Euro 2024

Captain Ron

32 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Did you watch Turkey vs. Georgia? Best game of the tournament until today’s Netherlands-Austria match with the 2 best goals of the tournament with one by one of the best young talents in the world, Real Madrid’s Arda Güler. 

Yeah the early games the first week were pretty crazy. Switzerland-Hungary, Romania-Ukraine, Croatia-Albania, Slovakia-Ukraine. I just don’t get the bad tournament take. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I counted and got 35 still more than Haaland.

I did see the hatred though, Everton lead the league with 5. 

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/own_goals?se=418

I would like to think you two galaxy brains would see the silliness in leveraging this as your argument but since you need it spelled out for you…35 own goals in 760 games is a rate of 0.046 own goals per game. Applied to the euro tournament thus far, that rate would have produced 1 own goal to date which - even with the less than stellar offensive performances in this tourney so far - would not make it the leading scorer. They’ve had 7x that rate so far making this tournament, just like the previous euro tourney and the 2018 World Cup, extraordinary outliers.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, sidis said:

I would like to think you two galaxy brains would see the silliness in leveraging this as your argument but since you need it spelled out for you…35 own goals in 760 games is a rate of 0.046 own goals per game. Applied to the euro tournament thus far, that rate would have produced 1 own goal to date which - even with the less than stellar offensive performances in this tourney so far - would not make it the leading scorer. They’ve had 7x that rate so far making this tournament, just like the previous euro tourney and the 2018 World Cup, extraordinary outliers.

sorry to interrupt your manifesto but their are 380 games per season in the EPL. 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

You know what - I think this whole discussion on own goals is stupid and really a bunch of misdirection from your real foolishness - which is your bad take that this tournament isn't very good.

And to that I say - you know what? You're wrong, and I'm not going to waste my time with it anymore. This is a thread about Euros. If you think this tournament sucks - why are YOU wasting your time reading it?

Slovakia-Romania and Ukraine-Belgium in the early games? Let's fucking go!

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

IMG_5334.thumb.jpeg.ae0e8a492563f35abcd49dbb20283dfd.jpeg

IMG_5335.thumb.jpeg.40a5b5b315d4679c0d59e5dad68bd61f.jpeg

49 own goals in 380 games is .129 per game. Over 32 games that would equate to 4.12 expected. 

“own goal” isn’t ruining the tournament for any of us except for you. 

acknowledge that i misconstrued your original epl goals stats post a few back to be the last two seasons instead of just last season when you said 23/24 so the denominator should be 380.

correcting for those number of games, that is still half the rate (over the course of HUNDREDS of domestic league games, not international tournament games) making this tournament an enormous outlier. and as thoroughly demonstrated in my earlier posts, as it relates to actual comparable tournaments as opposed to year-long, hundreds of matches domestic seasons, the outlier nature is even more extreme.

and you're right, i am the only one who has taken any notice of this.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/own-goals-leads-scoring-chart-after-bizarre-start-euro-2024

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/soccer/2024/06/20/own-goals-euro-2024/4dcc1664-2f50-11ef-bcdf-31cdebd3022f_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5576064/2024/06/20/best-own-goals-euro-2024/

https://www.beinsports.com/en-us/soccer/uefa-european-championship-3/articles-video/the-top-scorer-of-euro-2024-own-goal-2024-06-25

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2024/06/25/2024-euros-own-goals-lead-scorers/74206222007/

https://www.telecomasia.net/news/football/18-of-27-own-goals-scored-in-two-latest-euro-tournaments/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/own-goals-scored-euro-2024-who-b2568745.html

17 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

You know what - I think this whole discussion on own goals is stupid and really a bunch of misdirection from your real foolishness - which is your bad take that this tournament isn't very good.

And to that I say - you know what? You're wrong, and I'm not going to waste my time with it anymore. This is a thread about Euros. If you think this tournament sucks - why are YOU wasting your time reading it?

Slovakia-Romania and Ukraine-Belgium in the early games? Let's fucking go!

you know what...YOU KNOW WHAT?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952kc1nam6udptbc8gp0s

and to that I DECLARE...cool, glad you and icono are enjoying the games so much. that doesn't make you and fireman suddenly correct in your erroneous presumptions. hopefully today's epic battes of eastern european also-rans bring a bit more quality and entertainment than the last few days. there's a decent chance of it since the only games that have even been remotely entertaining so far have been from the garbage teams that won't advance besides austria and maybe turkey. maybe debruyne will actually wake up and play some soccer today. there's still time for this tournament to get off the mat and stop being such a snoozer. i think we are aligned in hoping that we get some quality matches and quality open play the rest of the way. enough with the o.g.'s and pk's carrying all the goal scoring. enjoy!

