2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

6 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Please, for yourself, and family & friends, slowly push away from the table, find a quiet place and take a few deep breaths. Life is short and precious, and much better when enjoyed. 

Quoting for truth.  Ultimately you can’t just doom scroll all day and be healthy mentally.  Get away from the computer for a while.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Good thread, and I don't want to derail it.

TLDR, or if you read it, a simple like or a fuck you will suffice.

My wife came home from work last night and said a co-worker stormed out of work, with a parting comment of "I'm going to kill myself."

Fuck!!! My biggest dilemma was what time can I leave for Dallas Friday?

There is so much shit in the world, in no particular order; our polarized political leadership, Ukraine, Israel and their neighbors, etc., a constant barrage of extreme weather events and the hardships they bring, corporate greed run amuck, social upheavals, daily mass shootings, and so many personal things that make so many feel that life is not worth living.

Please, for yourself, and family & friends, slowly push away from the table, find a quiet place and take a few deep breaths. Life is short and precious, and much better when enjoyed. 

I generally agree. But with no grandkids on the horizon, I bought some really nice guitars. I don't play, just listen and watch. One good thing about having all the shit around is it helps me remember all the things about all the shit. It is also evidence of a lifetime of experiences.

I had been working in SLC leading up to Rita and cut my trip short to fly home to Katy. My colleagues said don't go there, you saw what Katrina did. I had to get home first, to the wife and kids, before I did anything else.

Katrina & Rita, similar situations, but different. Similar w/ a massive hurricanes barreling down on a large coastal city. Different? Don't ever equate Louisiana w/ Texas or Houston (Katy) w/ New Orleans. New Orleans is below sea level, like a bathtub surrounded by water, and people choose to live there. 'Nuff said?  

In SE Texas, it made sense for people in low lying area's and proximate to the water to leave.  More than half our neighborhood, and a lot of Houston, evacuated. Why? Our neighbors, because they wanted to, and had a place to go. For a lot of people, they evacuated because they had to and were just trying to get to a safer place. For many, the evacuation was a bigger disaster than the hurricane, as it brought the trauma right smack into their personal lives.

When I got to Houston, the streets were empty and the airport was closed. We were one of the last incoming flights, everybody was gone from the airport but a skeleton crew and the national guard, w/ weapons. All the gas stations along the way were already out of gas. I was an O&G executive, and could not get gas from the energy capital and largest refining complex in the world. WTF?

I drove to the west side, but didn't have enough diesel to make it home. A wrecker driver kindly told of a station that had some.  I had to ask a family that had evacuated, w/ young kids in a car packed to the gills, to move their car so I could get some diesel to feed by F-250 and go home to take care of my family, in a safe, dry place.

It was very surreal, for many reasons, the contrast in lives and livelyhoods, a realization of where I came from and where I was. The reality that so many normal people, when put in an uncomfortable or stressful situation, will make poor decisions (not yoga practitoneers).

Troph, your "40 year" comment hit a nerve (my lasts semester at UT). 

My family continued a cycle that has existed since Columbus and the explorers. The 1st generation struggled for survival and a simple existence, giving the 2nd generation a chance to learn a trade, a carpenter, a teacher, a doctor, etc, so the 3rd generation has freedom of choice, to be an artist, a musician, a thinker, a poet, and the cycle repeats.

I'm the second generation, both parents raised on the farm, moved to the city. I gave plasma every week my last semester, because $10/wk was meaningful, "Do I buy gas or eat?", and I got orange juice and cookies. In one generation, we went from middle lower class to middle upper class, lived in Oklahoma 3 different times (both kids born in there, on Texas soil), Louisiana and Colorado (Yes!!!). 

Now, I'm retired in the Hill Country, posting on message boards, making bank, and getting ready for OU.

And collectively, we, My Generation of Boomers, are the reason for the worlds ills.

Sorry, but I think I paid my dues and have a hard time accepting that elevating and providing for my family the best way I know how was a bad thing.

I don't think it is so much what we are doing is so bad, but the reality that there are so, so many people doing it, and the cumulative affect to provide for all that is not sustainable.

This was beautiful, insightful..... I read it as if i was reading Kerouac.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, heso said:

Unfortunately that new track takes it directly over my friends house and his wife’s business. 

