2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

Wait.  Are they saying one hurricane is equal to a fifth of all the energy we use in a year.  Can we somehow harness that to make green energy?  (joke)

Just now, Parliament said:

According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

Wait.  Are they saying one hurricane is equal to a fifth of all the energy we use in a year.  Can we somehow harness that to make green energy?  (joke)

Well we could, but windmills cause cancer (don't fact check me bro)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

They publish storm surge inundation maps. You should evacuate if you are in the flood zone or if you live in a manufactured home. If you are not in the flood zone and live in a well built structure and flee you likely are putting yourself in harms way while potentially making it tougher for someone who needs to evacuate to do so (gaa shortages/excess traffic). Have you completely forgotten how stupid Houston was over Rita?

Most of the Tampa Bay area is under voluntary evacuation orders.  It's still likely that Milton will be a Cat 4 storm when it hits.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stay put for those winds.

image.png.55b616d15836eabaa3087b64dd81e2a7.pngMiltonZoomPath9Oct8a.jpg?w=632

21 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Hurricane FAQ - NOAA/AOML

During each hurricane season, someone always asks “why don’t we destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them” or “can we use nuclear weapons to destroy a hurricane?” There always appear suggestions that one should simply nuke hurricanes to destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20×1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity’s disposal is closer to the storm’s, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn’t seem promising.

In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn’t raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It’s difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.

Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn’t promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it’s still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world’s lights many times a year.

Dancing With The Stars GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

5eb5241a7e8090e84c637ec2e029ead6.jpg
Thoughts and prayers with those fighting frost in Wisconsin, Michigan and for those in the Dallas metroplex experiencing low air quality

You’ll be gone but not forgotten

I'm calling for a complete and total ban on West Virginia until we can figure out what the hell is going on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So what if we tossed in a few blocks of dry ice or have a bunch of planes fly counterclockwise through it?

Just have Superman fly clockwise real fast through the eye to destroy the hurricane. 

Edited by Js1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Most of the Tampa Bay area is under voluntary evacuation orders.  It's still likely that Milton will be a Cat 4 storm when it hits.  I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stay put for those winds.

image.png.55b616d15836eabaa3087b64dd81e2a7.pngMiltonZoomPath9Oct8a.jpg?w=632

image.thumb.png.8ac76e6fa3d18a62e46dfe451ab227a0.png

RIP barrier islands south of Tampa the problem has moved demonstrably south since the intial forecasts.  Siesta key is going to be an absolute wasteland.

Personally unless I was on a barrier island or in the colored zones I would be standing pat to board up my windows and stay away from blocking people's departure who were in greater harms way.

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Personally unless I was on a barrier island or in the colored zones I would be standing pat to board up my windows and stay away from blocking people's departure who were in greater harms way.

aggie_small.webp

• Haha 7
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Certainly the guy who rented him the boat won't get his insurance paid out when he has to tell the adjustor "well, yeah, I rented it to a guy who wanted to sail it into the hurricane" right?

So if God told him to ride it out in the bay….but what if God thinks he’s an asshole?

inception GIF

Better late than never but finally convinced the future in-laws to gtfo of their house that's in Sarasota Evacuation Zone C and move a bit inland to family house that's outside the surge hazard area at least, still gonna suck ass with all the wind but might at least have kept them from getting surged/flooded out. Boomers are stubborn as hell...

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Better late than never but finally convinced the future in-laws to gtfo of their house that's in Sarasota Evacuation Zone C and move a bit inland to family house that's outside the surge hazard area at least, still gonna suck ass with all the wind but might at least have kept them from getting surged/flooded out. 

My buddy in Bradenton sent me a picture of the anticipated track overlaid with his house location.  

comedy central season 1 episode 8 GIF by Workaholics

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

During each hurricane season, someone always asks “why don’t we destroy tropical cyclones by nuking them” or “can we use nuclear weapons to destroy a hurricane?” There always appear suggestions that one should simply nuke hurricanes to destroy the storms. Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea.

Now for a more rigorous scientific explanation of why this would not be an effective hurricane modification technique. The main difficulty with using explosives to modify hurricanes is the amount of energy required. A fully developed hurricane can release heat energy at a rate of 5 to 20×1013 watts and converts less than 10% of the heat into the mechanical energy of the wind. The heat release is equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes. According to the 1993 World Almanac, the entire human race used energy at a rate of 1013 watts in 1990, a rate less than 20% of the power of a hurricane.

If we think about mechanical energy, the energy at humanity’s disposal is closer to the storm’s, but the task of focusing even half of the energy on a spot in the middle of a remote ocean would still be formidable. Brute force interference with hurricanes doesn’t seem promising.

