2024 Super Regionals

WBT

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not true.

For non-automatic qualifiers it is.  From a Baseball America article dated 5/16/24:

"Florida and Mississippi have excellent tournament cases due to their elite strength of schedule (Florida is No. 2, Ole Miss is No. 1), RPIs (Florida is 30, Ole Miss is 24) and number of quadrant 1 wins (Florida has 11, Ole Miss has 12; only Kentucky and Tennessee have more than 12 nationally). Unfortunately for the Gators and Rebels, they are both flirting with .500 overall records (Ole Miss is 27-25 and Florida is 26-25) and a series loss this weekend would mean they must reach the SEC Tournament semifinals to have a winning overall record, a prerequisite for at-large teams. Both teams are playing less than 56 regular-season games (Florida has 54, Ole Miss 55), a decision that could come back to haunt them. I would suggest that if either team gets bounced from Hoover early, it would be worth exploring adding a non-conference game on the fly, though the logistics of such a play might be next to impossible.

Pulling for Wolfpack. I thought they got royally fucked in that covid deal, and it would be a sweet story for them to prevail this time.

Nobody but ACC and SEC... sort of tells the tale, ain't it?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Pulling for Wolfpack. I thought they got royally fucked in that covid deal, and it would be a sweet story for them to prevail this time.

I missed that. What happened to them?

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

FAFO

Spoiler

D1Baseball’s Aaron Fitt reported that two unvaccinated NC State players tested positive for COVID-19 this week in Omaha. Per the guidelines, that prompted the NCAA to then test the entire Wolfpack roster, including the vaccinated players. Four NC State players then tested positive, and the NCAA made the no-contest ruling for Saturday’s game.

Per the NCAA’s Sport Science Institute Guidelines, as reported by Fitt, express the following.

Fully vaccinated student-athletes and other Tier 1 individuals with no COVID-19-like symptoms may be exempt from routine testing. Student-athletes and other Tier 1 participants who are not vaccinated must continue to undergo testing at NCAA championships.

If there is evidence of substantial or high transmission in the community, or if there are COVID-19 variants that escape the effect of the vaccine, then testing may need to resume for fully vaccinated individuals. Such decisions will be made in conjunction with local public health authorities and/or federal guidance.

The updated testing guidance also applies to Tier 2 and 3 individuals who may be subject to testing protocols at member schools and championships. If Tier 2 individuals are not fully vaccinated, they must undergo and document a negative PCR test within two days of arrival, or a negative antigen test within one day of arrival, and undergo daily self-health checks. Further testing is based on symptoms. Tier 3 individuals who are not fully vaccinated must undergo daily self-health checks, with testing based on symptoms.

Should state or local authorities require testing of vaccinated individuals, their guidance will supersede this policy and vaccinated individuals will be required to be tested.

There are awful ways to end a season, and then, there’s this. It’s a heartbreaking ending for a team that’s never played in the College World Series final series, and the Wolfpack end the season one game shy of making program history.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

They forfeited against Vandy in the CWS semis because their coach decided not to have players vaccinated if they so chose and they had a Covid outbreak in Omaha.  Fucked around and found out.

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Same jackass coach is still there.  Not going to cheer against the team outright, but I don't exactly wish success for the coach either.

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

On the one hand, "rah rah SEC tough" is why our RPI was so high and we weren't even a bubble team with our record.

On the other hand, fuck Georgia.

IMG_2827.jpeg.0a76a2447fa8ea6d162175355cc600d9.jpeg

“Teacher says every time a bell rings, fuck Georgia!” 

• Haha 1