2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

These are some serious tornadoes. I'd always thought the spin-ups from tropical systems were supposed to be fairly weak and short lived EF0s. Guess that isn't always true

It was true. 

A lot of things are very different going forward than we've encountered before. How long until living in Florida is uninsurable? A decade?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, choripan said:

I get such a kick out of this every time I see it. "Look how dumb they are!" Except that it should be the median and not the average

Signed,

Pedantic Guy

"Average" can be mean, median, or mode. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

When Harvey hit, there were a bunch of frigatebirds and all sorts of coastal/oceanic terns being seen at Lake Travis and Walter E Long Lake. There will be a bunch of stuff you never see from land being pushed right across the entire state of Florida.

That's fucked up. And who knows where the fuck these birds finally end up. Gotta be a death sentence for migratory birds.

I lost an entire colony of Purple Martins a few years ago after decades of success. Some weather event got them.

Any bird lawyers here?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So its movement has sped up? Hopefully the amount of time that areas spend under hurricane force winds will be greatly diminished. Eyewall already coming on shore apparently, hours ahead of schedule. 

Just an observation...

A corollary to dirty side/clean side of the storm;

Tampa and the west coast of Florida faces west, Biloxi-Lake Charles-Houston faces south. If you rotate the map ~ 90 °. you get this.

From this perspective, even with Milton making landfall towards Sarasota, it seems like the counter-clockwise rotation is still going to push a lot of water into Tampa Bay, especially with the way Tampa Bay makes a hook (true north, towards the left of the rotated picture).  Water is smart, it will find the lowest elevation.

I know, ... like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, ... Florida is gonna get smacked.

image.png.c4e8efd75da95aa10e5dda978a63d927.png

Edited by PTINS
typo. text.

If it is on the internet it must be true, right?  

I was familiar with the Waffle House Index, but today I learned that Waffle House has an actual storm center.  I have no idea how this escaped me until today.  I refuse to believe this is anything but 100% true.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 minutes ago, ScottS said:

If it is on the internet it must be true, right?  

I was familiar with the Waffle House Index, but today I learned that Waffle House has an actual storm center.  I have no idea how this escaped me until today.  I refuse to believe this is anything but 100% true.

Give me a couple grilled chicken breasts, some hashbrowns and their bad ass coke. 

33 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

That's fucked up. And who knows where the fuck these birds finally end up. Gotta be a death sentence for migratory birds.

I lost an entire colony of Purple Martins a few years ago after decades of success. Some weather event got them.

Any bird lawyers here?

I think the migrants are smart enough to not fly right into the storm. You can use live radar (birdcast.info) to see where they're moving and basically nothing is passing through Florida at the moment, nor are they expected to tonight. 

But I guess you are right in that the little guys staging to cross the Gulf that are already in Florida might be in a bit of trouble.

Edited by hookem2010

11 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

I think the migrants are smart enough to not fly right into the storm. You can use live radar (birdcast.info) to see where they're moving and basically nothing is passing through Florida at the moment, nor are they expected to tonight. 

Mostly true, but I've been 130 miles out in the gulf and had woodland songbirds amass on our boat. Gave water when they would take it. They usually flew off when we got underway.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

Mostly true, but I've been 130 miles out in the gulf and had woodland songbirds amass on our boat. Gave water when they would take it. They usually flew off when we got underway.

It's incredible that these things that weigh less than an ounce cross the Gulf of Mexico without stopping, overnight, twice a year.

OK, I'll stop. Back to the hurricane.

• Hook 'Em 4

Follow up on dog rescued tied to the fence post (mother fuckers do this shit should be jailed.) everyone wants to adopt Spuds McKenzie there.

SIAP. I don’t have time to sit and read thread yet. But this shit upsets me so fucking much. At least this dog is ok. I’m glad the troopers saw him. 

Nichole, you have one job to do! If there ever is a person near water/you…
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Eye is coming ashore around Venice. An awesome little town with a really strong HS football team. Used to have a ww2 training base there and a great surfing jetty for gulf surf. 

IMG_8113.gif.534ca887a08604847a736185d311cb3f.gif

• Haha 2

It was true. 
A lot of things are very different going forward than we've encountered before. How long until living in Florida is uninsurable? A decade?

Wow, I was just thinking about the insurance thing about an hour ago. It may go a similar route as flood insurance? Who knows.

3 hours ago, choripan said:

I get such a kick out of this every time I see it. "Look how dumb they are!" Except that it should be the median and not the average

Signed,

Pedantic Guy

Agreed, but this country is getting so fucking stupid, if you toss in the word median, a majority of people would wonder what the grassy strip between roads has to do with anything

I Dont Get It Dont Understand GIF - I Dont Get It Dont Get It Dont  Understand - Discover & Share GIFs

16 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Thinking it would be cool for us to sponsor @immamac and @Wulaw Horn to do some storm chasing in the RV at some point with a live stream. 

If the sex tents a flappin', surly dudes are fappin'

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Eye is coming ashore around Venice. An awesome little town with a really strong HS football team. Used to have a ww2 training base there and a great surfing jetty for gulf surf. 

Sucks. I’ve done a bunch of fossil diving there over the years. Great town with badass hole in the wall restaurants and bars. I’m worried for them and everyone else 

• Hook 'Em 5

45 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Venice is a cute little town and it's actually a town with year round residents and not just snowbirds in high rises.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You got your wish. Already a bunch of deaths.

No, you missed the in the trees part. That indicates the level of violence dodged out by the storm and/or how big the storm surge is into areas of significant population. 

It's a nuance thing