2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Rita was a few weeks after Katrina, and it was the only time I remember being scared of a hurricane when I was younger (25ish). We saw the chaos of the evacuation and opted to stay put. Ironically, the morning before it was supposd to hit, and it looked like it turned, the freeways were wide fucking open and contra flow, so I opeted at the last minute to evacuate Houston for Austin and made it there in like 2 hours. Because why take a chance? Of course, I probably passed a  hundred cars stalled out and abandoned on the side of the freeways. After the Rita fiasco, by Ike, I'd resorted to typical youthful invulnerability.

At this point, in my neighborhood and my experience, I don't see much of a need to evacuate Houston, but I absolutely would for a category 4 or 5 becuase, as you said, why the fuck not? Even with a generator. 

Needs Immamac in a bathing suit tossing his hair back in the middle of the street, imo. 

Rita also was a monster storm.  My sister's ex-husband did the same thing.  He waited until the morning of landfall and leisurely drove to Austin.  Of course, Rita turned and smacked Orange, leaving Houston barely damp.  But the ultimate futility and hassle of evacuating for that storm left a lot of people with the idea that they'd rather stay put, illogical though it may be.  We finally got my mom to move up here.  My sister still likes to spit in the face of peril and, soon, will have a generator so her food won't spoil in 100+ mph winds.  I'd definitely spring for one if I still lived there.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

I have a good friend in Palmetto. His in laws have a house on the intracoastal somewhere between your condo and Clearwater. I’ve been there, but I was too drunk to remember where exactly. 

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

this completely nails what I hate about Florida. My grandparents lived in Pompano Beach. There was zero feeling of community uniting people. Just haves vs have nots. Maybe central or northern Florida has better vibes.

Northern Florida, famous for good vibes.

3 hours ago, choripan said:

Be safe man. I really hope this is a remote-in to your cam and not "hey, I'm posted up here with 60 Busch Lattes and a Yeti let's rock and roll."

Dunno what a Busch Latte is, but Do. Not. Want.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.477a03e6b400a59ab27ab3f8fd190e69.png

Every single Boomer on Facebook: "love it! 🤣🤣 so bless! take care, love Aunt Pat"

• Haha 6

I have some in-laws in the Tampa Bay area.  They own one of those houses on a canal system.  I was happy to hear they were planning to evacuate to a 2nd home in Kentucky, but as of midnight last night, they hadn't been able to get out and were planning to leave "in the morning".  I don't know if they are going to be able to get out of Florida, but I hope they can get to some shelter on high ground at least.

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, troph said:

And hey just fyi @Herbie Hancock is a solid guy. I’d give him the middle finger Johnny cash style for something or many things maybe but not last night. There’s a thread for climate change and there’s a hurricane geek thread and I did kinda cross those up - and I'm not apologizing for being really torn up about back to back majors, what happened to NC and what the Florida Man and Euros are in store for. And for the rest of his post, I took no offense, it's easy to tell who is a real asshole on this board, he's def not one. Now call me a JAG and I’ll fuck each and everyone of you bitches up. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Rita was absolutely one to evacuate for.  If it hadn't taken that last minute jag it would have fucked Houston up.

Oh shit.....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Dafuq is a JAG?

Not  gonna Google it.

football term - just another guy* what BrickTop said.

*meant as gender neutral.

Bitch, I'm special, FIVE star holla. ha.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Looks like people are listening.

Yep.  This has real Katrina - Rita vibes from 2005.

Two back-to-back major-ass storms (not a common thing, last happened nearly 20 years ago).

First storm does epic and catastrophic damage, getting national attention and wide-eyed "HOLY SHIT" from anyone paying attention.

Second storm comes along, and authorities say "this one looks as bad as the first storm, maybe worse."

People rightly remember the fresh lesson - from literally days before - of the ass-kicking administered by the first storm, and say "Fuck that shit, I'm outta here."

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  This has real Katrina - Rita vibes from 2005.

Two back-to-back major-ass storms (not a common thing, last happened nearly 20 years ago).

First storm does epic and catastrophic damage, getting national attention and wide-eyed "HOLY SHIT" from anyone paying attention.

Second storm comes along, and authorities say "this one looks as bad as the first storm, maybe worse."

People rightly remember the fresh lesson - from literally days before - of the ass-kicking administered by the first storm, and say "Fuck that shit, I'm outta here."

I remember the Delta variant, too

14 minutes ago, heso said:

Unfortunately that new track takes it directly over my friends house and his wife’s business. 

He works for a specialty pharmacy company and after Ian he was driving around with his chainsaw and a couple hundred thousand dollars of cancer meds in his truck to get to patients houses when their currier paused operations. 

He’s staying behind, I assume planning on doing the same thing in the aftermath.  Hopefully it’s not the wrong decision. 

fucking A not all heroes wear capes, you run with a good friend group.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My sister and her family live in St. Pete. 10 feet above sea level.  15 would put her downstairs largely underwater.  They've moved everythign they can to the second floor.  They are not in a floodplain so no flood insurance.  They left at 8am yesterday morning and are in a hotel in Mobile with 3 kids including one in a wheelchair and 3 dogs.  And I assume a good amount of booze to calm their stress. 

As soon as they can get back in and asses the damage Ill be flying there and spending the week in clean up mode (assuming I can get into the area)

I also have a client who works for the Rays leave with his wife and are headed south to pick up mom(68) and grandma (95) who live an hour south and going towards Miami

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, troph said:

Fair enough. I’ve been living on an existential ledge personally for the last 3 months due to health shit so I’m really on edge about a number of things. Thankfully it seems to be nearly over. 

