Hit Man - Linklater and Powell

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Plus one on the good reviews from me as well. I really did not expect that ending because it diverges so much from the tropes of the genre, but I liked it. 

Really? I liked it a lot, but it’s a pretty by the numbers story. Not one surprise turn. 

Great fuckin' flick. The exact kind of movie that would become a theatrical hit by word of mouth if Netflix (and most studios) would let a movie like this stay in theaters for more than a week or two.

Saw it last night and agree it starts slow but in the end it's so good. There is not a lot of background music throughout and that probably contributes to the feeling of being slow, but when the movie's over you go "Wow, that was pretty good!!!" I also thought it would make a good play. 

We have mixed feelings. There was really no point to making it “loosely” based on Johnson’s life. It deviates so far from reality that they should have just ignored that aspect of it. 

The pilot twists were interesting, but we were left at the end feeling somehow unsatisfied. It was ok. 

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We have mixed feelings. There was really no point to making it “loosely” based on Johnson’s life. It deviates so far from reality that they should have just ignored that aspect of it. 

The pilot twists were interesting, but we were left at the end feeling somehow unsatisfied. It was ok. 

Kind of how we felt too. Good but glad I didn’t spend money to see it at a theater. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

We have mixed feelings. There was really no point to making it “loosely” based on Johnson’s life. 

I’m confused by your response. So much of the start is very true about stupid people and if you read the TM article it is spot on. The kid trying to get mom killed actually happened. 

He actually helped an abused women to just seek help. 

Sure the romance and killing exhub and killing Jasper didn’t happen. If the movie followed the true life story it would fall a little flat. Like about 95% of “true” movies it has lots of “Hollywood”. 

Also it says at end of movie “loosely” based. 

Posted (edited)

I enjoyed it! It was clever and fun and like a cross between Blood Simple and Body Heat. The ending was a little soft for me but I loved it. Adria might be a big star. 

I think Twisters will really solidify Glenn. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They did a pretty passable job of making Glen Powell unattractive in the beginning, with the awful haircut, jorts, and glasses. But then I saw that he named his cats Id and Ego and he shot right back up the hotness scale.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Really? I liked it a lot, but it’s a pretty by the numbers story. Not one surprise turn. 

Getting involved with a femme fatale who wants her husband dead does not typically work out well for the male protagonist in these kinds of movies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

I’m confused by your response. 

You answered your own question in your response. The main plot line of the movie was completely made up. Heck, he didn’t even moonlight in the job, and wasn’t a college professor. The only true bits of the movie were the side plots of people he caught. 

I admit that I’m sitting here struggling to figure out a better way to describe how they’ve taken bits from real life and included it in the movie.  I guess I’m looking for something besides “based upon a true story”. 

“Real-life bits included”

“Some of this shit actually happened!”

”Its not all fake!”

Posted (edited)

Saw it Alamo last night.

really enjoyed it.

I thought the ending was going to take a different direction and 

Spoiler

Gary/Ron was going to get fucked.

but really enjoyed it 

and agreed with the post above about being able to watch Powell do 2 hours of hitman characters. So damn good

also liked the movie touching on the fine line of the entrapment angle which I thought the article did a good job of going into a little more detail on 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's a Netflix throwaway that tried too hard to be Out of Sight.  You could see it coming a mile away that he would face a conflict about whether to actually kill someone, starting with the ridiculous conversation with his ex wife about whether a personality can change.  The tension created by the other cop knowing what was going on could have been resolved in so much more of an interesting way.  But no, let's just have them kill him.

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

RE: Hitman, Bix’s “shitty” house is probably worth what $2.5 million and in the Garden District?

I want to see what $2500 deposit actually gets you in New Orleans. 

We laughed about that too. Completely furnished as well. 

Last time we were in Nola we ate at that cafe where they met. Good breakfast. 

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's a Netflix throwaway that tried too hard to be Out of Sight.  You could see it coming a mile away that he would face a conflict about whether to actually kill someone, starting with the ridiculous conversation with his ex wife about whether a personality can change.  The tension created by the other cop knowing what was going on could have been resolved in so much more of an interesting way.  But no, let's just have them kill him.

Very, extremely mid. Probably not a Linklater top 10. Not a Powell or a Bix problem. Just not an interesting story. Thank you for not making a super hero movie in the nicest thing I can say. 

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

We laughed about that too. Completely furnished as well. 

Last time we were in Nola we ate at that cafe where they met. Good breakfast. 

