Texas has won the 2023-2024 Directors Cup

Stanford won regularly because they had lebbenty-lebben different sports teams, many of which had few other schools represented either in the PAC or nationwide. We've won it because CDC picked excellent coaches and made sure that BMD supported non-revenue sports.

Well, that plus we've been in the XII and able to dominate. 

Whether that continues to be the case as we move into a much stronger conference remains to be seen, but it's not impossible.

Hook'em.

Never got an answer... do the Quidditch trophies count?

Value by Sport
Based on the adoption of the above philosophy, the committee reinstated all sports in which the NCAA or NAIA offers a championship, along with Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly I-A) football, to full scoring values. This means that for all sports that meet the above criteria, first place is worth 100 points. Scoring for the Junior/Community Colleges is determined using the NATYCAA Cup standings.

FBS Football

The following breakdown will be used:

1st place - 1-25 using the final USA Today poll (comes out after the National Championship game), point breakdown is as follows: We will be using the 64-team non-bracket point system for the top-25 teams with 25th place receiving 49 points.

26th place - Bowl game winners not ranked in poll (45 points)

Next Available Place - Bowl game losers not ranked in the poll (25 points)

Point Determination
Standings for the Directors' Cup will be based upon the size of the bracket. A minimum of five (5) points will be awarded to any team that places 65th or lower.

Point Determination - Bracket Sports
Points are determined based on the size of the bracket. Any team placing 65th or lower will receive five (5) points. (See accompanying chart for a breakdown by bracket size).

Point Determinations - Non-Bracket Sports
There is a separate point structure for sports that are not placed into brackets. However, the bracket structure has been established for the individual sports in a manner similar to the team sports. Points will be awarded to each individual place. The breakdown is for championships with 64, 48, 32, 16 and 12 teams. Any team placing 65th or lower will receive five (5) points. (See accompanying chart)

When a tie occurs, the average of the places the teams occupy is taken and given to all of the teams that are tied. For example, if three teams tied for 30th place in a 64-team event, the average of the points given to places 30-32 (44 pts., 43 pts., 42 pts.) will be given to all three teams. In this case, each team would receive 43 pts. ((44+43+42)/3=43).

Sport Breakdown
See the Bracket Determination chart to identify those sports scored by the team bracket method and those scored by the individual point method.

Tiebreakers
If two teams tie for first place in the final spring standings, the determination to break the tie is the number of national championships won. The second tiebreaker is the most number of second place finishes. Thus, if two teams have the same number of points, the team that wins the most national championships will win the Directors' Cup. Ties will only be broken for first place in the final spring standings.

Sports Included

Division I: Count 19 sports with the following breakdowns (decreased by 1, 19.1 avg.)
- Four of which must be Baseball and Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball
- The next highest 15 (max.) sports scored for each institution, regardless of gender, will be used in the standings

Division II: Count top 15 (increased by 1, 15.3 avg.)
- Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Baseball, Women's Basketball and Volleyball
- The next highest 11 (max.) sports scored for each institution, regardless of gender, will be used in the standings

Division III: Count top 18 (stayed the same, 17.8 avg)
- Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Basketball and Women's Soccer
- The next highest 14 (max.) sports scored for each institution, regardless of gender, will be used in the standings

NAIA: Count top 13 (increased by 1, 13.4 avg. championship sports)
- Four of which must be Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Women's Basketball and Women's Volleyball
- The next highest 9 (max.) sports scored for each institution, regardless of gender, will be used in the standings

For the Junior/Community Colleges, highest scoring institution in the NATYCAA Cup standings among the NJCAA Scholarship and Non-Scholarship Institutions and State Associations will be declared the Directors' Cup winner.

See the Bracket Determination chart to identify by division the sports that may count in the standings.

Sports Not Included
Sports that will not be included in the Directors' Cup standings are any sports not included in the divisional lists. This includes sports in which the NCAA or NAIA does not sponsor a championship.

Field Sizes
Field sizes are determined by the NCAA and NAIA offices in setting the championships.

Conference Championships/National Polls
An institution's finish in conference championships or ranking in national polls, with the exception of the FBS football (formerly I-A) poll (USA Today/ESPN Coaches' Poll), will not count toward the point tally in the LEARFIELD Directors' Cup standings. All points are based on an institution's finish in the NCAA or NAIA championships.

