2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

IDK if I would take that guys word at face value. Which you are, since despite putting something in quotes, he still doesn't attribute it to anything lol. He also thinks that the COVID vaccine will maim you, according to some of his other tweets. 

But please, do tell us why we should care. In your own words, and not just pasting a xweet

Clearly you’re not familiar with pimphand’s work in the Covid thread if you don’t see why he’d view this guy as a kindred spirit. 

6 hours ago, BamaATL said:

It's actually really interesting stuff, I've read some on it, and while a good bit of it is over my head, basically we are fortunate.  Yes, we get major solar generated geo storms, and yes, they'd be a problem.  However, the particle/proton side of it isn't enough to cause any long-term significant damage.  Scientists have done work on understanding this by examining ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica. 

In 80s there was a study done that initially indicated that particle energy and damage was detected, which has since been debunked.  Conspiracy theorists, as they do, latched on to the study that indicates a coming apocalypse, while ignoring the fact that it's been debunked.  The one in 1800s isn't the largest they've found and dated, the largest was about 8,000 years ago (from my memory, so maybe off a bit), and even that, while large, wouldn't have been big enough for long term damage. 

However, we do know this does happen in other systems, and one of the major theories because of the nature of binary star systems and gravitational wobbles (this is where we seem to be fortunate).  Our system is just big enough to be as it is, and just small enough to avoid enough mass from collecting at Jupiter to form a secondary star.  All of that part is theoretical but very interesting.  

That said, it's also not without precedent for technology to be lost to history after the destruction of a civilization, however the circumstances now make that seem unlikely.  There was a civilization in Africa (I believe Ethiopia, but again, from memory) that actually had the modern equivalent of sanitary sewers and pluming about 5 thousand years ago.  They used clay pipes, which we did as well prior to plastics.  Historians/Archealogists aren't clear on what happened to them, but that technology was lost for a long time.  So it can happen, but nowadays, it seems pretty unlikely given the amount of written information out there that something like this could happen.  

Yeah, well what about the lost technology from Atlantis, which is what’s creating these hurricanes from the bottom of the ocean? What about that, sheeple? - Pimphand

god, I woke up thinking we’d see reports of damage and storm surge and some details emerging and instead we have pimphand and stanco smearing their galaxy brains all over the fucking thread. Fuck me. Actually, fuck all us, but mostly fuck all of you guys. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Ever get the sense that people in the shipping industry might lie about, well I dunno, anything, to buy some extra time?  

“We found an alternate port that can get your shit offloaded by the original planned date. It will only cost you an extra 15% transfer fee.”

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Celery you’re not familiar with pimphand’s work in the Covid thread if you don’t see why he’d view this guy as a kindred spirit. 

Yeah, well what about the lost technology from Atlantis, which is what’s creating these hurricanes from the bottom of the ocean? What about that, sheeple? - Pimphand

god, I woke up thinking we’d see reports of damage and storm surge and some details emerging and instead we have pimphand and stanco smearing their galaxy brains all over the fucking thread. Fuck me. Actually, fuck all us, but mostly fuck all of you guys. 

First time in DT?  Its a cesspool now

7 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

We can put a man on the moon, but it takes weeks to demob a crane?  Sound like the crane company plans to collect a real nice insurance check. Joke’s on them, every insurance company in Florida will declare bankruptcy as soon as the courthouses open. 

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Celery you’re not familiar with pimphand’s work in the Covid thread if you don’t see why he’d view this guy as a kindred spirit. 

Go back to bed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

We can put a man on the moon, but it takes weeks to demob a crane?  Sound like the crane company plans to collect a real nice insurance check. Joke’s on them, every insurance company in Florida will declare bankruptcy as soon as the courthouses open. 

Holy fucking shit, that’s not that far off:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2024/10/10/florida-milton-emergency-insurance-rule-fraud/

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any credible reports of actual storm surge?  It feels like maybe it wasn't as bad as expected, which would be a tiny shred of good news.

Answering my own question -- looks like max storm surge was ~ 5.5 ft, so far less than expected.  The rainfall totals are insane, though, including over 18 inches in St. Petersburg.

Edited by jimmyjazz
Dumbass with units

Tampa-St Pete pretty lucky. CNN having a hard time finding real stories. Under 2M without power less than 12 hours later in an area with population over 3M.

I think CNN will soon show a reporter standing by a pool  with some knocked over lawn chairs. One on now is standing on a road that looks better and has less debris than west campus streets after a good weekend. Reporting on 18 water rescues across the state. I have seen parts of Miami flood during an afternoon rain in summer. Water does not have a lot of downhill in Florida.

Yeah, I know it is bad for a lot of people. They will move or rebuild. And fuck the Tampa Bay rays and their stadium.

Heading in to read the first batch of state reports. They come out usually in batches right before a talking head goes live on a press conference. If I see anything of impact will drop it in here unless we have another species ending event in the meantime.

Case in point on Talking head. One is saying Folks, Tornados are dangerous. No shit asshole.

Edited by InkaUtexas
CNN making a point for me.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/9/2024 at 2:14 AM, tx 3 putt said:

anyone thinking they can ride out this monster is an idiot 

Fat ugly florida woman on CNN did just fine. There will be a lot like her and others will believe. But honey, my girth means the hurricane cannot fly me away and you and the youngins just cling on to my belly fat and we can float all the way to Disney. Heck, just ride the wave and we can get in free.

