video: balcony at mexican nightclub collapses, three confirmed dead

Derka

do not watch this video if you do not want to see people die.

seems totally preventable. my questions are a)how did the club allow that many people to be concentrated in one spot like that, and b)how did the people actually on the balcony not realize how dangerous it was?

also, something just insane to witness from the video: a couple of girls land face first and are instantly dead. a different guy lands on top of the pile of bodies, bounces off of them, and gets up and walks away. no rhyme or reason to it. just the way it happened. crazy.

if you really need it, there is clearer video of the incident here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/s/KoIBZmM2xk

Holy shit I’ve been there many times but it was called something else before, family rancho is outside SLP so that was where we all went after the adults went to bed. I have no other insight to offer 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

6M is a little under 20 feet....this is why I call a professional these days instead of dicking around on high ladders or a roof.  

I've jumped purposely from a 12-14ft roof to see how far across the yard I could get. Crazy to see people die instantly from 19ft. Obviously, it depends on how you land and those extra 5ft. make a difference.

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

I've jumped purposely from a 12-14ft roof to see how far across the yard I could get. Crazy to see people die instantly from 19ft. Obviously, it depends on how you land and those extra 5ft. make a difference.

I remember one of my college professors speaking about "LD50", which is the dose of a substance that kills half the recipients.  The concept was subsequently extended to accidental deaths of humans, and my prof pointed out that the falling height which kills 50% of humans is 13 feet.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The craziest part of that video is the guy who just gets up and runs away.   3 dead and he's walking.    Count your blessings, my dude, and go buy a lottery ticket.   You're a lucky fucker.

11 hours ago, Deej said:

The most brown people at Kyle Field ever.

When I first read about it, I just figured it was a sting and abbot was gonna have everyone in attendance arrested/deported. 

• Haha 2

I've been on some pretty crowded decks in Chicago back in the day, that looking back on things were certainly pushing the limits. But that's where the booze and hot womens were located so I get it. 

18 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

seems totally preventable. my questions are a)how did the club allow that many people to be concentrated in one spot like that, and b)how did the people actually on the balcony not realize how dangerous it was?

Mexico

10 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The craziest part of that video is the guy who just gets up and runs away.   3 dead and he's walking.    Count your blessings, my dude, and go buy a lottery ticket.   You're a lucky fucker.

I assume landing on top of other dead people probably helps?

On 6/8/2024 at 9:16 PM, Deej said:

Just wait until the upper deck of Kyle Field collapses. 

for avoidance of doubt i give this constant reminder - never sit south of the 20 yard line in the south end of pyle - on any deck - as the upper-deck dish they built on that end - is going to collapse and kill thousands, and it may slide forward in to the lower deck below - or it may topple backwards in to the football building underneath it - but either way - our administration should refuse any tickets in that end of the stadium - period end of story

15 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for avoidance of doubt i give this constant reminder - never sit south of the 20 yard line in the south end of pyle - on any deck - as the upper-deck dish they built on that end - is going to collapse and kill thousands, and it may slide forward in to the lower deck below - or it may topple backwards in to the football building underneath it - but either way - our administration should refuse any tickets in that end of the stadium - period end of story

Well it is one of their traditions so.....

• Hook 'Em 1

how did the club allow that many people to be concentrated in one spot like that

9 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Mexico

That's really all that needs to be said. This is the same country that doesn't require vehicle safety inspections and a drivers license doesn't require a driving test. The entire test is multiple choice and a 7 year old can ace it. A family of 5 with a toddler will cruise around on a 30 year old scooter; as long as the driver has a helmet, it's no problema.

image.thumb.png.7b7a0e84fd07e972ea79fc7686969f51.png

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Macanudo said:

most cursed lucky person

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

That's really all that needs to be said. This is the same country that doesn't require vehicle safety inspections and a drivers license doesn't require a driving test. The entire test is multiple choice and a 7 year old can ace it. A family of 5 with a toddler will cruise around on a 30 year old scooter; as long as the driver has a helmet, it's no problema.

why do you hate freedom?

9 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

The safety standards are nonexistent. The one thing that always amazed me was watching some dude on about the 30th floor of an oceanfront resort tying rebar without a belt, without a safety harness and no helmet. The next guy in the process was passing buckets of mixed concrete up the ladder for pouring the beams. It’s an engineering marvel watching them build those resorts.

You ever been to Isla Mujeres, when a semi truck drives down the main strip? There’s a couple guys with a 30 ft poles raising the power lines out of the way while the semi creeps along.

Trash trucks? Haha. The guys sit IN the trash truck on the trash while they’re making their runs. Quite different from the guys that used to hang onto the back in the USA.

There was a story a wedding planner in Isla Mujeres told me. The bride was driving the golf cart (drunk of course) down the street and hit one of the families on the moped. The baby goes flying and breaks her arm (thank god that was it). Bride spends 3 days in jail. No food, only water. Gets released just in time for her wedding. “She looked amazing for her wedding photos. She lost so much weight.”