The exterior shots couldn’t possibly match the interior shots. Exterior was probably Treme. Interior shots were a sound stage about 5x the square footage from the exterior shots. I love Linklater, but he certainly understands some 900 square foot shotgun row house cant’t transform into a Garden District McMansion. 

I’m worried about movies. Something like this almost always works. If Linklater can’t make a good movie anymore, we’re probably screwed. 

https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2024-06-07/the-20-year-overnight-success-of-glen-powell/

The different alter egos came from Powell, and he’d keep working on the looks, the accents, the mannerisms, right up until shooting. “He wasn’t just a slave to the costume,” Blizzard said. “He was inhabiting each of these characters.” They even saved the wildest of Gary’s alter egos for the last two days of production. “He got out of the shuttle and I went, 'Wait, is that Glen?’ I’m sitting there thinking, 'This is never going to work. It’s just too ridiculous.’ But then he starts talking, and he’s created this accent, and it just blew me away. I went, 'Oh my god, this is going to be one of the best ones.’”

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m worried about movies. Something like this almost always works. If Linklater can’t make a good movie anymore, we’re probably screwed. 

What?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I have a special place in my heart for Slacker because it’s a perfect time capsule of Austin when I was at UT. For those with no affinity for the time or the place, I can see why it wouldn’t be as entertaining. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 10:05 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Bix is the hottest chick to appear in Star Wars anything. 

The new girl from the Acolyte would like a word. 

image.thumb.png.267367f23eeb75b129739c6802d32e99.png

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I thought it was enjoyable enough, but light as air.  I started to forget portions of it before the credits were even finished. It was basically plain Lays potato chips. Fine, I guess. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, mdleast said:

Just watched. Funny, breezy entertainment. Just what I was wanting/expecting. Good for Glenn Powell.

This. It’s a great summer movie. The people criticizing it are acting like it’s supposed to be some sort of cinematic masterpiece based solely on historical facts when the movie itself is very tongue in cheek about the fact that it’s “loosely” based on the Texas Monthly article. It’s supposed to be a light, fun flick and it nails that. Powell’s hitman personas were tons of fun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, royiv said:

This. It’s a great summer movie. The people criticizing it are acting like it’s supposed to be some sort of cinematic masterpiece based solely on historical facts when the movie itself is very tongue in cheek about the fact that it’s “loosely” based on the Texas Monthly article. It’s supposed to be a light, fun flick and it nails that. Powell’s hitman personas were tons of fun.

I would have been better served watching this prior to reading any reviews. I spent a large chunk of the movie thinking "Well it's fine I guess, but it's not THAT good...."

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would have been better served watching this prior to reading any reviews. I spent a large chunk of the movie thinking "Well it's fine I guess, but it's not THAT good...."

I knew essentially nothing before I saw it. Wife came home from a business trip a couple of weeks ago and said she wanted to see it. We go to see a movie pretty much every weekend, especially during the summer, so I looked it up, saw it was playing at the Alamo in BFE Katy, bought tickets and started packing my bag for the long trek out to Cinco Ranch.

On 6/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, mdmost said:

Watched it last night. Very enjoyable. Adria is amazingly hot. I didn't realize she was Bix in Andor. 

Yeah, I became a HUGE fan of hers in Andor. Gonna have to check this movie out.

I generally liked it, a solid B+ summer light-hearted flick, but I can also realize the "point" of the movie had nothing to do with the Hit Man aspect (and TM article) but was rather to spoon-feed us some more Glen Powell as a leading man. The "Gary is such a dork" parts were eye-rolling, it's obviously just Glen doing his 'aw shucks I'm not charismatic' routine and we're to pretend if someone asked us to visualize a community college philosophy professor, his face would come up? Whatever. I had fun in between the eye rolls. And if anything novel came out of the movie to me, it would be Adria. God Damn. 

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We are confused by the movie’s Rotten Tomatoes rating. We thought the movie was solid 80’s, but it’s rated 90’s. That wasn’t a 90’s movie to us. 

It's a percentage. I didn't love it, but I'd recommend it. So I'd be part of that 97%. 

41 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's a percentage. I didn't love it, but I'd recommend it. So I'd be part of that 97%. 

Yes, I described it incorrectly. We have found historically that if 90%+ of people like something, we usually really like it a lot. It didn’t happen this time. It didn’t work for us with Once Upon a Time in the West either. Although days later that movie has definitely stuck with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1