2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

i guess they’ll be retiring ‘milton’ 

When you burst on the storm scene and blow up the way he has, you gotta give him his propers. One of the fastest to reach cat 5 of all time!  First ballot, Barry sanders type career. 

send it to the rafters now, no need to wait for the aftermath. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

really? Admittedly Ive only been to Southern florida a handful of times-Fort Meyers once, Miami/Keys just like 2-3. We've done family vacations to Melbourne Beach for probably the last 25 years now and Ive never gotten the sense of elitist in that area. we like MB because it isn't exactly swanky/full of tourists and our hotel has a balcony on the beach so we know the area(roads, restaurants) pretty well. Maybe its a central Florida thing vs southern.

Although this year our family vacation may happen over Christmas time vs normally easter and we may go further south since its a little warmer than central florida for that time of year

Same. I was stationed almost 9 years in Florida. Built a house near cocoa beach. Lived in Tampa for the last 4 coaching pop warner. Have 3 kids in D1 today from that team.   I’ve never ran into a single issue that dude whining about Naples said.   But it’s his own fault. Naples is basically New Jersey and New Jersey is the dig shit of the country.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Haha, Gibsonton.

Apparently that place is awesome.

Gibsonton was famous as a sideshow wintering town,[5] where various people in the carnival and circus businesses would spend the off season, placing it near the winter home for the Ringling Brothers Circus at Tampa, Sarasota and Venice in various times.[6] It was home to Percilla the Monkey Girl, the Anatomical Wonder, and the Lobster Boy. Siamese twin sisters ran a fruit stand here. At one time, it was the only post office with a counter for dwarfs. Aside from the agreeable winter climate, Gibsonton offered unique circus zoning laws that allowed residents to keep elephants and circus trailers on their front lawns.

• Like 1

My cousin lives in Sarasota. He said he and his neighbor put up their hurricane shutters and are planning to stay. They are about 7 miles inland as the crow flies so they are going to ride it out. 

I'd be leaving if I was him.

3 hours ago, troph said:

I wasn't talking about doom scrolling, my experience on the ledge was a severe case of covid that fucked me up big time.

Well maybe some doom scrolling is what you need. 🤣 Hope you are turning the corner

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Exactly it... the analysis of what would have happened to Houston had Rita hit, specifically in the ship channel, is exceedingly frightening.  

https://archive.ph/bRZ6R#selection-2413.0-2429.83

Local hurricane experts agree that a violent storm surge in the channel of at least 26 feet—a reasonable estimate for a category 4 storm that hits Galveston directly—would initially inundate densely populated, low-lying communities on the western half of Galveston Bay. Debris from those communities would then combine with thousands of shipping containers in the area, forming a destructive wall of steel and wood that would slam into thousands of chemical and crude oil storage tanks. Many tanks would be broken open by the battering ram of debris, while others would be ripped from their foundations by the water, releasing their deadly contents. A detailed inventory of hazardous chemicals around the Ship Channel remains difficult to come by, thanks to a Texas law that restricts public disclosure of information that could be utilized by terrorists. However, a 2016 Houston Chronicle investigation of the area’s dangerous chemicals revealed that communities near the Ship Channel live in close proximity to toxic substances, such as silane gas, methyl mercaptan, hydrofluoric acid, sodium sulfide, and ammonia. On at least three occasions, the investigation found, those substances have been released, killing workers and endangering nearby residents. The paper has also catalogued more than one hundred toxic releases during Hurricane Harvey alone, most of them from Houston’s petrochemical corridor.

unlike new orleans or florida, houston can be saved with a bajillion dollar plan

a cunning plan

i've posted this before but the summary of the plan is to build coffer dams in san luis pass, cold pass, and across the 45 causeway, then build permanent 300-year structures like the delta works, and empty galveston bay

you then build giant 48" culverts to drain all of the western suburbs in to the galveston bay hole during a direct hit

the dutch would say "this is possible"

and would be a lot cheaper than what would happen in the scenario posted above

49 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i guess they’ll be retiring ‘milton’ 

Absolutely. 
Milton was only in rotation for one cycle.  It replaced Michael, which was a US landfalling Cat 5 hurricane in 2018.

