Euro 2024

Captain Ron

12 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Counterpoint--it's not up to the Turks to impose onto English-speakers a diacritic that is completely foreign to our language.  I don't think it's necessary to spell "São Tomé and Príncipe" with all those little squiggles, even though I understand they're proper in Portuguese.  It's enough that I address the country as Sao Tome and Principe, which is how it is styled at the United Nations.

Perhaps I'd give more of a shit if the Turks would address my country as the United States of America rather than the "ABD."  And I understand that they want to call Germany "Almanya," because that's just in keeping with Constantinople's Roman heritage.  But unless the Turks are going to start calling Norway "Norge" rather than "Norveç," I'm really kind of uninterested in their histrionics over the deal.

Final funny note on all this--the United States Department of State has adopted the "Türkiye" spelling, but also made clear that the pronunciation remains the same.  That is, American diplomats don't adopt the overwrought Canadian-ified "Turkey-eh" pronunciation that you heard on the broadcast.  And I just personally think that's really funny.

edited to add: These days without a morning match to distract me from these little flights of irrelevancy really suck.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Counterpoint--it's not up to the Turks to impose onto English-speakers a diacritic that is completely foreign to our language.  I don't think it's necessary to spell "São Tomé and Príncipe" with all those little squiggles, even though I understand they're proper in Portuguese.  It's enough that I address the country as Sao Tome and Principe, which is how it is styled at the United Nations.

Perhaps I'd give more of a shit if the Turks would address my country as the United States of America rather than the "ABD."  And I understand that they want to call Germany "Almanya," because that's just in keeping with Constantinople's Roman heritage.  But unless the Turks are going to start calling Norway "Norge" rather than "Norveç," I'm really kind of uninterested in their histrionics over the deal.

Final funny note on all this--the United States Department of State has adopted the "Türkiye" spelling, but also made clear that the pronunciation remains the same.  That is, American diplomats don't adopt the overwrought Canadian-ified "Turkey-eh" pronunciation that you heard on the broadcast.  And I just personally think that's really funny.

edited to add: These days without a morning match to distract me from these little flights of irrelevancy really suck.

Your seemingly endless supply of useless info (see airline and airport discussions) never ceases to amaze, amuse, and inform me. I'm here for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Donovan was spot on saying Croatia need to attack when they turn Italy over. Both times they’ve got the ball in Italy’s half on turnovers they’ve dicked around and eventually passed it back to their centerbacks. 

In soccer parlance, this is known as The Gergg Technique.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Counterpoint--it's not up to the Turks to impose onto English-speakers a diacritic that is completely foreign to our language.  I don't think it's necessary to spell "São Tomé and Príncipe" with all those little squiggles, even though I understand they're proper in Portuguese. 

Well, I spell it São Tomé e Príncipe. Interesting little place.

I was also saying "Boo-urns," so take that with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

…Would be funny if the Italians somehow don’t make it through as a result of Albania winning. 

For many years I rooted against Italy. Basically from 1994 on =>

But I like Chiellini in the studio, they have missed the last two World Cups, they don’t dive as much as they used to, but more than anything else…

Italy 🇮🇹 beating England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in the final of Euro 2020 (held in 2021) has endeared those greasers to me. 

They have me the pleasure of watching England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 fail on the second biggest stage in the world, the Finals of the Euros. 

For that, I am throwing my support behind Italy.🇮🇹 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

For many years I rooted against Italy. Basically from 1994 on =>

But I like Chiellini in the studio, they have missed the last two World Cups, they don’t dive as much as they used to, but more than anything else…

Italy 🇮🇹 beating England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in the final of Euro 2020 (held in 2021) has endeared those greasers to me. 

They have me the pleasure of watching England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 fail on the second biggest stage in the world, the Finals of the Euros. 

For that, I am throwing my support behind Italy.🇮🇹 

Yeah, I too come about my sometimes support of Italy in a circuitous manner. My Germans and I talked at length about whom we should cheer for in that Italy v England game. We don’t like either so it kind of came down to “hate less”. I hate Italy less than I hate England. The Six Counties have to be free before I would root for England. One of my Germans won’t even stop at a BP gas station. 

I kind of decide as I would at a basketball tournament, kind of like at the Big East Tournament where you change each day for whom to cheer depending on “hate less”.

My overall hierarchy of soccer cheering is: 1. U.S.A. 🇺🇸; 2. Germany 🇩🇪; 3. Sweden 🇸🇪; 4. Ireland 🇮🇪; 5. Whomever is playing Spain, England, Italy, France, Belgium, etc.

I can cheer for any of the #5s playing another of the #5s, depending on my mood. 

Edited by PittsburghTiger