11 hours ago, Brew said:

Nothing more “fun” than widespread destruction with a little death mixed in I suppose. However, I’m on the Troph side of this one, it fucking sucks. I’ve spent a large portion of my life on the West Coast of FL and the last couple of years have been a real kick in the nuts to a lot of people we know.

Good thread, and I don't want to derail it.

TLDR, or if you read it, a simple like or a fuck you will suffice.

My wife came home from work last night and said a co-worker stormed out of work, with a parting comment of "I'm going to kill myself."

Fuck!!! My biggest dilemma was what time can I leave for Dallas Friday?

There is so much shit in the world, in no particular order; our polarized political leadership, Ukraine, Israel and their neighbors, etc., a constant barrage of extreme weather events and the hardships they bring, corporate greed run amuck, social upheavals, daily mass shootings, and so many personal things that make so many feel that life is not worth living.

Please, for yourself, and family & friends, slowly push away from the table, find a quiet place and take a few deep breaths. Life is short and precious, and much better when enjoyed. 

10 hours ago, BamaATL said:

This is a real good point, what exactly does a typical person in their 20s have that they can't take with them and that is worth losing their life over?  Yeah, it might suck to lose some stuff, but at the end of the day, it's all stuff.  I lost everything in a fire in my 20s, in a strange way, it was liberating, I don't think I'll ever feel overly attached to material things again (I wouldn't say I was hugely that way to begin with, but even less so after that).  

Someone's life, especially a young persons, is so much more valuable than any of the crap we keep, and for the most part, it's all crap.  I sincerely hope you can appeal to this person's senses.  

I generally agree. But with no grandkids on the horizon, I bought some really nice guitars. I don't play, just listen and watch. One good thing about having all the shit around is it helps me remember all the things about all the shit. It is also evidence of a lifetime of experiences.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Rita was a few weeks after Katrina, and it was the only time I remember being scared of a hurricane when I was younger (25ish). We saw the chaos of the evacuation and opted to stay put.

Because why take a chance? Of course, I probably passed a  hundred cars stalled out and abandoned on the side of the freeways. After the Rita fiasco, by Ike, I'd resorted to typical youthful invulnerability.

At this point, in my neighborhood and my experience, I don't see much of a need to evacuate Houston, but I absolutely would for a category 4 or 5 becuase, as you said, why the fuck not? Even with a generator. 

I had been working in SLC leading up to Rita and cut my trip short to fly home to Katy. My colleagues said don't go there, you saw what Katrina did. I had to get home first, to the wife and kids, before I did anything else.

Katrina & Rita, similar situations, but different. Similar w/ a massive hurricanes barreling down on a large coastal city. Different? Don't ever equate Louisiana w/ Texas or Houston (Katy) w/ New Orleans. New Orleans is below sea level, like a bathtub surrounded by water, and people choose to live there. 'Nuff said?  

In SE Texas, it made sense for people in low lying area's and proximate to the water to leave.  More than half our neighborhood, and a lot of Houston, evacuated. Why? Our neighbors, because they wanted to, and had a place to go. For a lot of people, they evacuated because they had to and were just trying to get to a safer place. For many, the evacuation was a bigger disaster than the hurricane, as it brought the trauma right smack into their personal lives.

When I got to Houston, the streets were empty and the airport was closed. We were one of the last incoming flights, everybody was gone from the airport but a skeleton crew and the national guard, w/ weapons. All the gas stations along the way were already out of gas. I was an O&G executive, and could not get gas from the energy capital and largest refining complex in the world. WTF?

I drove to the west side, but didn't have enough diesel to make it home. A wrecker driver kindly told of a station that had some.  I had to ask a family that had evacuated, w/ young kids in a car packed to the gills, to move their car so I could get some diesel to feed by F-250 and go home to take care of my family, in a safe, dry place.

It was very surreal, for many reasons, the contrast in lives and livelyhoods, a realization of where I came from and where I was. The reality that so many normal people, when put in an uncomfortable or stressful situation, will make poor decisions (not yoga practitoneers).

Troph, your "40 year" comment hit a nerve (my lasts semester at UT). 

My family continued a cycle that has existed since Columbus and the explorers. The 1st generation struggled for survival and a simple existence, giving the 2nd generation a chance to learn a trade, a carpenter, a teacher, a doctor, etc, so the 3rd generation has freedom of choice, to be an artist, a musician, a thinker, a poet, and the cycle repeats.

I'm the second generation, both parents raised on the farm, moved to the city. I gave plasma every week my last semester, because $10/wk was meaningful, "Do I buy gas or eat?", and I got orange juice and cookies. In one generation, we went from middle lower class to middle upper class, lived in Oklahoma 3 different times (both kids born in there, on Texas soil), Louisiana and Colorado (Yes!!!). 

Now, I'm retired in the Hill Country, posting on message boards, making bank, and getting ready for OU.

And collectively, we, My Generation of Boomers, are the reason for the worlds ills.

Sorry, but I think I paid my dues and have a hard time accepting that elevating and providing for my family the best way I know how was a bad thing.

I don't think it is so much what we are doing is so bad, but the reality that there are so, so many people doing it, and the cumulative affect to provide for all that is not sustainable.

• Hook 'Em 7