Publication of Standings
Directors' Cup standings will be published periodically in USA Today. Complete standings of all institutions will be published on NACDA's website. Publication of standings prior to the final spring standings will be unofficial and subject to correction if necessary. They will be published for institutions, media members, fans and parents to keep track of their progress throughout the year.

However, in the winter and spring standings, the NACDA office may remove points scored in the fall or winter in order to use a higher scoring sport in the spring.

Corrections to the Standings
If a member finds the standings or point totals to be incorrect, contact Brian Horning (440-788-7469) or Julie Work (440-788-7468) in the NACDA office.  

Standings
Standings will be updated on NACDA's website, LEARFIELD website  and published in USA Today.

Trophy Presentation
The formal recognition of the Directors' Cup winners for Divisions II, III and the NAIA will occur during the NACDA & Affiliates Convention as part of the Awards Presentations during an All-Associations Featured Session. Due to the College World Series (baseball) ending in late June, the Directors' Cup standings for Division I may not be finalized until after the Convention. However, if the teams competing in the College World Series do not affect the overall winner for Division I, then the Directors' Cup winner for Division I will also be honored in-person at the Convention. If the overall winner cannot be determined, the top five institutions will be recognized during the Convention, but the Directors' Cup will be presented at a later date.

Questions
Questions concerning the tabulation of points for the Directors' Cup should be directed to Brian Horning (440-788-7469) or Julie Work (440-788-7468) in the NACDA office.

Previous Scoring Updates

2017-18 Learfield IMG College Directors' Cup Scoring Structure
For the first time since 2012-13, there will be scoring adjustments - http://www.nacda.com/sports/directorscup/spec-rel/050417aaf.html.

2012-13 Scoring Changes
For NCAA Divisions I, II and III, the  cross  country scoring will be adjusted to  award points from  NCAA Regional meets to the institutions that finished 1-5, but did not advance to the National Championship.

image.thumb.png.a8b6586a97d5c1e739d48093d3da9364.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Stanford won regularly because they had lebbenty-lebben different sports teams, many of which had few other schools represented either in the PAC or nationwide. We've won it because CDC picked excellent coaches and made sure that BMD supported non-revenue sports.

Well, that plus we've been in the XII and able to dominate. 

Whether that continues to be the case as we move into a much stronger conference remains to be seen, but it's not impossible.

Hook'em.

Conference results don't impact the Director's Cup.

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Recruiting does. Conference outcomes get you into playoffs.

Are you expecting recruiting to take a downturn in the SEC?  Conference outcomes only get you into the playoff in conferences where only the champion makes the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Are you expecting recruiting to take a downturn in the SEC?  Conference outcomes only get you into the playoff in conferences where only the champion makes the playoffs.

Are you expecting no change, or only positive change?

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Are you expecting no change, or only positive change?

We've won 3 of the last 4 Director's Cups. I expect us to continue to be in the running for it pretty much every year. There is no reason the conference move should change that.

13 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

We've won 3 of the last 4 Director's Cups. I expect us to continue to be in the running for it pretty much every year. There is no reason the conference move should change that.

I have been under the impression that conference standings (and overall records) in the various sports have an influence on what teams are invited to participate in championship events.

Is that not correct? If it's not, then I stand corrected. But if it is, then I think moving to a more competitive conference might tend to lower our standings in some areas and thereby make it more difficult to achieve the big glass trophy.

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I have been under the impression that conference standings (and overall records) in the various sports have an influence on what teams are invited to participate in championship events.

Is that not correct? If it's not, then I stand corrected. But if it is, then I think moving to a more competitive conference might tend to lower our standings in some areas and thereby make it more difficult to achieve the big glass trophy.

It can make a difference for marginal teams. We don't typically have many of those. 

Posted (edited)

Lacrosse and field hockey didn't even make the NCAA tourney. Those are easy points with a little support. Need to stomp on that ACC/Ivy monopoly. We should be doing much better in wrestling too.

We'll know CDC is serious when the Texas ice hockey team starts making the tournament. 

Edited by Reese Bennett
  • Hook 'Em 1