2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

I’m really looking forward to this one. Tarpon on the fly has been near the top (if not the top) of my fishing bucket list since picking up fly fishing 20 years ago. Bones and GT round out the top three, but they’ll have to wait. Will update the fishing thread if it pans out.

I’ve caught a GT on a fly rod. And my first salt water fly experience was tarpon because I was like why not? Lol. Florida guide was not amused. Lectured me this isn’t Colorado trout fishing… fucking hooked a 50 pounder (that’s what the guide said it was) and watched it fly through the air before it dropped the fly. Since then a bunch of reds (I go to rock port about 8 times a year solo) and strangely haven’t caught a bonefish though on my GT trip I hooked and lost a few.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

Ha! I’d imagine Jim Cantore would be smart enough to not book trips to Costa Rica and Puerto Rico in back to back years, in apparently their rainy seasons. Worked out last year, minimal rain and landed some nice sailfin and roosters, but the forecast isn’t looking so good this year!

Btw are you on the fishing thread? If not you need to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Was thinking about what to do for Father's Day. Kids are grown up so I can do whatever I want. Might head on down to the coast. Anyone know where there is a blue shed?

I know where there was one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

The Space City Weather guys seem to think this one is going to get sucked more towards Mexico or South Texas. 

All south Texas needs the rain. Hopefully it makes it inland some 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On a related note (crossposting from Port Aransas thread)

When we arrived at Port A on Monday, my niece and her husband were 30 miles south on Padre Island. She took this pic - it was one of three in the vicinity that day…

IMG_0937.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Never do the i10 evacuation again 

I’ll got the long way through Victoria or something 

I got to 1-10 on BW8 West from Friendswood before Rita.

In 9 hours.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, WBT said:

Should do 35 through Bay City then 111 through Yoakum and 183 up to Luling

I went down to El Campo before Rita to help my in-laws secure and board up their house, then tried coming back to Austin that back way.  It sucked almost as bad as the main roads. Took me 8 hours to get home.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, WBT said:

Should do 35 through Bay City then 111 through Yoakum and 183 up to Luling

victoria, goliad, Neville, 37, goto SA or family ranch in Jim wells 

goliad has a brand new Texan 

Curious if it forms up into a TS 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I went down to El Campo before Rita to help my in-laws secure and board up their house, then tried coming back to Austin that back way.  It sucked almost as bad as the main roads. Took me 8 hours to get home.  

Huh, I left coastal Brazoria County for Rita following that route and it only took about an hour more than usual to get to the parent's place outside of Wimberley.

But the key message is never head toward Houston when evacuating.

Edited by WBT

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

victoria, goliad, Neville, 37, goto SA or family ranch in Jim wells 

goliad has a brand new Texan 

Curious if it forms up into a TS 

The Texan is a great idea, starting a mini bucee’s but their stuff is even more overpriced and the food sucks.  

I know we shit all over the rate of road construction (mostly rightfully so), but y’all do realize Rita was 20 fucking years ago, right?  There has been a shit ton of road expansion since then.  Ike was only a few years later and it was a relatively easy evacuation primarily just due to better logistics/planning/messaging. 

45 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The Texan is a great idea, starting a mini bucee’s but their stuff is even more overpriced and the food sucks.  

they make a good club sandwich, only thing I’ve bought there 

22 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I know we shit all over the rate of road construction (mostly rightfully so), but y’all do realize Rita was 20 fucking years ago, right?  There has been a shit ton of road expansion since then.  Ike was only a few years later and it was a relatively easy evacuation primarily just due to better logistics/planning/messaging. 

More people saying ‘fuck it, I’m riding it out’

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

my brother in law is a former meteorologist and says this could be the one. he's got one model he's looking at that has 10 inches plus in Cen Tex - bullseye of 14 inches - he's not betting on that model or any at this point but says this is as close as we've gotten to a lake filling opportunity as we've had in the last 3-4 years. Screen shot of what he sent my wife:

IMG_0029.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

far fewer people evacuated

Rita was such a clusterfuck because people were scared from Katrina.  Despite not living below sea level.

After Rita turned and the Houston area got nothing, they swung back to thinking they'll never evacuate again. 

People are dumb.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, WBT said:

far fewer people evacuated

Rita was such a clusterfuck because people were scared from Katrina.  Despite not living below sea level.

After Rita turned and the Houston area got nothing, they swung back to thinking they'll never evacuate again. 

People are dumb.

Yep most Houston people do not need to evacuate. It’s cool if you want to get out but do it a few days earlier. Much easier in todays world with more WFH options.

46 minutes ago, troph said:

my brother in law is a former meteorologist and says this could be the one. he's got one model he's looking at that has 10 inches plus in Cen Tex - bullseye of 14 inches - he's not betting on that model or any at this point but says this is as close as we've gotten to a lake filling opportunity as we've had in the last 3-4 years. Screen shot of what he sent my wife:

IMG_0029.jpeg

So the San Marcos river floods by Sunday?

OK, will get all my fishing in before then.

When do I water my lawn to make sure this happens?