2024 Hurricane Season thread of DOOM

Zonahorn

34 minutes ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Sucks. I’ve done a bunch of fossil diving there over the years. Great town with badass hole in the wall restaurants and bars. I’m worried for them and everyone else 

Can you elaborate on "fossil diving". Very curious and two overlapping hobbies amongst my scores of hobbies.

• Hook 'Em 1

With all the hurricanes going on I forgot about the dock strikes for the locals in Florida. My gosh they won’t be able to find anything in stores for a while.

Does it hurt to be this stupid? Like, do you have to wear a helmet or something?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, heso said:

Why the fuck does the news media have to be so hyperbolic? I just heard someone refer to this as a “once in a thousand year weather event”. 

It’s what they do. We shouldn’t be surprised by it. 

2 minutes ago, heso said:

Why the fuck does the news media have to be so hyperbolic? I just heard someone refer to this as a “once in a thousand year weather event”. 

this is clearly the most significant weather event since uh, hurricane Helene. that seems like weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

No, you missed the in the trees part. That indicates the level of violence dodged out by the storm and/or how big the storm surge is into areas of significant population. 

It's a nuance thing

There won't be any trees left after this.

34 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Can you elaborate on "fossil diving". Very curious and two overlapping hobbies amongst my scores of hobbies.

I think that the shallow sandy waters off Tampa Bay or so have lots of fossil shark teeth. So you can go diving (or snorkeling?) and have a decent chance at finding some. I have never tried, so I don't know the details, but it sounds cool and I want to try it someday. This storm might (dunno) stir up things and bring more teeth to the surface, so in the end it might not be bad for shark teeth finding.

4 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

I think that the shallow sandy waters off Tampa Bay or so have lots of fossil shark teeth. So you can go diving (or snorkeling?) and have a decent chance at finding some. I have never tried, so I don't know the details, but it sounds cool and I want to try it someday. This storm might (dunno) stir up things and bring more teeth to the surface, so in the end it might not be bad for shark teeth finding.

Just go to the sandy bottoms of the Sulphur River in NE Texas. Lots of fossilized shark teeth, way less hurricanes. Some say Sasquatch lives there, but I dunno. 

• Drool 1

Does it hurt to be this stupid? Like, do you have to wear a helmet or something?

No dipshit, everything is delayed across the country because of the short strike of the 30+ ports shutting down. That was my point.

Do tell us all about logistics and how they weren’t affected whatsoever you dumb mother fucker.
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Just go to the sandy bottoms of the Sulphur River in NE Texas. Lots of fossilized shark teeth, way less hurricanes. Some say Sasquatch lives there, but I dunno. 

What about alligators? One issue with the Florida teeth, is that the water can get murky and there are cases where searchers for fossil shark teeth found live alligator teeth instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

What about alligators? One issue with the Florida teeth, is that the water can get murky and there are cases where searchers for fossil shark teeth found live alligator teeth instead.

thats because all them alligators is ornery since they aint got no toothbrush and suddenly some jackwad is swiming in his creek and needs to be dealt with

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

Holy shit these Florida people have no idea what they're looking at. 
"I'm getting scared"
Young lady you should have been in full shitting your pants mode a minute ago. 

She’s in a Waffle House that’s still open. Why would she panic?

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Does stupidity expire?

My gf will vociferously assure you that mine has no expiration date.

But, given Stanco's history of posting shit that makes you wonder how it's possible for somebody to be so gullible, it amused me to see him calling somebody else a stupid motherfucker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Always makes me smile on the 3 year old receipts.

slorch’d, rocko’d, stanco’d.  it’s not about the receipts.  Your journey to Surly infamy is legend.  That’s a short list of truly aggressively stupid and foolish posters, so well-earned, chap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I have 2 shipments coming in on the east coast that are delayed from the strike per our freight forwarder. Why are yall getting angry over this?

Ever get the sense that people in the shipping industry might lie about, well I dunno, anything, to buy some extra time?  

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I have 2 shipments coming in on the east coast that are delayed from the strike per our freight forwarder. Why are yall getting angry over this?

Posted on a hurricane thread.

it’s not anger, bub.  It’s just mind blowing.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Do you not understand capitalism?

I understand why the media does it but why the fucking sheep celebrate getting gas lit at every corner is what I don't understand.

Hell a bunch of them are patting themselves on the back in this thread after getting everything wrong over the past 8+ years.

I'm watching the Ryan Hall guy and like him; he keeps his cool and isn't hyperbolic.

They're discussing the backside of the eyewall is coming on shore now. He and his chasers are talking about what's coming on shore now, which is a lot stronger than the front in this case.

Lots of flooding from the rain itself, beyond the storm surge. The airport has received 5 inches in the last hour on top of the 7 inches they'd already gotten today.

Storm surge is much worse right now to the south around Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte where all power is out.