2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

2 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Have friends in Bradenton as well who sent just about the same thing, they moved further inland as well as their house in Bradenton is not one I would want to hunker down in any sort of storm... think they will be lucky if it still has a roof when they come back.

Highly unlikely with the winds blowing at the predicted speeds.  So sad. 

25 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Aqua fence about to be printing money, like the "Plylox," guy.

The Aqua fence might be effective if it doesn’t blow away before the surge but comes at a steep cost. $300-$700 per linear foot, depending on the height. That hospital spent $1M on theirs. . 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The Aqua fence looks effective but comes at a steep cost. $300-$700 per linear foot, depending on the height. That hospital spent $1M on theirs. . 

A few more years of this shit, and the aqua fence will be cheaper than buying flood insurance in Florida. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

The atmosphere in Florida is going a bit nuts right now - don't see many wedge tornadoes in Florida to my knowledge ...

They happen in Florida, but I don’t recall seeing one from a hurricane. Usually the tornadoes from a hurricane are small quick spin-up types. That’s scary.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

They happen in Florida, but I don’t recall seeing one from a hurricane. Usually the tornadoes from a hurricane are small quick spin-up types. That’s scary.

Mini supercells are fairly common on the dirty side with even outer bands.   Sometimes, they get enough updraft structure and ride favorable enough parameter space to actually produce a lot of tornadoes.  

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not exactly hard to calculate wind loads.  Civil engineers learn it . . . in school.  Hell, most architects could do it.

Would a storm surge at or near the capacity of the wall not exert more pressure than the wind?  So if it can handle the surge, shouldn’t it be able to handle the wind?

46 minutes ago, Goredho said:

No, it's not.  We won't know how dumb we've gotten until an idea is floated that is so unbelievably stupid that it is rejected out of hand by even the dumbest among us.  There is still plenty of room to grow more stupid.

Let's test this.

@Zeus, @markstanco, what's y'all's thoughts on whether these hurricanes are being engineered by the gubmint?

ETA: Sorry Bevo, I confused you with Zeus for a moment there. 

Edited by wildcat09
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would a storm surge at or near the capacity of the wall not exert more pressure than the wind?  So if it can handle the surge, shouldn’t it be able to handle the wind?

I'm not sure.  Obviously, it depends on the wind speed.

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m not an expert, but I think wind tends to be more of a horizontal force. I don’t believe it exerts a strong force downward like water would.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not sure.  Obviously, it depends on the wind speed.

Well, it also depends on the person/people doing the installation knowing what the fuck they are doing.  Have you been to Home Depot lately?  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’m not an expert, but I think wind tends to be more of a horizontal force. I don’t believe it exerts a strong force downward like water would.

CE here and I think this is correct.  The water weight helps counter the horizontal forces (both wind and water).  But I would imagine that the high cost per sq ft of fence includes some form of anchoring to help stability during high winds.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

A few people have brought it up recently in this thread - for 95% of the people the surge/wind isn’t the problem it’s the aftermath with no power and water. The debris everywhere. The smell. It’s fucking miserable. For close to a month or more. After Harvey I came back home to Port A 2 days after landfall but stayed most nights in Corpus where there was power. I was lucky and was able to find a place to stay. That’s one of the hardest (and most expensive) things to do and I imagine it will be much harder in Florida as it’s a more densely populated area.

Yeah.  We would drive down for the day from Bastrop area when we needed to assess, clean, meet with FEMA, meet with the roofer or other workers, etc.  The Sea Sands condo ripped all their sheet rock out and piled it on their parking lot till it could be hauled away.  My wife picked up a cough from all the crap in the air. My sister in law's neighborhood over by Community Park was covered with all the vegetation from Charlie's Pasture and the sewer plant swamp.  They had more smell problems than we did.  It was probably six weeks to two months before we could stay the night.

26 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The pressure load on the fence increases towards the bottom, whereas the wind load is roughly constant bottom to top.  What I don't know is the relative magnitude.  (Dams are thicker at the bottom for this reason.)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Unless you live in an underground bunker or concrete house with bullet proof windows, your house isn't hurricane proof for this storm.  The dry stack boat marina outside of Rockport was rated for a Cat 3 storm and Harvey peeled them like an onion.  Those Spanish tile roofs everyone loves to have on coastal homes?  They make terrible shrapnel when the wind starts peeling them off roofs.

I feel like an underground bunker would just find one way or another to fucking flood. 

6 minutes ago, freyguy said:

That's going to stop a storm surge?

Yeah, my first thought was "they needed a fence double that size. Not sure 10 ft is going to be enough. 

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Idiots!  Why pay a million dollars when you can fill sand bags from *checks notes*  the protected sand dunes for FREE!11!!!1

image.thumb.jpeg.955452bfc0c8689063afaf3ef6ebfcaf.jpeg

I took this picture today, the sign in the dunes to the dudes right designates the sensitive protected nature dune area.  Also the moron is shoveling in flip flops.   I did ask if he saw the sign about the dunes being protected and he smiled and said yes.  Ft Lauderdale is GIVING AWAY filled sand bags for free not 2 miles from here.  As my dear old dad says, "If you're going to be stupid, you got to be tough."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Flood zones don't matter when there are gonna be 150mph+ winds. 

My dad worked at Mobil (and then Exxon Mobil) for 30+ years. I don’t know how many TS, Cat 1 and 2 storms he rode out either at the house or at the plant. He was on call for Rita and stayed at their house. It was built in the 50’s in a neighborhood where the water had never gotten above the front door threshold, with hundred year old oaks and pines. He said there were 12 solid hours of hurricane force wind, with a little break when the eye passed overhead. He said near the end the walls and ceiling were flexing in and out and there was an audible moaning sound, like the house was breathing. He thought the whole thing was going to come crashing down on him. Huge pines snapped like twigs and oaks that were just uprooted pushed over like nothing

wind energy changes with the square of the change in velocity. Cat 3 and up are monsters for sure

Jeff Masters blog saying there is a 20 mile difference right now between Tampa getting royally fucked or not and that such a 20 mile shift/wobble is still within forecasted potential. Hold on to your butts.