Euro 2024

Captain Ron

What's idiotic about England not really going all out right now is that despite knowing they advanced, they are guaranteed nothing.
They win the group (likely needing a win today) - they draw a 3rd place team
They finish runner ups, they draw Germany
They finish 3rd - they draw a Group winner (likely E or Portugal)

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

it seems like no one in this thread is willing to say it so i am going to go ahead and be adlai stevenson here and say...

this tournament has sucked so far. i know it has just been group play but i think own goal is the leading scorer in the tournament is it not?

france hasn't scored in open play yet, england blows (always), germany and italy look pedestrianish. spain is the only team that has shined. austria cindarella story is fun i guess and the match against the netherlands today was definitely the most entertaining so far but i don't know, i usually am super jazzed every day for the matchups and am left with a sense of "meh" at the end of most of the games.

and that stutter step crap from lewandowski should be punishable by death.

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

this tournament has sucked so far. i know it has just been group play but i think own goal is the leading scorer in the tournament is it not?

there are 24 teams playing 36 group games. Almost every tournament with that many teams is going to have “own goal” as leading scorer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, sidis said:

it seems like no one in this thread is willing to say it so i am going to go ahead and be adlai stevenson here and say...

france hasn't scored in open play yet, england blows (always), germany and italy look pedestrianish. spain is the only team that has shined. austria cindarella story is fun i guess and the match against the netherlands today was definitely the most entertaining so far but i don't know, i usually am super jazzed every day for the matchups and am left with a sense of "meh" at the end of most of the games.

Season after season of watching Everton has finally broken your brain.

This tournament has been damn entertaining. We've had some great games, some fantastic upsets and a few great finishes. And while there isn't a standout team, the KO round looks like it could be wide open.

And being angry about that OG stat is silly for the reason that @Firemans4Horn says.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Counterpoint: maybe the English players aren't as good as everyone thinks.

I don't think that this team is the greatest collection of talent in the tournament. But this team is too good to only score 2 goals and draw 2 games in this group. Their front 4 of Foden-Kane-Saka-Bellingham should be one of the most potent attacks in the tournament. Do they have other midfield and back line issues? Of course, but they are better than this.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Counterpoint: maybe the English players aren't as good as everyone thinks.

The individuals are as good as everyone thinks.  We've all seen them succeed in too many different clubs to believe otherwise.

The problem is simply that this England team is less than the sum of its parts.  England played pretty well in their last three major tournaments, and on paper this team should be better, but for whatever reason this group just looks stuck in neutral, and not terribly bothered by it.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Season after season of watching Everton has finally broken your brain.

This tournament has been damn entertaining. We've had some great games, some fantastic upsets and a few great finishes. And while there isn't a standout team, the KO round looks like it could be wide open.

And being angry about that OG stat is silly for the reason that @Firemans4Horn says.

meh, i haven't really found it all that entertaining other than today's dutch-austria game. france has yet to score in open play. inbred england scored two lame goals in three games. not many goalazos outside of shariqi's goal against the inbreds. belgium with virtually nothing of note. a bunch of meh. germany just racked up a bunch of goals against hapless, shitty scotland but otherwise pedestrian. portugal has been okay. other than some fun from austria, it has just not been that great.

as to the own goal issue, using the term "angry" is obviously silly. however, to engage the point, you and firemans don't have the data to support his point...you guys are just making shit up based on feeling. in the entire history of the euro tournament back to 1960, there have been a total of 27 own goals...7 of which have happened this year so far (26% of all in the entire history of the tourney) with group stage not even finished. it's a unique outcome to this tourney and the 2020/2021 tourney.  moving to the world cup, the 2018 world cup (in its entirety) is the only world cup tourney in history to have as many own goals as the 2024 euro has...so far. and every world cup since 1962 has had at least 32 games. every other world cup had fewer than 7 own goals (2022 had 2 and the average across all world cups is 2.0 own goals per tournament). prior to 2021, the euros never had a tournament with a total number of own goals greater than 3 (and there was only one of those) and the average is 0.6 per tournament up until the last two where the average currently sits at 9 (but is going to grow to probably 11 or so by the end of this tournament). i suppose that would support some notion that the designation of own goals vs. crediting the shooter may have undertaken a shift in discretion but the point stands.  the data is clear, this tournament is an extreme outlier in own goals and own goals being the leading scorer in a tournament is an extremely rare phenomenon.

the finishing has just been mediocre in this one. i have watched a lot of really good opportunities just get pissed away by everyone from mbappe to the entire belgium squad. perhaps the goalies are just having an historical tournament...

to your point, i am hopeful that because no one has really impressed so far that the ko round games should be openly wild without as many obvious outcomes. there is no spain 2012, etc...

edit: revisiting the own goal issue and anticipating the argument that there were fewer games and teams prior to the 2016 tournament...the average number of own goals normalized per game in all euro games pre-2020 was 0.031 own goals per game.  For 2024, it is 0.233 so far...7.4x as many.  2020/2021 was 0.215 per game.

Edited by sidis

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Office Space No GIF

The games involving the Balkan countries have been incredible. Germany and Spain will be a titanic matchup. This has been a great tournament.

• Like 1

All these 3rd place teams advancing sucks and really takes the drama out of the simultaneous final group games.  If they want 16 teams to the knockouts, they need to bite the bulket and go to 32 teams

Of course the same thing is coming for our WC

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The games involving the Balkan countries have been incredible.

literally zero wins for a balkan team and zero top two finishes but sure, some fun own goals and idiotic finishes that were exciting.

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

goals in 23/24 EPL:

own goal- 49

haaland- 27

palmer- 22

it’s a non-factor in if a tournament or season is good or not. 

oh for fuck's sake. you have to fucking kidding me.

Just now, sidis said:

literally zero wins for a balkan team and zero top two finishes but sure, some fun own goals and idiotic finishes that were exciting.

oh for fuck's sake. you have to fucking kidding me.

Did you watch Turkey vs. Georgia? Best game of the tournament until today’s Netherlands-Austria match with the 2 best goals of the tournament with one by one of the best young talents in the world, Real Madrid’s Arda Güler. 

38 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

goals in 23/24 EPL:

own goal- 49

haaland- 27

palmer- 22

it’s a non-factor in if a tournament or season is good or not. 

I counted and got 35 still more than Haaland.

I did see the hatred though, Everton lead the league with 5. 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/own_goals?se=418