Aside from missing yesterday's early matches for work, I've watched the entire Euro tournament. My takeaway is the opposite: this has been an excellent event overall. Did the two late matches yesterday blow ass? Absolutely. But since one of them featured Angerland, that is to be expected.

I normally am all about the Copa--regardless if the US or other CONCACAF teams are involved--but most of this year's Copa has been a drag compared to what the Euro has delivered. The difference in entertainment value has been night and day. Even Euro VAR has been vastly superior to its Copa version.

Seriously, @sidis, has your Euro viewing experience been limited to yesterday's late matches and that's why you formed such a negative opinion? Or do you maybe just hate soccer?

I genuinely don't know how any fan of the sport could not be pleased with the overall product that Euro 2024 has provided to date. Bizarre take, imo.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Aside from missing yesterday's early matches for work, I've watched the entire Euro tournament. My takeaway is the opposite: this has been an excellent event overall. Did the two late matches yesterday blow ass? Absolutely. But since one of them featured Angerland, that is to be expected.

I normally am all about the Copa--regardless if the US or other CONCACAF teams are involved--but most of this year's Copa has been a drag compared to what the Euro has delivered. The difference in entertainment value has been night and day. Even Euro VAR has been vastly superior to its Copa version.

Seriously, @sidis, has your Euro viewing experience been limited to yesterday's late matches and that's why you formed such a negative opinion? Or do you maybe just hate soccer?

I genuinely don't know how any fan of the sport could not be pleased with the overall product that Euro 2024 has provided to date. Bizarre take, imo.

no, i don't hate soccer. if you can endure being a regular on the league threads as an everton fan for the last ten years on this site, you have to love the sport. that's why ron keeps needling at that, trying to get me to point out that his billion dollar club who has accomplished less than texas a&m athletics in its history was kicked out of champions league by aston villa this year (lol).

we are discussing subjective enjoyment of entertainment. sounds like you guys are enjoying the games. good. i simply weighed in on that with my own perspective that most of the best players weren't really performing (particularly in comparison to the 2004-2016 tourneys) and added the addendum that the ridiculous number of own goals was notable which led to a tangent in which i felt compelled to correct people's erroneous assumptions. the big matchups have yielded lame results so far. spain-italy was won on a single, lame own goal, france-netherlands was two pks, and so on. very few golzaos or gorgeous buildups. mostly just trash rebounds, pks, and ogs.

but i'm not making you guys wrong for being entertained...just disagreeing that other than yesterday morning's austria-dutch game and a couple of rare moments (shaqiris goal against the spurs of international soccer), i've been left with a sense of meh.

knockouts are a new day though.

18 minutes ago, sidis said:

no, i don't hate soccer. if you can endure being a regular on the league threads as an everton fan for the last ten years on this site, you have to love the sport. that's why ron keeps needling at that, trying to get me to point out that his billion dollar club who has accomplished less than texas a&m athletics in its history was kicked out of champions league by aston villa this year (lol).

we are discussing subjective enjoyment of entertainment. sounds like you guys are enjoying the games. good. i simply weighed in on that with my own perspective that most of the best players weren't really performing (particularly in comparison to the 2004-2016 tourneys) and added the addendum that the ridiculous number of own goals was notable which led to a tangent in which i felt compelled to correct people's erroneous assumptions. the big matchups have yielded lame results so far. spain-italy was won on a single, lame own goal, france-netherlands was two pks, and so on. very few golzaos or gorgeous buildups. mostly just trash rebounds, pks, and ogs.

but i'm not making you guys wrong for being entertained...just disagreeing that other than yesterday morning's austria-dutch game and a couple of rare moments (shaqiris goal against the spurs of international soccer), i've been left with a sense of meh.

knockouts are a new day though.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I appreciate your posts on the JWST and astrophysics in general. Soccer, eesh, not so much.

Ok the morning is going 

Slovakia-Romania
U
kraine-Belgium

Oh, this could be really fun with everyone stuck at 3 points. everyone is in play to advance or be left out. Even 3rd place isn't guaranteed anything yet. 

