2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

9 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I understand why the media does it but why the fucking sheep celebrate getting gas lit at every corner is what I don't understand.

Hell a bunch of them are patting themselves on the back in this thread after getting everything wrong over the past 8+ years.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I understand why the media does it but why the fucking sheep celebrate getting gas lit at every corner is what I don't understand.

Hell a bunch of them are patting themselves on the back in this thread after getting everything wrong over the past 8+ years.

ironic alanis morissette GIF

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Dude you were predicting the apocalypse earlier this year based off of YouTube videos.

I'm not predicting the apocalype just stating that when the next Carrington Event occurs we are headed back to the stone age.  Sorry you lack the ability to pay attention to something that your mainstream lords and masters do not spoon feed you.

12 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm not predicting the apocalype just stating that when the next Carrington Event occurs we are headed back to the stone age.  Sorry you lack the ability to pay attention to something that your mainstream lords and masters do not spoon feed you.

GIF by Steve Harvey TV

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Muh climate change!!! BAN VOLCANOES!

IDK if I would take that guys word at face value. Which you are, since despite putting something in quotes, he still doesn't attribute it to anything lol. He also thinks that the COVID vaccine will maim you, according to some of his other tweets. 

But please, do tell us why we should care. In your own words, and not just pasting a xweet

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm watching the Ryan Hall guy and like him; he keeps his cool and isn't hyperbolic.

They're discussing the backside of the eyewall is coming on shore now. He and his chasers are talking about what's coming on shore now, which is a lot stronger than the front in this case.

Lots of flooding from the rain itself, beyond the storm surge. The airport has received 5 inches in the last hour on top of the 7 inches they'd already gotten today.

Storm surge is much worse right now to the south around Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte where all power is out.

Yeah, Ryan Hall Y'all is a great channel...

This started today just after 12:15pm EST.  Over 10 hours of coverage...

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

IDK if I would take that guys word at face value. Which you are, since despite putting something in quotes, he still doesn't attribute it to anything lol. He also thinks that the COVID vaccine will maim you, according to some of his other tweets. 

But please, do tell us why we should care. In your own words, and not just pasting a xweet

Robin Monotti is an architect and a water fountain designer. What makes you question his Covid credentials? 

• Haha 7

55 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Why didn't the last Carrington Event put us back in the stone age? Why will the next one?

Also does that mean we'll have cars that we drive with our feet?

car spaceship GIF

Edited by David Dennison
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

You are impressively stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why didn't the last Carrington Event put us back in the stone age? Why will the next one?

Also does that mean we'll have cars that we drive with our feet?

It's actually really interesting stuff, I've read some on it, and while a good bit of it is over my head, basically we are fortunate.  Yes, we get major solar generated geo storms, and yes, they'd be a problem.  However, the particle/proton side of it isn't enough to cause any long-term significant damage.  Scientists have done work on understanding this by examining ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica. 

In 80s there was a study done that initially indicated that particle energy and damage was detected, which has since been debunked.  Conspiracy theorists, as they do, latched on to the study that indicates a coming apocalypse, while ignoring the fact that it's been debunked.  The one in 1800s isn't the largest they've found and dated, the largest was about 8,000 years ago (from my memory, so maybe off a bit), and even that, while large, wouldn't have been big enough for long term damage. 

However, we do know this does happen in other systems, and one of the major theories because of the nature of binary star systems and gravitational wobbles (this is where we seem to be fortunate).  Our system is just big enough to be as it is, and just small enough to avoid enough mass from collecting at Jupiter to form a secondary star.  All of that part is theoretical but very interesting.  

That said, it's also not without precedent for technology to be lost to history after the destruction of a civilization, however the circumstances now make that seem unlikely.  There was a civilization in Africa (I believe Ethiopia, but again, from memory) that actually had the modern equivalent of sanitary sewers and pluming about 5 thousand years ago.  They used clay pipes, which we did as well prior to plastics.  Historians/Archealogists aren't clear on what happened to them, but that technology was lost for a long time.  So it can happen, but nowadays, it seems pretty unlikely given the amount of written information out there that something like this could happen.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

In 2002, we were returning from the well check for our one year old, during a rain event that dropped thirteen inches of rain in an afternoon. The HEB was open, but had no power.

Since then, the 100 and 500 year events were recalibrated, because they occurred too frequently to deserve that designation. Fuck you, @Pimphand, because moronic viewpoints are not helpful when the past is no longer is a guide to the present.

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/flood-risk-and-atlas-14

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2019/07/city-of-austin-adjusts-up-flood-map-adjustment-timeline/

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2018/03/austins-100-year-flood-plain-looks-more-like-todays-500-year-flood-plain/

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, heso said:

Why the fuck does the news media have to be so hyperbolic? I just heard someone refer to this as a “once in a thousand year weather event”. 

Just listen to this journalist's report all the way through, complaining about people swimming in face of the hurricane (she's actually in England maybe, but it applies here).

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

These "tornadoes" are called "WATER SPOUTS", because they occurred over water.

Floridians should know this.

Fucking idiots.

"Tornados" make for drama and sound scary though.

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

or fossilized shark teeth.

7 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Posted on a hurricane thread.

it’s not anger, bub.  It’s just mind blowing.

Montreal had a three day port strike in early October and I saw signs for port strikes in Newfoundland although I didn't pay attention to the dates. It wasn't just the US longshoremen who were unhappy. And a port strike in early October can absolutely have lingering effects for a week or 2.