2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

We got my mom and sister to evacuate Houston ahead of Rita.  They sat in traffic for 19 hours to get to Tyler.  After that, they were like Quin ("I'll never put on a life jacket again").  She rode out Ike and had no power for 3 weeks.  When Harvey flooded Houston, my mom had to be evacuated from her street by fire truck. 

Their respective philosophies were that it would be too difficult to get back into town to take care of their homes after the storm danger passed.  It's dumb, but then again, riding out a hurricane in west Houston isn't like riding one out on the coast.  That said, if I still lived there, and having ridden out Alicia as a kid, I wouldn't stick around for any of it.  Grab the wife, kids, hard drives with the family photos, the dogs, and a couple of guitars and bug out.  It's just stuff.

Rita was a few weeks after Katrina, and it was the only time I remember being scared of a hurricane when I was younger (25ish). We saw the chaos of the evacuation and opted to stay put. Ironically, the morning before it was supposd to hit, and it looked like it turned, the freeways were wide fucking open and contra flow, so I opeted at the last minute to evacuate Houston for Austin and made it there in like 2 hours. Because why take a chance? Of course, I probably passed a  hundred cars stalled out and abandoned on the side of the freeways. After the Rita fiasco, by Ike, I'd resorted to typical youthful invulnerability.

At this point, in my neighborhood and my experience, I don't see much of a need to evacuate Houston, but I absolutely would for a category 4 or 5 becuase, as you said, why the fuck not? Even with a generator. 

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.477a03e6b400a59ab27ab3f8fd190e69.png

Needs Immamac in a bathing suit tossing his hair back in the middle of the street, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Rita was a few weeks after Katrina, and it was the only time I remember being scared of a hurricane when I was younger (25ish). We saw the chaos of the evacuation and opted to stay put. Ironically, the morning before it was supposd to hit, and it looked like it turned, the freeways were wide fucking open and contra flow, so I opeted at the last minute to evacuate Houston for Austin and made it there in like 2 hours. Because why take a chance? Of course, I probably passed a  hundred cars stalled out and abandoned on the side of the freeways. After the Rita fiasco, by Ike, I'd resorted to typical youthful invulnerability.

At this point, in my neighborhood and my experience, I don't see much of a need to evacuate Houston, but I absolutely would for a category 4 or 5 becuase, as you said, why the fuck not? Even with a generator. 

Needs Immamac in a bathing suit tossing his hair back in the middle of the street, imo. 

Rita also was a monster storm.  My sister's ex-husband did the same thing.  He waited until the morning of landfall and leisurely drove to Austin.  Of course, Rita turned and smacked Orange, leaving Houston barely damp.  But the ultimate futility and hassle of evacuating for that storm left a lot of people with the idea that they'd rather stay put, illogical though it may be.  We finally got my mom to move up here.  My sister still likes to spit in the face of peril and, soon, will have a generator so her food won't spoil in 100+ mph winds.  I'd definitely spring for one if I still lived there.

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

I have a good friend in Palmetto. His in laws have a house on the intracoastal somewhere between your condo and Clearwater. I’ve been there, but I was too drunk to remember where exactly. 

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

this completely nails what I hate about Florida. My grandparents lived in Pompano Beach. There was zero feeling of community uniting people. Just haves vs have nots. Maybe central or northern Florida has better vibes.

Northern Florida, famous for good vibes.

3 hours ago, choripan said:

Be safe man. I really hope this is a remote-in to your cam and not "hey, I'm posted up here with 60 Busch Lattes and a Yeti let's rock and roll."

Dunno what a Busch Latte is, but Do. Not. Want.

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.477a03e6b400a59ab27ab3f8fd190e69.png

Every single Boomer on Facebook: "love it! 🤣🤣 so bless! take care, love Aunt Pat"

• Haha 5

I have some in-laws in the Tampa Bay area.  They own one of those houses on a canal system.  I was happy to hear they were planning to evacuate to a 2nd home in Kentucky, but as of midnight last night, they hadn't been able to get out and were planning to leave "in the morning".  I don't know if they are going to be able to get out of Florida, but I hope they can get to some shelter on high ground at least.

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, troph said:

And hey just fyi @Herbie Hancock is a solid guy. I’d give him the middle finger Johnny cash style for something or many things maybe but not last night. There’s a thread for climate change and there’s a hurricane geek thread and I did kinda cross those up - and I'm not apologizing for being really torn up about back to back majors, what happened to NC and what the Florida Man and Euros are in store for. And for the rest of his post, I took no offense, it's easy to tell who is a real asshole on this board, he's def not one. Now call me a JAG and I’ll fuck each and everyone of you bitches up. 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Rita was absolutely one to evacuate for.  If it hadn't taken that last minute jag it would have fucked Houston up.

Oh shit.....

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Dafuq is a JAG?

Not  gonna Google it.

football term - just another guy* what BrickTop said.

*meant as gender neutral.

Bitch, I'm special, FIVE star holla. ha.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Looks like people are listening.

Yep.  This has real Katrina - Rita vibes from 2005.

Two back-to-back major-ass storms (not a common thing, last happened nearly 20 years ago).

First storm does epic and catastrophic damage, getting national attention and wide-eyed "HOLY SHIT" from anyone paying attention.

Second storm comes along, and authorities say "this one looks as bad as the first storm, maybe worse."

People rightly remember the fresh lesson - from literally days before - of the ass-kicking administered by the first storm, and say "Fuck that shit, I'm outta here."

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  This has real Katrina - Rita vibes from 2005.

Two back-to-back major-ass storms (not a common thing, last happened nearly 20 years ago).

First storm does epic and catastrophic damage, getting national attention and wide-eyed "HOLY SHIT" from anyone paying attention.

Second storm comes along, and authorities say "this one looks as bad as the first storm, maybe worse."

People rightly remember the fresh lesson - from literally days before - of the ass-kicking administered by the first storm, and say "Fuck that shit, I'm outta here."

I remember the Delta variant, too