  Get right in your own mind, body, and spirit.

And never forget that ou still sucks.

• Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Those are interesting ideas, as was the aforementioned wainscotting idea (though I don't know the foam insulation capability of being repeatedly soaked).  I'm not sure how builders to scale this, but it would at least appear the cost difference would be negligible.  

The ones we looked at had standard insulation, it was just separate sections at the break line in external material so it could easily be removed and replaced. Kind of a weird thought to be building them with basically easily replaceable materials 12-14 feet off the ground, but that’s the world we currently live in.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s not an inconvenient truth; it’s annoying. The misanthropic, morbid opinings that serve no purpose other than to highlight the already painfully obvious are very Brisket-esque and mostly lead to stupid derailments. This is actually a good/fun thread to follow, including Troph posts that aren’t like the aforementioned one.

Nothing more “fun” than widespread destruction with a little death mixed in I suppose. However, I’m on the Troph side of this one, it fucking sucks. I’ve spent a large portion of my life on the West Coast of FL and the last couple of years have been a real kick in the nuts to a lot of people we know.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I'm pretty spry at the moment, but at this point there are any number of reasons we're losing interest, perhaps topped by "Floridians".  We like water and beaches but even my wife is starting to think a nice smaller house in New Mexico (with a really nice pool) may be closer to ideal.

Basically, we're sick of assholes and weather.

Assholes? And you said New Mexico?

• Haha 3

Btw we have an ICF home and about the only thing it will do in extreme flooding is leave an external frame standing. The interior would be completely wrecked with a 6 foot (let alone a 10-15 foot) storm surge. There’s still a ton of finish out, interior walls, insulation, etc that would just be fucked in a flood like what’s coming. We even have plaster (concrete) walls instead of paint but sheet rock is under the plaster.  So unless it’s ICF with not much else and steel internal studs for the walls and no sheet rock then you’re still gonna be mostly screwed in a flood situation. Winds, shhheit, no problem at all - except the roof probably. Back to that pesky water getting inside. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty sure she's referring to the heads-up we were given 40 years ago, in response to which we collectively buried our heads.

Look, chica, none of us particularly like to be told, "I told you so." But as pigheaded about climate change, as many on this board have been, it's well warranted. I'm sorry if that's an inconvenient truth.

It's Always in the high 90s for OU do your own research!!!

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Assholes? And you said New Mexico?

Move to Santa Fe and just say you’re gay and you’ll have plenty of friends. 

Just now, Born to Run said:

It's Always in the high 90s for OU do your own research!!!

That one time it rained in 1984. Don’t make me tell that story again. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If we ever wanted to test the idea of killing a hurricane with a nuclear bomb, now is the perfect time.  I'm sure Tampa would be OK with it.  What's the worst that could happen? Mutant-Florida-Man?

<It's a joke while we're waiting for the next update; please don't CR the thread>

Redirect it via sharpie?

No CR

I have a cousin on the outskirts of Tampa, really smart guy, couple of masters degrees (comp sci, math), late 20s, nice job.
And he told his mom on FaceTime tonight that he wasn’t evacuating, because looters.  Even though he’s been told that power will be cut to his area.
She said there’s some mandatory evacuations in the area and he’ll probably have to go, but she was pissed.

You’re going to have to go after his math brain.

Unless he’s a trust fund kid a grad degreed guy in their 20s doesn’t have much that can’t be replaced at Walmart.

Grab the computers, jewelry, personal documents, photos, any expensive cameras and leave.

Also ask him what he is going to do without power, water, internet, etc for a 2-3 weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Unless he’s a trust fund kid a grad degreed guy in their 20s doesn’t have much that can’t be replaced at Walmart.

Grab the computers, jewelry, personal documents, photos, any expensive cameras and leave.

Also ask him what he is going to do without power, water, internet, etc for a 2-3 weeks.

This is a real good point, what exactly does a typical person in their 20s have that they can't take with them and that is worth losing their life over?  Yeah, it might suck to lose some stuff, but at the end of the day, it's all stuff.  I lost everything in a fire in my 20s, in a strange way, it was liberating, I don't think I'll ever feel overly attached to material things again (I wouldn't say I was hugely that way to begin with, but even less so after that).  

Someone's life, especially a young persons, is so much more valuable than any of the crap we keep, and for the most part, it's all crap.  I sincerely hope you can appeal to this person's senses.  

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

no water for many days 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The misanthropic, morbid opinings that serve no purpose other than to highlight the already painfully obvious are very Brisket-esque and mostly lead to stupid derailments. 

Longest New Surly Motto evah?

