2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Furk.  This one sure seems to be barreling towards "worst case scenario" real quick.  Hitting THE major Fla. west coast population center in the worst possible alignment....10 days or so after one of the top-5 deadliest and most expensive hurricanes to hit the US.  Yeah, FEMA's warning of "ummm, if we have another big storm, our funding is gonna be fucked" is coming to fruition.  No bueno.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

19e38bb7-61ee-4163-bae4-b938b4719056.png

Florida man: "AIN'T NO GUBMINT GONNA MAKE ME LEAVE MY HOUSE!"

Also Florida man, 3 days from now: "WHERE IS THE GUBMINT?!  I NEED RESCUE AND FOOD AND WATER AND A NICE PLACE TO STAY!"

Like.  Clockwork.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 5

2 hours ago, immamac said:

is this thing going to continue intensifying? this is pretty wild. 

Likely . Next recon flights will not depart until 4pm for noaa and 5pm for air force . Will take an hour to get into the system at least .

So until then a updates are done by satellite estimates .

But there's nothing in the path really at this time to cause it to weaken . 

It will cause itself to weaken briefly possible later today IF an eye wall replacement cycle occurs (likely since the eye is only 9miles across now which is very tiny). As the ewrc occurs the storm will expand in size also ...

It also hasn't hit the warm loop current of the gulf yet that's in its path .

Last drop about an hour ago recorded 912mbar. Which is just outside the top 10 strongest hurricane in history . And around 175 mph winds 

It's very likely Melton bombs out to close to 900mbar and winds around 185+

I've posted here before that I work for a large rental agency in SWFL... Hurricane Ian was the equivalent to a humanitarian crisis two years ago. To this day I tell people the two weeks after that storm were the most stressful two weeks of my professional career. Trying to locate staff, make sure guests and tenants were accounted for... trying to find accommodations for people that had a roof, running water and electricity... it was hell. Absolute hell.

And here we go with part two... 800+ occupied rental homes is going to make the next two weeks hell, again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

At work now in Naples, house is far enough inland that storm surge won't be an issue. Condo in St Pete is on 2nd floor overlooking Boca Ciega Bay, first floor was good during Helene so not expecting any water issues from Milton. 

Set a ring camera up over the bay with battery backup so will try to post updates:

8:45 Monday nice and calm

image.thumb.png.59a73f8251bbc140bc41f2e6b2466ced.png

Looking like a whole different ball game this time for you . That camera would sure be interesting to watch in the next 72 hours 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Florida man: "AIN'T NO GUBMINT GONNA MAKE ME LEAVE MY HOUSE!"

Also Florida man, 3 days from now: "WHERE IS THE GUBMINT?!  I NEED RESCUE AND FOOD AND WATER AND A NICE PLACE TO STAY!"

Like.  Clockwork.

"It's not THAT the wind is blowin', it's WHAT the wind is blowin'"

~Ron White

That's a strong tornado plus storm surge that will last for a few hours instead of minutes.  There won't be much of anything left.  For reference, Harvey had 130 mph winds and it absolutely wrecked shit.

Edited by kevwun

14 minutes ago, kevwun said:

That's about the most dire warning possible.  I don't think they will have to worry much about rescue efforts, most folks who try to ride it out are gonna die.

Could have used "grab a permanent marker and write your name and DOB on your leg" but yeah

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The hurricane coming to florida behind milton gonna really be something

Don't joke ..there's a potential of another popping up from the same area in a week ....

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Could have used "grab a permanent marker and write your name and DOB on your leg" but yeah

That was Katrina ....yea ...

This should pretty much finish off homeowners insurance in Florida, right?  No national agencies will do business there and the local ones will be wiped out (literally and financially).

Edited by kevwun
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, locodos said:

I would just like to report in that I have already become a victim of Hurricane Milton.   I made the mistake of trying to swing by Costco at lunch...  I didn't really think about the storm impact till I saw the mile long line for gas. 

arrested-development-season1.gif

In Broward (outside of the cone of death) Costco is OUT of water.  I was there to pick up a set of bedsheets, some wine and a few snacks.

Fun fact, you can turn wine into water by drinking it and then peeing into a filtration device. 

• Haha 5

Haven’t insurance companies already been telling folks that they won’t insure in Florida anymore?
Depends on the company. Some were coming back as the previous season hadn't been as bad as predicted.

However, the state back insurance system Citizens will insure you if you can't find one.

21 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

image.png.a5dafa7e8103c89ec18a1fae0b0e259f.png

"Fifty percent of the population lives on ground elevations less than ten feet."

So.  That's sub-optimal.  Half of a major metro area is gonna be rendered functionally homeless.  We don't have enough FEMA trailers in this whole country to handle that.  Nevermind the demand for temporary housing Helene created.  Every functioning hotel/rental property within 200 miles is going to end up being a long-term gov't paid FEMA shelter.

Almost my entire extended family (my side and my wife's) is in the Tampa area right now (Wesley Chapel and Zephyrhills). They're out of the storm surge area, but my nephew has been in the hospital downtown for the better part of the month.  Luckily they're planning on releasing him tomorrow, God willing.  

Funny enough, my father is actually here with us in MN though, having flown in- very reluctantly- yesterday as has been planned for a few months.  My mom convinced him to go- I think she'll be less stressed without him.  Poor dude is nervous as hell though, and I don't blame him.  We'll try to keep him distracted.  He's supposed to go back with my son on Friday, but I'm guessing that's 50/50 at best.

• Hook 'Em 7

38 minutes ago, markstanco said:

No clue, but flood insurance is funded by the government. 

Calling Truist now to see what the fuck they've been funding out of my escrow!  How VERY dare they!

38 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Fun fact, you can turn wine into water by drinking it and then peeing into a filtration device. 

The old reverse Jesus!

One regret I have in life is that Monroe County in the early 90s had produced a flier on official hurricane preparedness.  It was sort of half assed redneck county incompetence codified.  One of the bullets was how many cases of beer you needed per adult.  I laughed at those morons and threw it away.  Turns out I'm the moron, I should have had that framed.  I think about it every year.

Edited by locodos
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Isn't there some money on St Armand's Island and along the coast in Sarasota?  Looks like that area gonna get fucking destroyed.  

Naples to Clearwater on the beach or bays are all pretty swanky.  Save maybe Pine Island / Cape Coral