In addition, an explosive, even a nuclear explosive, produces a shock wave, or pulse of high pressure, that propagates away from the site of the explosion somewhat faster than the speed of sound. Such an event doesn’t raise the barometric pressure after the shock has passed because barometric pressure in the atmosphere reflects the weight of the air above the ground. For normal atmospheric pressure, there are about ten metric tons (1000 kilograms per ton) of air bearing down on each square meter of surface. In the strongest hurricanes there are nine. To change a Category 5 hurricane into a Category 2 hurricane you would have to add about a half ton of air for each square meter inside the eye, or a total of a bit more than half a billion (500,000,000) tons for a 20 km radius eye. It’s difficult to envision a practical way of moving that much air around.

Attacking weak tropical waves or depressions before they have a chance to grow into hurricanes isn’t promising either. About 80 of these disturbances form every year in the Atlantic basin, but only about 5 become hurricanes in a typical year. There is no way to tell in advance which ones will develop. If the energy released in a tropical disturbance were only 10% of that released in a hurricane, it’s still a lot of power, so that the hurricane police would need to dim the whole world’s lights many times a year.

I've read that before and it feels like it was written by a really bad high school science teacher.  Everything after the first paragraph should be deleted.  You don't need to overpower something to disrupt it.  Think about stopping someone who is running. You could run head on with the same force and stop them, or you could just trip them.  The correct answer is that we don't have any clean nuclear bombs. A pure Fusion explosions would have very little fallout, but we don't have any of those.  All of our fusion bombs have fission detonators.   If we had a pure fusion bomb, the science is much more complicated and is not fully understood. 

Just now, texasdago said:

My buddy in Bradenton sent me a picture of the anticipated track overlaid with his house location.  

comedy central season 1 episode 8 GIF by Workaholics

Have friends in Bradenton as well who sent just about the same thing, they moved further inland as well as their house in Bradenton is not one I would want to hunker down in any sort of storm... think they will be lucky if it still has a roof when they come back.

1 minute ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I've read that before and it feels like it was written by a really bad high school science teacher.  Everything after the first paragraph should be deleted.  You don't need to overpower something to disrupt it.  Think about stopping someone who is running. You could run head on with the same force and stop them, or you could just trip them.  The correct answer is that we don't have any clean nuclear bombs. A pure Fusion explosions would have very little fallout, but we don't have any of those.  All of our fusion bombs have fission detonators.   If we had a pure fusion bomb, the science is much more complicated and is not fully understood. 

I have plenty of pure fusion explosions in the bathroom, let me assure you, there is plenty of fall out.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Aren’t they saying that one hurricane is five times the human energy consumption?  

15 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

This is where my office is, talks today was focused on how soon can we bring everything back online for people to get back in office business continuity is our structure. Eat my dick, god I despise these mfers 

IMG_4326.jpeg

Hope you are in a safe spot because that office isn't going to exist much longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

image.thumb.png.8ac76e6fa3d18a62e46dfe451ab227a0.png

RIP barrier islands south of Tampa the problem has moved demonstrably south since the intial forecasts.  Siesta key is going to be an absolute wasteland.

I think the term “African American” is preferred sir.

• Haha 2

This is where my office is, talks today was focused on how soon can we bring everything back online for people to get back in office business continuity is our structure. Eat my dick, god I despise these mfers 

IMG_4326.jpeg

Well if the office is compromised, might I suggest an alternate. 2040 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33607   They have gen sets, refreshments, wifi, and fully stocked ATMs.  It's the perfect rally point for Disaster Recovery.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Have friends in Bradenton as well who sent just about the same thing, they moved further inland as well as their house in Bradenton is not one I would want to hunker down in any sort of storm... think they will be lucky if it still has a roof when they come back.

I think they finished building theirs in 2022 or so which would tell me its up to code but, man, cat 4 or 5, I don't know what to tell you.  Family on the other side near Ponce Inlet should only have to ride out a cat 1.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Nice explanation and all but I'll stick to pointing and laughing at anyone to suggest such a thing

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_4326.jpeg

I didn't even know that 275 had toll road operators

25 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Aren’t they saying that one hurricane is five times the human energy consumption?  

Something like that.  The joules of energy involved in a hurricane are staggering.....yet we have a cascade of idiots, including elected officials, who think that "they" are manipulating the weather to create and steer these beasts.  With fucking WHAT?  We don't possess ANYTHING capable of being more than a fart in a tornado in terms of influence on something with that much energy.  "They have a 1 trillion watt laser!"  Cool....that won't do shit.  The weaponized stupidity that is now involved in how we handle weather events....man, it's something.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

In one of my group chats, an old tailgating buddy of mine says his inlaws in punta gorda got out and are watching it unfold from Bismarck ND…but the inlaws sister/husband are hunkering down in punta gorda because “their house is hurricane proof”

Looking at their house address it’s less than a mile from Charlotte harbor/peace river. Idiots. Then I’m like do you get sad or mad at a potential casualty like this?