Day Starts:
1. Romania
2. Belgium
3. Slovakia
4. Ukraine

Edited by Captain Ron

I just think it's really cool that both games in this group are light blue against yellow.  Obviously, that was a purposeful scheme worked out by the four squads.  And while it does make it slightly hard for me to figure out at a quick glance which game I'm looking at, I'm totally here for the underlying messaging.

• Hook 'Em 1

Goal differential. Ukraine getting smoked in their first game 0-3 was the biggest thing.

Confusing as hell looking at the bracket.

Netherlands/slovakia can either be up against Rome or Netherlands/ E(3rd) can be up against England. Isn’t E 3rd already decided? Or does F 3rd fuck everything up with some goal differential onslaught?

AH, so Slovakia advances because - they finish 3rd place via GD as I noted.

ADDITIONALLY, they are guaranteed to be one of the top 4 3rd place teams by virtue of points (4 pts).

The remaining 3rd place team will be either Hungary (Group A) or the 3rd place team from Group F, depending on the Group F team's point/GD/etc totals compared to Hungary.

As far as team placement - it is based on which 3rd place teams advance. This was determined in advanced as per this chart. The 4th placed teams are matched up against the winners of groups B, C, E & F.

image.png.54ab68abe854a6555cfc4ce873710be2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Sounds like you missed Croatia-Italy. One of the most dramatic group games in the last 20 years. 

The drama was real!

Willie Nelson put down Trigger and pulled on a Croatia 🇭🇷 kit!

image.jpeg.81381a9a9c2a4f31f18a32312697e6d1.jpeg

He then gets a PK in the 2nd half to take the lead, which would send them through to the round of 16, but Italy’s gargantuan goalkeeper, Gianluigi Donnarumma (actual name), knew exactly where the musical elf was going with his shot and made a beautiful save to his left.

As the ball circled the field with Croatia retaining possession, cameras catch Willie with his hands on his face in disbelief. He completely blew it!

image.png.e3dfc4aacac022ff55bb3781d6e4cc5a.png

But before FOX/FS1 can show a replay of the failed PK, the ball return to in front of the goal where Donnarurumma once again makes a stop, but the spritely elf darts for the rebound and turns and skies a shot over Mount Etna to redeem himself.

Late in regulation Willie is taken off because he is 90 years old and his chicken legs need to be saved for the knockout stages as long as Croatia can hold on.

image.thumb.jpeg.44fe59e85a81d025381c89e4e66892d1.jpeg

Due to mafia ties with UEFA, 8 minutes of stoppage time were given to help the Azzurri come back for a draw that would send them through to the knockout stages , but all looked lost, before…

Father Guido Sarducci got the ball…

image.gif.69e2b89228abfa8af2cadfd6db51b5f8.gif

…and no one expected the defender to dribble the ball, but Guido took Autobahn Route 1, straight up the middle of the field to the edge of the 18 yard box where he lays the ball off to his left before clattering into a Croatian wall that would make the fortified walls of Dubrovnik’s port jealous.

image.thumb.jpeg.8079614d482da9af4266f6767395cd80.jpeg

On the left wing was dual national, Leonardo Di Caprio, who not surprisingly had never score before for Italy, but no matter.

image.jpeg.d16c6c4c5e6db1adab63174091009b3b.jpeg

Leo lined the ball up and with his right foot, he hit a beautiful curler around the keeper to the back side netting sending the Italian fans into a frenzy!

image.gif.1c3a3661754d2ffea28c9e4e2c173fee.gifimage.gif.504a867a7d3a32e56b342629b382ee35.gif

And the cameras then cut to Willie on the bench.

image.gif.30b11019be98f5ef4e7e3afa90ac867b.gif

The whistle was blown immediately after the restart, Italy was moving on, and the coroner was called for Willie.

AH, so Slovakia advances because - they finish 3rd place via GD as I noted.
ADDITIONALLY, they are guaranteed to be one of the top 4 3rd place teams by virtue of points (4 pts).
The remaining 3rd place team will be either Hungary (Group A) or the 3rd place team from Group F, depending on the Group F team's point/GD/etc totals compared to Hungary.

As far as team placement - it is based on which 3rd place teams advance. This was determined in advanced as per this chart. The 4th placed teams are matched up against the winners of groups B, C, E & F.
image.png.54ab68abe854a6555cfc4ce873710be2.png

Good lord, I was told there’d be no math i but it helps with the confusion

Sorta, thanks!