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I was supposed to fly to Tampa today for the week but decided to say fuck that and went to our Vegas office. Got a bitch ass email from my director in Denver who is a trumper telling me I didn’t get approval for this change even though I did. Now he is being a super bitch wanting to run disaster recovery shit. He is an Aggie and fake military. I am at the mgm and drunk so I might get fired 

Do it! gif

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I was supposed to fly to Tampa today for the week but decided to say fuck that and went to our Vegas office. Got a bitch ass email from my director in Denver who is a trumper telling me I didn’t get approval for this change even though I did. Now he is being a super bitch wanting to run disaster recovery shit. He is an Aggie and fake military. I am at the mgm and drunk so I might get fired 

Irrespective of outcome with the job, you have chosen correctly.  

• Hook 'Em 2

He’s a dumb fuck. Hardcore the media overblown the coverage. I’m fine I’m just drunk talking shit just pisses me off that now he wants to talk about disaster recovery . Mfer stay in Denver I don’t need your bitch ass

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

This. Andrew hit on August 24. We didn’t get power back at the house until the first week of October. Downtown Miami was without water for over a week. 

My dad and stepmom have a place in Naples and I think this is the second time it's going to get slammed in about 5-10 years.

Naples is one of the most culturally disgusting places I've ever been, a suburban hellscape with a bunch of super entitled east coast and midwest Boomers treating a largely brown Spanish-speaking or white trash underclass like "the help." My dad and stepmom are cool, but some sort of supermajority of people are like that. Including my uncle and aunt, who also have a place down there. When we visit them at their high-class condo complex (which I admit is kind of cool with a resort-level pool complex, poolside bar, etc.) I am beyond embarrassed watching how they and the other residents treat the pool staff, bartenders, and so on. Same goes for watching people interact at restaurants and in stores. Everyone there has "made it" because they've paid some ungodly amount to live in the Villages by the Sea.

And although it would harm my (small) inheritance -- he's a retired autoworker who got beat to shit over 30+ years on the job and lives off his pension -- I don't feel that bad for the jerks that get their reckoning (condos/houses, cars, etc.), though I hope the underclass makes it through safe and sound, both physically and financially.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, choripan said:

Naples is one of the most culturally disgusting places I've ever been, a suburban hellscape with a bunch of super entitled east coast and midwest Boomers treating a largely brown Spanish-speaking or white trash underclass like "the help." My dad and stepmom are cool, but some sort of supermajority of people are like that. Including my uncle and aunt, who also have a place down there. When we visit them at their high-class condo complex (which I admit is kind of cool with a resort-level pool complex, poolside bar, etc.) I am beyond embarrassed watching how they and the other residents treat the pool staff, bartenders, and so on. Same goes for watching people interact at restaurants and in stores. Everyone there has "made it" because they've paid some ungodly amount to live in the Villages by the Sea.

this completely nails what I hate about Florida. My grandparents lived in Pompano Beach. There was zero feeling of community uniting people. Just haves vs have nots. Maybe central or northern Florida has better vibes.

28 minutes ago, choripan said:

My dad and stepmom have a place in Naples and I think this is the second time it's going to get slammed in about 5-10 years.

And although it would harm my (small) inheritance -- he's a retired autoworker who got beat to shit over 30+ years on the job and lives off his pension -- I don't feel that bad for the jerks that get their reckoning (condos/houses, cars, etc.), though I hope the underclass makes it through safe and sound, both physically and financially.

This is exactly why I spend my weekends in St Pete

13 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

this completely nails what I hate about Florida. My grandparents lived in Pompano Beach. There was zero feeling of community uniting people. Just haves vs have nots. Maybe central or northern Florida has better vibes.

really? Admittedly Ive only been to Southern florida a handful of times-Fort Meyers once, Miami/Keys just like 2-3. We've done family vacations to Melbourne Beach for probably the last 25 years now and Ive never gotten the sense of elitist in that area. we like MB because it isn't exactly swanky/full of tourists and our hotel has a balcony on the beach so we know the area(roads, restaurants) pretty well. Maybe its a central Florida thing vs southern.

Although this year our family vacation may happen over Christmas time vs normally easter and we may go further south since its a little warmer than central florida for that time of year

12 minutes ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

This is exactly why I spend my weekends in St Pete

We once stayed at La Playa in Naples for a few days, and really enjoyed it, but it was pretty isolated from the city proper.  We did get out a bit but mostly just hung out on the beach.

Now, our subsequent trip to St. Pete Beach was awesome.  Much more our speed.  We spent a few days at that giant pink monstrosity, but the little town full of bungalows etc. seemed like the kind of place we could live.

Edited by jimmyjazz