We have a friend in Bradenton and I'm texting him that he has to make his own decision but if he gas and supplies, he needs to GTFO.  He would have a place to stay in Wellington on the other side... I hope he packs up and goes while there's time.  

20 minutes ago, PTINS said:

My wife came home from work last night and said a co-worker stormed out of work, with a parting comment of "I'm going to kill myself."

There is so much shit in the world, in no particular order; our polarized political leadership, Ukraine, Israel and their neighbors, etc., a constant barrage of extreme weather events and the hardships they bring, corporate greed run amuck, social upheavals, daily mass shootings, and so many personal things that make so many feel that life is not worth living.

I generally agree. But with no grandkids on the horizon, I bought some really nice guitars. I don't play, just listen and watch. One good thing about having all the shit around is it helps me remember all the things about all the shit. It is also evidence of a lifetime of experiences.

I had been working in SLC leading up to Rita and cut my trip short to fly home to Katy. My colleagues said don't go there, you saw what Katrina did. I had to get home first, to the wife and kids, before I did anything else.

Katrina & Rita, similar situations, but different. Similar w/ a massive hurricanes barreling down on a large coastal city. Different? Don't ever equate Louisiana w/ Texas or Houston (Katy) w/ New Orleans. New Orleans is below sea level, like a bathtub surrounded by water, and people choose to live there. 'Nuff said?  

In SE Texas, it made sense for people in low lying area's and proximate to the water to leave.  More than half our neighborhood, and a lot of Houston, evacuated. Why? Our neighbors, because they wanted to, and had a place to go. For a lot of people, they evacuated because they had to and were just trying to get to a safer place. For many, the evacuation was a bigger disaster than the hurricane, as it brought the trauma right smack into their personal lives.

When I got to Houston, the streets were empty and the airport was closed. We were one of the last incoming flights, everybody was gone from the airport but a skeleton crew and the national guard, w/ weapons. All the gas stations along the way were already out of gas. I was an O&G executive, and could not get gas from the energy capital and largest refining complex in the world. WTF?

I drove to the west side, but didn't have enough diesel to make it home. A wrecker driver kindly told of a station that had some.  I had to ask a family that had evacuated, w/ young kids in a car packed to the gills, to move their car so I could get some diesel to feed by F-250 and go home to take care of my family, in a safe, dry place.

It was very surreal, for many reasons, the contrast in lives and livelyhoods, a realization of where I came from and where I was. The reality that so many normal people, when put in an uncomfortable or stressful situation, will make poor decisions (not yoga practitoneers).

My family continued a cycle that has existed since Columbus and the explorers. The 1st generation struggled for survival and a simple existence, giving the 2nd generation a chance to learn a trade, a carpenter, a teacher, a doctor, etc, so the 3rd generation has freedom of choice, to be an artist, a musician, a thinker, a poet, and the cycle repeats.

I'm the second generation, both parents raised on the farm, moved to the city. I gave plasma every week my last semester, because $10/wk was meaningful, "Do I buy gas or eat?", and I got orange juice and cookies. In one generation, we went from middle lower class to middle upper class, lived in Oklahoma 3 different times (both kids born in there, on Texas soil), Louisiana and Colorado (Yes!!!). 

Now, I'm retired in the Hill Country, posting on message boards, making bank, and getting ready for OU.

And collectively, we, My Generation of Boomers, are the reason for the worlds ills.

Sorry, but I think I paid my dues and have a hard time accepting that elevating and providing for my family the best way I know how was a bad thing.

I don't think it is so much what we are doing is so bad, but the reality that there are so, so many people doing it, and the cumulative affect to provide for all that is not sustainable.

I had no intention of calling out any individual and by the way when I said Gen Z is mad that's at ME too. it's a tragedy of the commons issue, so you are correct on individual person is at fault. but having gen z kids on several but very infrequent basis actually say to us (my wife and I) that our generation and the ones before have fucked them over is a very hard thing to hear. but to them, it's 100% true. and as a collective society, it's hard to argue. then you watch a hurricane season like this one and it just fucks with my head.

15 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Quoting for truth.  Ultimately you can’t just doom scroll all day and be healthy mentally.  Get away from the computer for a while.  

I wasn't talking about doom scrolling, my experience on the ledge was a severe case of covid that fucked me up big time.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I recommend "Silent Running".

