2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

9 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m flying back from Scottsdale to Corpus Christi through Houston Hobby on Thursday. I’m fucked. I got stuck at Hobby for almost 72 hours in either the tax or Memorial Day flood. It was not fun.

that is the worst airport in the country to get stuck in. atrociously bad airport.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

that is the worst airport in the country to get stuck in. atrociously bad airport.

Hobby? I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite airport, but I’ve never thought of it as being atrociously bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Hobby? I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite airport, but I’ve never thought of it as being atrociously bad.

I haven't been to Hobby in years, but usually smaller airports are much better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I haven't been to Hobby in years, but usually smaller airports are much better.

the food options are terrible. it's papas at ridiculous prices, that's about it. almost no extra creature comforts. we are always on SWA through Hobby so I don't know what if any lounges are there. It's the worst airport I've ever had to deal with.

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The dates on that first graphic wrong? That's next week. 

Crap thank you.  
Either a typo, or the next storm behind this one they’ve been discussing.

3 minutes ago, troph said:

the food options are terrible. it's papas at ridiculous prices, that's about it. almost no extra creature comforts. we are always on SWA through Hobby so I don't know what if any lounges are there. It's the worst airport I've ever had to deal with.

FWIW, Pappas lost their lease a year ago so there haven’t been any Pappas restaurants at Hobby since last May. I mainly fly UA so don’t normally use HOU, but it’s never really bothered me on the occasions that I’ve used, but I live in Houston so I’m in/out and it’s super easy from that perspective. I find airports like DEN, LAX, etc to be a much more miserable experience.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, troph said:

Damn, ive been to much much worse airports.

also, i fly almost exclusively outta hobby and from skycap outside to gate is almost always less than 8-10 min

theres no other airport in the us with 50 gates that i know of that is that easy to get around/in-and-out of

• Like 1

Seriously, from door to gate is usually 10 minutes with TSA Pre-Check and no checked bags. If you want an airport with minimal time having to be inside, Hobby is good for that. 

Posted (edited)

I was talking about being stuck at hobby not getting in and out on time quickly. I’m also majorly biased due to food poisoning at that fucking pappascito’s and it didn’t hit me until I got on the plane and threw up 5-6 times violently into a fucking trashbag. Fuck hobby. Fuck papas. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I was talking about being stuck at hobby not getting in and out on time quickly. I’m also majorly biased due to food poisoning at that fucking pappascito’s and it didn’t hit me until I got on the plane and threw up 5-5 times violently into a fucking trashbag. Fuck hobby. Fuck papas. 

I was speaking with the owner of Interstellar Barbecue who used to own Noble Pig and has franchised out the Noble Pig at the airport. Airports don't allow restaurants to use their own vendors. They must use airport approved vendors with limited choices. This means that the food quality at airports will be different from the food quality at offsite restaurants.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Only way the lakes fill up at this point is a flood. Sorry. 

"Texas is a land of perennial drought, broken by the occasional devastating flood." - State Meteorologist, National Weather Service in 1927

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, texasdago said:

It wasn't about sea level.  Rita was a beast...

"After entering the Gulf of Mexico, Rita rapidly intensified over the very warm waters of the loop current and within an environment of very weak vertical wind shear. Rita reached a peak intensity of category 5 with sustained winds of 180 mph (155 knots) and a minimum pressure of 895 millibars (26.43 inches) at 10 PM CDT September 21st. This low pressure makes Rita the strongest hurricane every recorded in the Gulf of Mexico, and 4th strongest in the Atlantic Basin.

https://www.weather.gov/lch/rita_main

It was heading towards Houston until about 20 hours before landfall and then it took that right turn into LA and hit as a Cat 3.  

We stayed home... I remember what a cluster it was but Rita was a massive hurricane.

Some offshore platforms found fish on some of the upper decks above the main deck, ~ 110 feet above the water line.

I flew into IAH from SLC before they closed the airport. Very eerie feeling, dropping under the clouds, and no signs of life anywhere on the ground, no cars, no people. Only people at the airport were the National Guard, with weapons ready.

My SLC colleagues were concerned I was going into a hurricane. I advised them, don't ever confuse Texas with Louisiana, or New Orleans with Houston. More important, New Orleans is below sea level, Katy is 100+ feet.

Posted (edited)

Per a chemical plant contact who’s job is hurricane preparedness - he was told this shouldn’t get to hurricane strength. Winds will top out around 50 mph. Expect the biggest tropical storm ever, massive rain fall. They’re making plans on people not being able to make it to work and what not 

Edited by tx 3 putt