There’s no standard, no OSHA. I love partying and traveling there, but I fully expect a balcony to collapse.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

You ever been to Isla Mujeres, when a semi truck drives down the main strip? There’s a couple guys with a 30 ft poles raising the power lines out of the way while the semi creeps along.

We do this here, too. Bucket trucks and 1x4’s strapped to the top of high loads is everyday stuff in heavy haul 

Well

Balcony load is 1.5x the adjacent area, it’s an assembly so it’s 100 psf so they would use 100 psf anyway since it’s not to exceed 100 psf. 

A person typically takes up 3 sf and weighs 150#. So you would think 100 psf is pretty conservative. You have some reductions for larger areas that may have been taken on girders but those were joists failing. 

In this case you have 2 - 400# cholas crammed into about 2sf so we are overloaded about 200%. Still, I would’ve expected enough redundancy and considering the deflection limits, enough strength to keep it from complete collapse like that. 

Probably built wrong or an engineer wasn’t even involved in the construction. 

Sad, this is shit that should only happen in 3rd world countries. 

45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We do this here, too. Bucket trucks and 1x4’s strapped to the top of high loads is everyday stuff in heavy haul 

Yup, that’s the point. Bucket trucks and 1 x 4s aren’t the same as two guys holding 30ft pool skimmers to move power lines out of the way. We DON’T do this here in America. Read slower next time and you’ll absorb more.

1 minute ago, DaggerHorns said:

Yup, that’s the point. Bucket trucks and 1 x 4s aren’t the same as two guys holding 30ft pool skimmers to move power lines out of the way. We DON’T do this here in America. Read slower next time and you’ll absorb more.

Well, I hired bucket trucks to lift lines, including using poles, for a fuck ton of moves for the better part of a decade. So maybe talk about what you’ve actually done or go fuck yourself?

Well, I hired bucket trucks to lift lines, including using poles, for a fuck ton of moves for the better part of a decade. So maybe talk about what you’ve actually done or go fuck yourself?

Here’s a few where trucks, poles, complete removal were used.

Corpus to Mount Belvieu
5d04cb13f6e721929ccf1c48c84d65b4.jpg

Marietta to Brunswick

655c91d7f1d1b27223c48fa40ab12e0d.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I hired bucket trucks to lift lines, including using poles, for a fuck ton of moves for the better part of a decade. So maybe talk about what you’ve actually done or go fuck yourself

I observed a job without bucket trucks…you know, in Mexico like the thread is talking about.

You mindlessly wanted to talk about “well, I’ve done this!” Good for you, you fucking moron. They don’t operate the same in Mexico which was the whole fucking point about my comment. 

You’re the only one taking a left turn away from this thread and posting a picture no one gives a fuck about.

You’re the only one talking about bucket trucks.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)

Not really. I commented that it’s not atypical  to do it stateside and you suggested I read slower. You even capitalized DON’T.  Commenting on something you don’t have a clue about is surly pastime; would be too much to own it I suppose.  

I’ve got some examples of people doing construction like we do here from all over the world if you want?  But but but in Isla Muejeres. 

Edited by fattyflattie

On 6/8/2024 at 9:18 PM, Deej said:

So the balcony didn't collapse, the glass railing had had enough. 

Ah I didn’t see that the first go-round as I didn’t want to watch people die. 

Well guard rails are only good for 50 plf on the top rail or 250# concentrated load. I’d guess 10 cholas shoved entirely onto the guard = 4000# between supports at 6’ is about  660 plf or 13x over loaded. 

I’ve always wondered this as people have asked me to sign off on guards before Marti Gras here in Galveston. It’s a risky thing since the code required loads may not be enough to resist what may actually happen in a huge party. 

Glass guards actually have some high standards too I don’t think the glass was the issue, just nothing is designed for that kind of chaos. Bar owners fault sadly. 

On 6/9/2024 at 12:58 PM, Parliament said:

Mexican building code enforcement is not our standard.

They use international building code same as us. 

They just don’t actually use it really and nobody actually inspects anything really

19 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

One of my first nights on call on the trauma service at Parkland when I was a 3rd year medical student was a Saturday night. About 3 am we got a trauma code. A drunk driver in a Chevy half ton got on Central going the wrong way. He hit a mid 80’s RX7 with 6 Mexicans in it. Amazingly they all lived but the dude riding bitch in the front didn’t shit right for quite some time (it was a standard)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The Hyatt collapse, if I recall, was due to someone changing the original design, because they were having difficulty building it as it was designed. 

Yup, that was the GC who did that.  My dad headed up the structural engineering group (Civil) at Missouri-Rolla at the time, and he got brought in to consult on the post mortem.  The contractor had changed some of the joint designs and ultimately the natural frequency of the structure ended up aligning almost perfectly with the dancing going on.  It all started to oscillate (think Verrazano Narrows Bridge failure) and eventually came down.  It was  horrible.