Made 50 years ago. We knew, we always knew what was coming.

…and Bruce Dern finally got to be a good guy.  One of a few people who successfully killed John Wayne in a movie?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, heso said:

Current track spares Tampa from the storm surge.

0e161247f8de69539301751ac29be35c.jpg

This subtle shift, if it holds, likely saves billions of dollars in damages to Tampa. Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Everyone has a hard time accepting their responsibility in various ills in this world, both large and small. You want an example? Look at kids and their relationships with their parents. Your/Our parents may have thought belting kids who misbehaved or talked back was normal, and instilled discipline, and was in the long run good for the kid's future. Check back in a couple decades...and that's a pretty traumitizing thing for a number of kids. Or other children who had parents dismiss their emotions and say "suck it up, kid" have left vast swaths of kids emotionally distant with their parents and dont feel like they can even interact with their parents. And how many of those boomers can look back and say "Man, my actions may have had unintended consequences I didn't see at the time" on one hand while still saying "Man, I thought I was doing the best I could at the time." 

It's a pretty difficult balance between "I am not going to feel bad for providing for my family as best as possible and won't view how I did it as bad" and "Man, I did the best I could and didn't know a better way."  Arguably that mental block humans all suffer from is a instinctive reflex that has allowed this species to survive and thrive. Because we can't/don't accept accountability for shit. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My entire work team lives in Tampa. 90% overall of my work colleagues are in the area as that was our HQ until we got bought out by big corp a couple of years ago. On my direct team I oversee, 3 of 4 are evacuating. It took one guy and his family 4 hours to get to Ocala this morning. As for the guy that is staying, I'm not getting much info out of him as to why. I'm not sure if he's in an evacuation zone or not. One of the guys who is leaving is in zone B and he said as of this morning A, B and C were mandatory evac zones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree that Houston overreacted with Rita. Mainly it was due to the the reported horrors of NOLA and the Superdome. Everyone thought Houston would resemble Mad Max if they were stuck.

Well Houston was spared a lot of impact when it wobbled east and basically wiped Cameron LA of the map. 100 miles to the west and shit Would have been bad.

It uncharteristically moved Northwest and did a lot of damage NW of Houston. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Well Houston was spared a lot of impact when it wobbled east and basically wiped Cameron LA of the map. 100 miles to the west and shit Would have been bad.

Yeah, would it have been as bad as Katrina? Propably not. That being said what Cat 1 Beryl did to our infrastructure makes me skeptical AF it would have been fine. Perhaps it really was the last 12+ years since Ike that Centerpoint has really let things go to shit. But people also forget just how badly Rita fucked up the sabine pass. 

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Northeast?

1 hour ago, heso said:

Current track spares Tampa from the storm surge.

0e161247f8de69539301751ac29be35c.jpg

"Current track spares Tampa from the storm surge." I don't think so.

Tampa may not get hit head on, but a hurricane 200 miles in diameter cuts a swath ~ 200 miles in diameter, and pushes a huge layer of water well beyond that. That is a storm surge 1,000's of square miles in area spread across the Florida's west coast, up to 15 feet high, but gradually tapering to a few feet, hundreds of miles away.

Milton will push water into the bay well before the eye makes landfall.

152937.png

152937_peak_surge.png

This pic shows a 150 mile path across Florida, generally along the forecast track of Milton. Milton has moved ~ 250 miles in the past 24 hours, roughly 10 miles/hour. The entire area across Florida is forecast to have hurricane force winds at the same time, for an extended period.  

image.png.ce4f7fd359fb566607b614bcb1711068.png

Below is the elevation profile of that path. The fact that the 2 peaks represent 2 highways tells you everything you need to know about Milton and Florida, that Milton will go through and across Florida "like shit through a goose."

image.png.9f93592d5588a3737c9133363ab68b9b.png

What's it going to look like when it gets to the Atlantic? 

Helene hit Valdosta, GA with 90+ mph winds 70 miles from the coast, and Augusta with 69 mph wind gusts 250 miles inland, crossing a 350' elevation. Odd are we will have Milton 2.0 on the east coast.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, would it have been as bad as Katrina? Propably not. That being said what Cat 1 Beryl did to our infrastructure makes me skeptical AF it would have been fine. Perhaps it really was the last 12+ years since Ike that Centerpoint has really let things go to shit. But people also forget just how badly Rita fucked up the sabine pass. 