21 hours ago, sidis said:

i have to be honest...i am a little bit surprised that pimphand's appearance on here has not yet shifted to space lasers controlled by "them" generating hurricanes targeting different populations. shouldn't be too much longer though.

You guys overlooked the bolded part of my post. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I thought Volcanoes would lower earth's temperature. Please double-check.

They do, but this one erupted underwater and didn’t put ash crystals into the atmosphere. I’m not propagating conspiracy theories, but highlighting the difference.

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Answering my own question -- looks like max storm surge was ~ 5.5 ft, so far less than expected.  The rainfall totals are insane, though, including over 18 ft in St. Petersburg.

Just enough for the St Augustine

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

18 inches is nothing for rain lol

Harvey dropped 50 inches of Rain of Houston in 4 days. The Memorial Day floods in Houston were widely less than 10 inches of rain, but Meyerland was basically entirely washed out. But yeah, 18 inches of rain in less than a day isn't anything. 

What is it like, being the closest thing anyone has ever seen to a Helobious? Like what does it feel like? 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, texasdago said:

Live broadcast from Tarrytown?

Guy I work with waters every day because he thinks its only fair since he lives by himself. "The family of 5 next door uses just as much water showering every day."

I think I'm going to turn him in. 

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Harvey dropped 50 inches of Rain of Houston in 4 days. The Memorial Day floods in Houston were widely less than 10 inches of rain, but Meyerland was basically entirely washed out. But yeah, 18 inches of rain in less than a day isn't anything. 

What is it like, being the closest thing anyone has ever seen to a Helobious? Like what does it feel like? 

It was more than a day and we got 60 inches of rain during 3 days of harvey, not 50

acting like 18 inches of rain in florida over almost 2 days is some sort of big deal is funny tho

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It was more than a day and we got 60 inches of rain during 3 days of harvey, not 50

acting like 18 inches of rain in florida over almost 2 days is some sort of big deal is funny tho

Choosing to die on this 18 inch hill…
GIF by Giphy QA

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Listen. I'm going to give away some amazing secret sauce here, some real pearls, so pay attention. You're currently typing at a desktop machine or a mobile device that also has access to the fucking internet, a trove of information that will retrieve you verifiable facts to support your arguments if you take the 20-30 seconds to just look it up. It can make you look a lot smarter, but at the very least WAY less stupid.

Nederland, which is a suburb of BEAUMONT, which is about 90 minutes away, set the record for rainfall in Texas, which was 60 inches. That's not Houston. 

Some reports say Houston only averaged about 40 inches of rain. But I went with the higher numbers just to give you the benefit of the doubt. Which of course was a waste of time.
https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/hurricane-harvey-by-the-numbers

In Houston, more than 50 inches of rain fell during a four-day period. That’s a little less than the annual average rainfall received in Houston.

The highest rainfall total was reported in Nederland, Texas, where 60.58 inches of rain was recorded. In Groves, Texas, 60.54" of rain was recorded.

Also, lets not just arbitrarilly cutting the time period down by 25%, from 4 days to 3, just becuase you think it makes your argument look better. Becuase smart people actually look shit up and tell the difference. 

But reading those articles brought up an interesting point, in relation to Harvey. 

The AVERAGE rainfaill for the entire state of Florida is 54 fucking inches. Now granted, what I'm pasting below is from generative AI, but it provided all of the supporting links for you. I've highlighted some key points of interest in bold:

The average annual rainfall in Florida is around 54 inches, but the amount varies by location and season: 

• Annual rainfall
    The long-term average annual rainfall in Florida is about 54.16 inches. However, the amount of rain has been stable for over 100 years. 

• Seasonal rainfall
    Florida has a wet season in the summer and a dry season in the winter. Most rain falls between June and October. In Volusia County, for example, the average monthly rainfall is 2–3 inches in the winter and 6–7 inches in the summer. 

• Regional rainfall
    The wettest parts of Florida are the Panhandle and southeastern coast, while the Florida Keys are generally drier. South Florida and the gulf have higher rainfall averages in the summer, with 8–10 inches of rain per month. 

Imagine a world where you think getting 1/3 of a state's yearly rainfall dumped on you in a 12 or even 24 hours period is "no big deal." And stop adding and removing days from your math to make yourslef look better, everyone catches your bullshit and it makes you look more of an asshole.

Most importantly, you can stop saying stupid shit. Or stop being dismissive of your stupid shit and doubling down with faced with fucking facts. Being wrong on the internet isn't that big of a deal. Being an asshole isn't uncommon. But being a dismissive asshole when faced with obvious facts that disprove your point and Hurr Durring yourself in the face of it makes you a low IQ mouth-breating asshole, and is the first step in believing someone built a hurricane machine. I'd prefer if you could just stop being dumb, but in the absence of that, how about you just stop being a cunt and keep your mouth shut 25% more of the time. After all, 25% is a pretty big fucking number when you're dealing with statistics. Fucking twat. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Local news is starting to get out and do damage surveys

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2024/10/10/not-even-2-weeks-siesta-key-first-helene-then-miltons-landfall/

Debris along Commonwealth Drive clogs the roadway after Hurricane Milton made landfall nearby Thursday, Oct. 10, 2024 in Siesta Key.

that's a neighborhood road in Tampa, which got off relatively light on flooding and (in this neighborhood at least) was about half as high as Helene

• Rage+1 1