Edited by TeeDubya

43 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Isn't that good news? I thought we want the center to be south of Tampa Bay, that way the bay won't get the full brunt of the storm surge.

Depends on what you want to save I suppose. South puts the dirty side on a collision course with a number of islands and low lying areas that are flooded from Helene and still recovering from Ian.

Just now, Brew said:

Depends on what you want to save I suppose. South puts the dirty side on a collision course with a number of islands and low lying areas that are flooded from Helene and still recovering from Ian.

Which is best for the Mons Venus?  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

When you get an old white man almost crying…

This guy was interviewed today. The pressure drop that was recorded, in that short time frame, used to be unheard of. Dude was thinking of what this portends for the future.

Deniers. That’s what the wife thought about after hearing said interview. The COA basically bought out an entire neighborhood on Onion Creek, and there was one holdout. No reasoning with this person. It wasn’t until the inevitable came about, and the hold out had to be airlifted from the street sign they were clinging to, in the floodwaters, that their denial was breached by reality. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

This is where my office is, talks today was focused on how soon can we bring everything back online for people to get back in office business continuity is our structure. Eat my dick, god I despise these mfers 

IMG_4326.jpeg

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

unlike new orleans or florida, houston can be saved with a bajillion dollar plan
a cunning plan
i've posted this before but the summary of the plan is to build coffer dams in san luis pass, cold pass, and across the 45 causeway, then build permanent 300-year structures like the delta works, and empty galveston bay
you then build giant 48" culverts to drain all of the western suburbs in to the galveston bay hole during a direct hit
the dutch would say "this is possible"
and would be a lot cheaper than what would happen in the scenario posted above

Empty Galveston bay permanently?

This is where my office is, talks today was focused on how soon can we bring everything back online for people to get back in office business continuity is our structure. Eat my dick, god I despise these mfers 

IMG_4326.thumb.jpeg.2ab829541ad9e0a82d78a71f2857f027.jpeg

Didn’t you say your boss is aggy?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

My cousin lives in Sarasota. He said he and his neighbor put up their hurricane shutters and are planning to stay. They are about 7 miles inland as the crow flies so they are going to ride it out. 

I'd be leaving if I was him.

Well maybe some doom scrolling is what you need. 🤣 Hope you are turning the corner

If you have anything you want to say to him or something you want to get off your chest, you should do it today.  

Hopefully he's ok.

52 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

IMG_3074.gif.b3443e6ebeb3069e06ef5a43e9096b33.gif

“.. i’m really gonna need everyone to be back online by Friday afternoon”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

It doesn't even make any sense to plan for getting back to the office until you know what actually happens with Milton. Plan what? Sounds Aggy indeed.

Yep it’s a waste of time and energy. Get back in office asap but power might be out or the carriers are out in the area. These fucking morons and also you know people have other shit to deal with besides coming into the office and worrying about this bulkshit 

22 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Car thieves

rubbing-hands.gif

Jokes on them, after Ivan I had to do damage assessment for a c-store company in Pensacola, the water pressure from the surge blew 1-10's bridges completely off the pilings.  From what I recall that surge was well lower than the projected 15 feet.  

What I remember most about that job was we found the canopy for the station 4 miles away in some guys yard, pretty well in tact.  Absolute miracle it didn't kill anyone.  

Edited by BamaATL

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yep it’s a waste of time and energy. Get back in office asap but power might be out or the carriers are out in the area. These fucking morons and also you know people have other shit to deal with besides coming into the office and worrying about this bulkshit 

Unless you are a rescue swimmer, you need not be in that area.  You also need to seriously look for other employment.  

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Jokes on them, after Ivan I had to do damage assessment for a c-store company in Pensacola, the water pressure from the surge blew 1-10's bridges completely off the pilings.  From what I recall that surge was well lower than the projected 15 feet.  

Think of all the soon to be fishing structure 

• Hook 'Em 1