Hit Man - Linklater and Powell

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

We are confused by the movie’s Rotten Tomatoes rating. We thought the movie was solid 80’s, but it’s rated 90’s. That wasn’t a 90’s movie to us. 

RT ratings are confusing to the general public. A 97 score on RT doesn't mean the average review from all critics was 97, just that 97% of critics gave it 3 out of 5 stars or better.

It sucks, because it makes shitty shows look much better reviewed than they really are. Like say that piece of crap The Acolyte, which has a current 85 critics score....but if you read the actual reviews, you see that the vast majority of the reviewers just gave it 3 out of 5 stars (or 6 out of 10, etc).

54 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

RT ratings are confusing to the general public. A 97 score on RT doesn't mean the average review from all critics was 97, just that 97% of critics gave it 3 out of 5 stars or better.

It sucks, because it makes shitty shows look much better reviewed than they really are. Like say that piece of crap The Acolyte, which has a current 85 critics score....but if you read the actual reviews, you see that the vast majority of the reviewers just gave it 3 out of 5 stars (or 6 out of 10, etc).

This is how you end up with something like Hit Man having a higher score than, say, No Country For Old Men. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

This is how you end up with something like Hit Man having a higher score than, say, No Country For Old Men. 

Sacrilege. If Anton Chigurh told Hit Man to “Call it,” Hit Man would piss all over himself. Then Chigurh would shoot him full of holes with that bad ass shotgun.  From a block away.

RT must be pulling down mucho payola.  Shades of Top 40 radio in the 60s.  Yeah, I’m old.  Fuck alla youse.

My definition of good movie isn’t whether it will be studied at UCLA movie critique grad school class….this simpleton just asks whether I’m glad I watched or wish I had chosen something else. 

Glad I watched and glad Bix was in it.  Not fantastic but good enough.

Wife and I watched it last night after the kids went to bed.  Apparently, she liked it enough to get naked and want some sexy time.  That's good enough for me to enjoy it.  

That aside.  I thought it was a fun summer popcorn flick.  Thought Powell was pretty hilarious and showed he does have some solid acting chops.  Bix was an absolute smoke show.  Scarface dude from Walking Dead was pretty solid as a deadbeat, crooked cop.    

I'd give it a 7.5 in terms of something fun, new, and mildly original.  

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Wife and I watched it last night after the kids went to bed.  Apparently, she liked it enough to get naked and want some sexy time.  That's good enough for me to enjoy it.  

"... not sure why she kept calling me Glen, though." 

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Hah, we watched it last night, too, same outcome.  

I’ll say this-it’s much better than the Anne Hathaway cougar romance show I was made to watch last week.  

9 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I’ll say this-it’s much better than the Anne Hathaway cougar romance show I was made to watch last week.  

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

I like the orange hair character. 

glen can act. 💪🏻

IMG_3310.jpeg

A mix of Anton Chigurh and Tilda Swinton. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 5:33 PM, Red Five said:

Totally Agree, RT is bogus.  IMBD is much better.

Another example: Captain American - Winter Soldier - 90% on RT, Forrest Gump - 76% on RT.

IMDB also let's you drill down to individual episode ratings for shows, not sure if RT allows for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2024 at 10:20 AM, LCHorn said:

We watched last night.  I'm on the tail end of COVID so it's been a minute but she promised sex tonight.  If everything goes to plan, then this watching this movie guarantees sex 100%.

In regards to the movie, it was fun.  I'm excited for Powell and wish him all the success as he's an Austin dude.

I do get the sense that he hasn't really reached his final form as an actor and is sort of doing his best McConaughey/Cruise impression.  Perhaps that's what Hollywood is so in love with right now, that he fits pretty much any mold.  If he plays his cards right, which seems already in progress,  he could be the next superstar.