Rita came ashore as a Cat3.  Had it been a direct hit on Houston (even if reduced to a Cat1 by the time it made its way inland), it would have fucked things up good and proper just like Alicia did.  That sucker was a 5 and 4 for a good portion of its run across the gulf.  Ike came straight up the ship channel IIRC and maintained Cat2 status.

Edited by dcbc

51 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Rita came ashore as a Cat3.  Had it been a direct hit on Houston (even if reduced to a Cat1 by the time it made its way inland), it would have fucked things up good and proper just like Alicia did.  That sucker was a 5 and 4 for a good portion of its run across the gulf.  Ike came straight up the ship channel IIRC and maintained Cat2 status.

Not to worry, the Ike Dike will be funded and built in just a few short centuries.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

I had no intention of calling out any individual and by the way when I said Gen Z is mad that's at ME too. it's a tragedy of the commons issue, so you are correct on individual person is at fault. but having gen z kids on several but very infrequent basis actually say to us (my wife and I) that our generation and the ones before have fucked them over is a very hard thing to hear. but to them, it's 100% true. and as a collective society, it's hard to argue. then you watch a hurricane season like this one and it just fucks with my head.

I wasn't talking about doom scrolling, my experience on the ledge was a severe case of covid that fucked me up big time.

Well you just tell your Gen Z'rs that they are just going to have to unfuck our fuckery and that they had better get after it because our fuckery is ongoing and isn't going to unfuck itself.  Fuckers. 

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everything in New Orleans between Lake Pontchartrain through the French Quarter and to the bank of the Mississippi River, is basically at sea level. The River itself is ~70 river miles from the Gulf, and ~20-50 feet above sea level.  When you stand on a ship in the river and look over the dike, you are looking down into the City of New Orleans, at sea level, 20+ feet below the river level.

When the 10+ foot Katrina storm surge filled Lake Pontchartrain ~ 10 feet above sea level, it was well above the city elevation, some of the dikes failed, and water poured into the low lying areas in and around New Orleans. 

Houston will flood along the bays and bayous and lower elevations, but nothing like New Orleans.

The flooding from Harvey's rainfall was different than any hurricane related storm surge.

12 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Everything in New Orleans between Lake Pontchartrain through the French Quarter and to the bank of the Mississippi River, is basically at sea level. The River itself is ~70 river miles from the Gulf, and ~20-50 feet above sea level.  When you stand on a ship in the river and look over the dike, you are looking down into the City of New Orleans, at sea level, 20+ feet below the river level.

When the 10+ foot Katrina storm surge filled Lake Pontchartrain ~ 10 feet above sea level, it was well above the city elevation, some of the dikes failed, and water poured into the low lying areas in and around New Orleans. 

Houston will flood along the bays and bayous and lower elevations, but nothing like New Orleans.

The flooding from Harvey's rainfall was different than any hurricane related storm surge.

I'm fully aware man, I've lived in Houston for 40 of my almost 45 years on this earth, and through all of that. When I say Rita would have fucked up Houston, I meant the wind and infrastructure.. Hence my reference to Beryl. A derecho in may and a cat 1 in july had me without power for 20 days total this summer.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Puh-lease! Stop!!!

Sounds like the average SEC honk. "Whatever I see for the first time in my life is the greatest, biggest, fastest, longest, hardest, prettiest, bestest, worstest, thing ever!"

Category 5 already means GET THE FUCK OUT!!!

Not to shit on Milton, but here is the last photo.

32 minutes ago, bolverk said:

image.thumb.png.c8335b5310d4e672b5f71f1f1fc0cbbd.png

My mantra for 40 years, "The Trend is your friend." The "Forecasted path" shown? 

"I'm not seeing it. I don't get it."

image.png.231ddb4593c9dbf080131117608e881e.png

Here is a photo of Hurricane Allen in 1980, with 200+ mph winds.  The Yucatan Peninsula is 600+ miles to the Texas Coast. We are all very fortunate it made landfall ~ 100 miles south of Brownsville. Except for those in Mexico.

Not a big mystery where the eye was.

I remember a few Darwin candidates in Austin wanting to drive to the coast so they could see a hurricane.

19800808-2230Z-1kmVIS.jpg