Euro 2024

Captain Ron

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

England didn't give them anything in the midfield. NED was totally outclassed all game. The only times NED looked dangerous were on counters or set pieces - they didn't lose for a lack of strategy they just ran into a 1B side playing very competent dare I say good football.

I’m not saying that the Netherlands was better, and I said so right at halftime. I just think all they did was pass the ball around the middle half of the field. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I’m not saying that the Netherlands was better, and I said so right at halftime. I just think all they did was pass the ball around the middle half of the field. 

Right. I read what you said. They played conservative and passed the ball around because they were getting outclassed at a lot of key positions. 

To their credit their back line was very good and they held up about as well as they could for 90 mins - and could have snuck another goal in there somewhere. 

I just thought from an individual talent standpoint that it was a pretty glaring match. Team football wise NED probably played a stronger game. 

Hence my comment in the 2H about how it's crazy that ENG only has 1 WC and 0 Euros. There are matches like tonight where the skill-level is baffling. Like 90s/00s Brazil level.

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)

At 90'+5 and trailing Slovakia by a goal, England looked dead and set for a Round of 16 exit followed by an almighty inquest back home. Credit Southgate for then switching up his tactics with Saka and Trippier at wing back and Mainoo into midfield alongside Rice. They're playing better. Watkins for Kane needed to happen, but let's be honest: Watkins, Saka, Bellingham, or Foden aren't getting awarded that penalty. Now they're in the Final.

Is it enough to overcome a Spain side that has looked the best side of the Euros so far? Williams and Yamal down the wings, Ruiz, Olmo, and Rodri in midfield, Morata up front... it appears Spain have too much.  But would it surprise me if England scape out a win? No. 

The Final should be a good one.

Edited by Dutch

Posted (edited)

Why haven’t the fans been allowed to put up their flags at the base of their sections! That’s one of the my favorite things about the Euros! It was done for every game of the Euros in every stadium except the final!

Edited by Macklemore

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I love watching these shit bag left backs and right backs for England with no offensive talent while TAA gets splinters on his ass. 

Apparently you didn't get the memo: Southgate is a tactical genius because a sub scored once.  How dare you criticize him.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

When England have the ball in a promising position they have almost no one running into the box. Such a stagnant game plan. 

What do you want them to do?  Raheem Sterling and Cole Palmer can't play, because reasons.  So they have to go slow.

Posted (edited)

de la Fuente has done one of the best all time coaching jobs in assembling and coaching this Spanish side in this Euro by trusting his young studs. Polar opposite of Southgate.

Edited by Macklemore