The Bikeriders

Derka

holy shit this movie looks bad, and i only just saw a 30 second ad in between rounds on friday night fights. the ad opens in a seedy bar with a totally badass biker guy sitting by himself.

”you can’t wear those colors in here.”

”you’d have to kill me to get this jacket off me.”

followed by 25 seconds of violence and explosions, plus a couple seconds of tom hardy talking all gravely and cool.

the dumbest fucking dialogue, the most played out, beaten to death “tough guys + guns + explosions” premise, the obviously asinine positive reviews (“Goodfellas with bikers”- Indiewire). this is just sons of anarchy or animal kingdom featuring tom hardy. it’s 1,000 other unoriginal movies that have already been made, just with nicer cameras. i cannot believe that people will actually go to the theaters and spend money on this.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

holy shit this movie looks bad, and i only just saw a 30 second ad in between rounds on friday night fights. the ad opens in a seedy bar with a totally badass biker guy sitting by himself.

followed by 25 seconds of violence and explosions, plus a couple seconds of tom hardy talking all gravely and cool.

the dumbest fucking dialogue, the most played out, beaten to death “tough guys + guns + explosions” premise, the obviously asinine positive reviews (“Goodfellas with bikers”- Indiewire). this is just sons of anarchy or animal kingdom featuring tom hardy. it’s 1,000 other unoriginal movies that have already been made, just with nicer cameras. i cannot believe that people will actually go to the theaters and spend money on this.

Good thing you started a thread on it. Seriously, is this forum only used for bitching about tv shows and movies now?  Does anyone actually like anything?

• Hook 'Em 4

54 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Does anyone actually like anything?

Sir, this is Surly Horns.  People bitching about everything and not liking anything is a feature, not a bug.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

so what?  you have not only tom hardy, but michael shannon, norman reedus, boyd holbrook.  written and directed by jeff nichols.  inspired by real motorcycle gangs that did this shit back in the 60s and 70s.  all those things are good.

michael shannon and tom hardy should be great.  shannon has worked with nichols a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Good thing you started a thread on it. Seriously, is this forum only used for bitching about tv shows and movies now?  Does anyone actually like anything?

It might be easier to just have one thread on things people on Surly actually like. 

Outlaw MC Goodfellas is my fever dream hope for this movie. 

The Outlaws-Hells Angels War in Canada would make an awesome movie, but there’s a very small American audience that care about Canada. 

I think SOA have a very shitty back half has cooled the genre. A lot of cool stories to tell. 

12 hours ago, safe sex said:

Jeff Nichols is a great director, but this is definitely a weird choice for him given the rest of the movies he's directed. 

Love Tom Hardy and Jody Comer with their accents

Love all his movies so far. But agree this seems like an odd choice for him. His brother Ben is the singer/songwriter in the band Lucero and Ben's been doing solo acoustic tours with other singer/songwriter types for years and it's called "Bikeriders tour" so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/8/2024 at 11:48 PM, definitely not derka said:

This film could be 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and I still wouldn't want to see it.

Not all stories need to be told.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Under and Alone" is a great book about an ATF agent, William Queen, who infiltrates the Mongols.   Mel Gibson bought the film rights many years ago, but I don't think it went anywhere.  Anybody that thinks these assholes are "cool" needs to read the book.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/9/2024 at 3:45 AM, RPM said:

The-Bikeriders-054a134.png?quality=90&re

In the early days of 1 percent clubs, from the late 40s and early 50s up through the late '60s or so, many bikers did look very much like this.  In the beginning, many if not most of these guys were young WWII or Korean war vets who couldn't find their fit in "normal" society, and missed the "life on the edge" camaraderie they experienced in the military, so congregated together with kindred spirits.  They were mostly hard drinking, hard partying hell raisers looking to be left alone.  Things started getting darker and more criminal in the mid to late '70s and continue to this day.  The below Life magazine article on the Hell's Angels from 1965 never ran, but does have some interesting pictures.

https://www.life.com/history/life-rides-with-hells-angels-1965/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels is a pretty decent read if you'd like to learn more about motorcycle gang crime in the 1960s in the sort of way that you learn things from HST (though pre completely drugged out HST to be sure)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went to watch this last night. What I felt about this movie is that the subject would have been better covered in a 1 season series. The movie ran a little under two hours and it felt rushed and parts were skipped. Austin Butler’s character blended fairly well with this cast. I wish Michael Shannon’s character had a bigger role, especially in a movie like this. I would have had him and Butler switch roles or at the least the positions in the hierarchy of the gang.

On 6/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, Biff Tannen said:

definitely derka'ed?

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:20 AM, Biff Tannen said:

I do find the almost constant stream of negativity about tv shows and movies to be comical. The older I get the more I just enjoy things like movies. It’s entertainment and not every movie is made for every kind of person.

This was a movie, like almost all that I watch, that I enjoyed. It just needed to be longer or be a series. Just a season’s worth could have told a pretty full story in my opinion. I found the look back into this era of America to be somewhat fascinating because of the events that conspired together to make biker gangs a thing in the first place. Another one of World War II and Vietnam’s unintended consequences as was stated above. Soldiers that lost their purpose found it again being a part of this piece of society.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I went to watch this last night. What I felt about this movie is that the subject would have been better covered in a 1 season series. The movie ran a little under two hours and it felt rushed and parts were skipped. Austin Butler’s character blended fairly well with this cast. I wish Michael Shannon’s character had a bigger role, especially in a movie like this. I would have had him and Butler switch roles or at the least the positions in the hierarchy of the gang.

Is Austin Butler still playing Elvis in this movie?

On 6/8/2024 at 11:48 PM, definitely not derka said:

Maybe one day someone will make a movie about your Prius gang

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2024 at 9:48 PM, definitely not derka said:

name does not check out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I caught it yesterday afternoon at the Alamo. It was fine but I think it left a lot of meat on the bone.

One thing that threw me off was that they had a brief interview with Jeff Nichols before the movie where he talks about his influences and specifically Goodfellas. And that he was essentially trying to make Goodfellas for bikers, where he focuses on world building and less on plot, and then watches it fall apart. Knowing that kinda screwed with me, so it felt contrived and derivative. I may have thought that way regardless.

I also think he tried to stay true to the source material, and maybe he shouldn't have. There was probably a better story in there than got told and there was probably a better way to tell it.